Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2007   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Levi Brown vs. Texans D-Line

I know its only pre-season but this is a dream match-up for me to watch Levi will start @ RT (starter Oliver Ross is injured) so he will get considerable game time experience & it will be fun to watch him protect Matt Leinart against the Texans pass rush. it would really be interesting to see Mario Williams vs. Levi Brown head to head match-up but since Mario plays RDE it seems remote.

A key area the Texans need to address in this game will be improving the pass rush. The rookie (Levi Brown) should be in for a long day of learning welcoming him into the NFL- baptism by fire

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...rdsnb0815.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 08-15-2007 at 11:28 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #2
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Levi Brown vs. Texans D-Line

I hope we can get good pressure against the Cardinals. Their offensive line gets almost as much criticism as ours.

By the way, I still love the Bears not getting a sack on Schaub.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
I hope we can get good pressure against the Cardinals. Their offensive line gets almost as much criticism as ours.

By the way, I still love the Bears not getting a sack on Schaub.
It was nice that he didn't get sacked, but he only attempted 5 passes and at least a few of those were quick releases.

It was have been almost impossible for him to get sacked
Old 08-15-2007   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona's coach thought that Brown did well with his run blocking, but had lot's of work on his pass blocking/protection. I always thought that Brown had that same balance coming into the NFL, making him more a RT candidate. With any semblance of a rush from the left, especially with stunting, this rookie will get turned around. I'm sure that the LB's and secondary will hug the left just a little more to try to shut down the strong side run.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-15-2007 at 06:49 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #5
real

I'm not that high on Levi...I think 5 was waaaay to early to take him...Maybe around 15 or so would have been good...

No doubt he's a good man run blocker but, IMHO, that's just about all he's good at...

Last edited by real; 08-15-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
It was nice that he didn't get sacked, but he only attempted 5 passes and at least a few of those were quick releases.

Out of his 5 passes, one was a bootleg, one was a 3 step drop, and there were at least 2 5 step drops. I think that last one was a 5 step drop as well but I couldn't tell from the tape because they didn't show his full drop. On the one that Walters dropped, it was a 5 step drop but he took another couple of baby steps to dodge the rush.

This stuff about all we do is throw 3 step drop passes because our protection is so bad is starting to be a pet peeve of mine. Most of our passes are 5 step drops.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Out of his 5 passes, one was a bootleg, one was a 3 step drop, and there were at least 2 5 step drops. I think that last one was a 5 step drop as well but I couldn't tell from the tape because they didn't show his full drop. On the one that Walters dropped, it was a 5 step drop but he took another couple of baby steps to dodge the rush.

This stuff about all we do is throw 3 step drop passes because our protection is so bad is starting to be a pet peeve of mine. Most of our passes are 5 step drops.
Sure would be sweet if we could get the all-22 viewpoint instead of the sucky network feed.
Old 08-15-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm not that high on Levi...I think 5 was waaaay to early to take him...Maybe around 15 or so would have been good...

No doubt he's a good man run blocker but, IMHO, that's just about all he's good at...
the risk reward is almost as great for Offensive Tackles as it is for QB's you never know for sure, you project the best you can & hope your system works to his strengths.

if Levi was available @ 10 I would have taken him over Okoye, he can play the left or the right side it just so happens Matt Leinart is lefthanded. while some suggest this plays into his strength I just don't see it after being Joe Pa's starting LT @ Penn State four years. for his size & bulk hes developed nimble feet & better technique than you might expect, hence the projection & the fact these big guys are rare & hard to aquire.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

That isn't really correct...there were a couple of plays (at least one for sure) where Carr probably takes a sack...especially the one to Walter that he dropped.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the risk reward is almost as great for Offensive Tackles as it is for QB's you never know for sure, you project the best you can & hope your system works to his strengths.

if Levi was available @ 10 I would have taken him over Okoye, he can play the left or the right side it just so happens Matt Leinart is lefthanded. while some suggest this plays into his strength I just don't see it after being Joe Pa's starting LT @ Penn State four years. for his size & bulk hes developed nimble feet & better technique than you might expect, hence the projection & the fact these big guys are rare & hard to aquire.
what's your obsession with the Penn St T? He is in your avatar and you seem kinda obsessed with him....right now he is just a rookie who has yet to prove anything....come clean, he's your brother in law right?

Old 08-15-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
That isn't really correct...there were a couple of plays (at least one for sure) where Carr probably takes a sack...especially the one to Walter that he dropped.
I agree. Carr would've been curled up like a little pill bug by the time the DB touched him.

Let's face it. Teams are going to bring the house on us until we burn them. It's our history, stack the box because they can't beat us through the air. I pray that times will change this season.
Old 08-15-2007   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I pray that times will change this season.
They will...As soon as they blitz and leave A.J 1 on 1 and he takes a 5 yard slant 75 yards for a score...
Old 08-15-2007   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown would have been worthless in Houston. He's a big monster, made for Whisenhunt's power run, but would have been useless in the ZBS.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
They will...As soon as they blitz and leave A.J 1 on 1 and he takes a 5 yard slant 75 yards for a score...
Old 08-15-2007   #15
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

i think our o-line had definitly imroved over the last couple years, still is not the best it can be but it good now, i mean with bears D schaub not sacked! thats a first!
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what's your obsession with the Penn St T? He is in your avatar and you seem kinda obsessed with him....right now he is just a rookie who has yet to prove anything....come clean, he's your brother in law right?
Well vinny one thing is for sure they take LB at ten he would of been the best player on the roster.
Old 08-15-2007   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well vinny one thing is for sure they take LB at ten he would of been the best player on the roster.
LMAO!!! BWWWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA

Signed,

Andre Johnson
Old 08-15-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't understand this...what does this have to do with Beerlover's obsession with Levi Brown? I mean...that's Levi Brown in his avatar...just wondering what the deal is since he has been non stop Levi Brown pimping since way before the draft.

Old 08-15-2007   #19
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

Quote:
I don't understand this...what does this have to do with Beerlover's obsession with Levi Brown? I mean...that's Levi Brown in his avatar...just wondering what the deal is since he has been non stop Levi Brown pimping since way before the draft.
mabey its a weird obsession that he just cant get rid of?
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of people must be underestimating Brown ? I know I was, because I really thought that Joe Staley was a better prospect than Brown as a LT. And of course Brown is in effect the LT in AZ because as
the teams RT he will be the one responsible for lefty Leinerts backside.
But I was stunned to see hin go #5 overall, but the new AZ HC was a longtime OC for the Steelers so gotta assume he knows offensive personnel. Beerlover hyped him early but to his credit he defintely saw the talent that a lot of us didn't. #5 overall is definitely testimony to that fact.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read