Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2007   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John McClain lashes back at all you chicken littles

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5055236.html

Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: John McClain lashes back at all you chicken littles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
That's about right - no conclusions can be drawn about poor aspects of the team, but they can be about good aspects. Everybody is good except Van Pelt. Poor guy.
Old 08-15-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's see, now. Here are some of your chief complaints about the Texans after their preseason opener: Gary Kubiak should have been more aggressive in his play-calling. Mario Williams is a bust. Matt Schaub can't throw. Ahman Green is over the hill. Kevin Walter can't catch. Mario Williams is a bust. The offensive line is terrible. The defensive line is terrible. And Bob McNair should sell the team.

Oh, did I forget to mention that Mario Williams is a bust?
Quote:
Now, to those of you who actually have exhibited common sense, here are some of the things we know:

• Kubiak took a vanilla approach to his play-calling, as every coach does in the first preseason game.
• The coaches wanted to see if Schaub made the right decisions during his brief time on the field. He did. He'll take 30 snaps at Arizona on Saturday and play almost three quarters in the next game against the next-Super-Bowl-champion Cowboys.

• Green barely touched the ball, which means you couldn't tell anything about him during the first preseason game. Green's 30, but here's a prediction that he'll break Domanick Davis' season rushing record of 1,188 yards.

• Walter let a ball get away from him he should have caught, but he also got 15 yards behind a cornerback after he got away with a shove.

• The offensive line isn't terrible. Neither is the defensive line.

Now, Mario, well, we'll have to wait and see.

The only thing that's obvious this week is that you can't tell squat after the first preseason game.
Translation: Well, I gotta admit that you folks are right about one thing.

Mario Williams is a bust.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see JM's article right after the game? He was just as critical or more so than the fans. It's so funny how he changes his tune. Actually I think he does that just to give himself more stuff to write about.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Did anyone see JM's article right after the game? He was just as critical or more so than the fans. It's so funny how he changes his tune. Actually I think he does that just to give himself more stuff to write about.
Aw . . now just a minute here! You wouldn't be insinuating that the John McClain that we have all come to know and love, is nothing but a flip flopping opportunistic hack, now would you? Perish that thought!

Oh, I know . . . he has a right to change his mind.

(He didn't change it on one thing, though)

Last edited by Marcus; 08-15-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 08-15-2007   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I was going to say the same thing. If the most senior writer in Houston on the NFL would actually cover the Texans then this would not be happening in my opinion. McClain sucks as a writer since I have been a Texan fan. He may have been terrific in the past, but I can't read anything he writes on any subject.
Old 08-15-2007   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I was going to say the same thing. If the most senior writer in Houston on the NFL would actually cover the Texans then this would not be happening in my opinion. McClain sucks as a writer since I have been a Texan fan. He may have been terrific in the past, but I can't read anything he writes on any subject.
Yeah, I used to enjoy McClain during the Oilers day, but his Texans coverage has been weak at best.
Old 08-15-2007   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, the Texans until recently haven't done a whole lot to write about.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

While I agree with those who question McClains basic skills as a journalist (he can tell entertaining stories sometimes, but lets face it, he just can't write very well), I do agree with the essence of this story.
The final result of the Bears game was meaningless in terms of the Texans regular season. Individual performanes were important for some players who are trying to secure a place on the roster or move up on the DC. For example,
one Danny Clark will start in this weekends game in part because of his performance agains the Bears. If this start will further enhance his rating in the eyes of the Texans coachs and depending on what Charlie Anderson and others do the rest of preseason, he may in fact start in the regular season
opener against the Chiefs.
Now on the subject of Mario. I'm not really that worried about his production in this game, but its kinda annoying that he appeared to play with a lack of interest or motivation. I watched Julius Peppers play the same way the other day on the NFLNetwork in his preseason premier, but he's an established veteran NFL star who has no cred issues.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

It's obvious that Schaub should complete every pass, Walter make every catch and wind up in the end zone, Mario sack the QB on every play and Our offensive line pancake every single defender coming their way every time. Anything less is cause for total panic and means we stink.

Everyone knows that.
Old 08-15-2007   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Now on the subject of Mario. I'm not really that worried about his production in this game, but its kinda annoying that he appeared to play with a lack of interest or motivation. I watched Julius Peppers play the same way the other day on the NFLNetwork in his preseason premier, but he's an established veteran NFL star who has no cred issues.
Well, if that's what it was, that he just lacked interest or motivation, that's one thing.

But according to others, like xtru, the effort and motivation was actually there, but it made no difference . . . and he "is what he is".

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 08-15-2007   #12
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to agree with his column, flip-floppy or not.
Old 08-15-2007   #13
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, he must have been reading the posting that xtruroyalty and I were doing.

I thought he would identify with me.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: John McClain lashes back at all you chicken littles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post

*cough* reiterate what was said and insert WTF does Anna Megan get press credintials as well? *edit* *cough*
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Last edited by Yankee_In_TX; 08-15-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The preseason is so funny.

If you suck, people say "The presseason doesnt mean anything"

If you look great, people say "The preseason display shows a lot to be happy about"

Its funny
Old 08-15-2007   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The preseason is so funny.

If you suck, people say "The presseason doesnt mean anything"

If you look great, people say "The preseason display shows a lot to be happy about"

Its funny
What was our record last preseason???

OK... So preseason means nothing!
Old 08-15-2007   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

John McClain is so cool. remember when he lost his shoes and had to walk all over the broken glass from when he broke the window when he swung off the roof with the firehose because the roof was about to explode.

Man that was cool
Old 08-15-2007   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageFerguson View Post
John McClain is so cool. remember when he lost his shoes and had to walk all over the broken glass from when he broke the window when he swung off the roof with the firehose because the roof was about to explode.

Man that was cool
POTD
Old 08-15-2007   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
What was our record last preseason???

OK... So preseason means nothing!
The point was that 2 years ago we sucked in the preaseason and everyone said "the preseason means nothing, we will be fine" And then guess what/ We sucked to the tune of a 2-14 record

Then last season we were great in the preseason and everyone said that we had had an amazing turn around and that our team was on its way to its first ever 0.500 or better record. Suddenly the preseason did mean something. And then the 1st three games cames and went and our defense gave up an average of like 500 yards per game. Our running game was averaging almost 5 ypc in the preseason, and guess what? Everyone said "the preseason shows me our run game will be great." Then what? STUFFED in the regular season.

Now this preseason comes and our starters don't play particularly lights out in the 1st game, and everyone says "The preseason is meaningless" again.

The line changes depending on the performance, and thats why its funny
Old 08-15-2007   #20
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageFerguson View Post

Man that was cool
Yippee kiy yiy yay Mo F'er

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read