Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2007   #1
htexfan
Rookie

Default Thoughts on running backs

What are your thoughts on the running backs that we have? Which of these do you think has the most potential for us?

Green
Lundy
Gado
Dayne
Walker
Taylor
htexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Thoughts on running backs

Green for a year or two- Taylor if he can stay healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #3
htexfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Green for a year or two- Taylor if he can stay healthy.
I was thinking the same thing.
htexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #4
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

lundy, he is young and fast he need to train under green and learn how to use the run game correctly and lundy will one day be great here, i mean even last season wali was number 2 on the team in rushing stats he had 476 yards and 4tds in 8 started games, ok so think about it if he would have started 16 games he would have like 1000 yards and 8 td's, with that in mind compare him to a few rookies from last year as well: Reggie Bush with 8 started games had 565 yards 6 tds so if he started 16 he would have had around 1200 yards and 12 td's, wow wali is up there with reggie, wow crazy huh? no not really we just have to give this guy a chance, lets not let go off him cause it could end up like drew brees bad in SD amazing in NO so lets not risk that.

Last edited by JohnsonFan; 08-15-2007 at 12:34 AM.
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #5
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are throwing stats around in support of Lundy, my favourite is that Lundy had more 20+ yard runs than one Reggie Bush. (4-0)

I think all those backs can bring something to the table, Walker I don't know about because I don't know him well enough, but Green, Dayne, Gado, Lundy and Taylor when he is fit all bring something to the table. I think we are deep and strong at RB.
Old 08-15-2007   #6
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If we are throwing stats around in support of Lundy, my favourite is that Lundy had more 20+ yard runs than one Reggie Bush. (4-0)

I think all those backs can bring something to the table, Walker I don't know about because I don't know him well enough, but Green, Dayne, Gado, Lundy and Taylor when he is fit all bring something to the table. I think we are deep and strong at RB.
see definitly, wali is very talented the texans organization for some reason is not going to utilize him this year or atleast that how it looks, Lundy and Andre Johnson are my two favorate texans, one is a probowler allstar the other hasnt proven him self yet and i know he will! I personally think wali is more talented than ron dayne and can back up ahman, it makes me angry though that after a great rookie season the texans wont use him!
Old 08-15-2007   #7
JohnsonFan
All Pro

ok i am going to take what i said in here and make a lundy thread... peace out
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2007   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by htexfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
I didn't intentionally think... I just blurted it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #9
JohnsonFan
All Pro

wali all the way!
Old 08-15-2007   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the running backs that we have? Which of these do you think has the most potential for us?

Green
Lundy
Gado
Dayne
Walker
Taylor
- Green will be "the guy" this year and the next.
- Unless he picks up where he left off last December, Dayne may be gone after this year.
- Walker may make the PS this year and push Gado and Lundy as Green's replacement. Unless we draft a wunderkin next year, one of these guys will emerge in 09.
- Taylor is an unknown until I see how he recovers from his injury. Domanick taught me never to assume a guy will come back all the way.

Opinions subject to change without notice.
Old 08-15-2007   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Green is an over the hill great running back. Im not saying he doesnt have anything in his tank, but he's not our long term (read 2-5 year) solution. He's going ot be a monster this year, but he will start slowing down within the next 2 years

Dayne is a never-was back that is performing very well in our system. He should be around for a few more years, but should never be our #1 guy as he just doesnt have the burst we need to go the distance. You can't have a #1 without the potential for a big gain, or the opposing defenses will cheat up every time.

Lundy, Taylor, Gado, and Walker are all backups. None of them really shows me anything special. I think they all have a lot more upside that Dayne, but they are all missing that key ingredient to being great. None of them really has any top end speed to speak of, and only Taylor has any initial quickness.
Old 08-15-2007   #12
JohnsonFan
All Pro

we are really deep in RB's this year huh
Old 08-15-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Green
Lundy
Gado
Dayne
Walker
Taylor
Who ever they draft in '08.
Old 08-15-2007   #14
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 10 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
crosses fingers hoping for Darren McFadden
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #15
JohnsonFan
All Pro

we would need to suck to get 1st pick, why hope for that lets hope we can do well with what we have!
Old 08-15-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are drafting high enough to take McFadden, I will be extremely pissed off!!! (unless of course the pick is through a trade).
Old 08-15-2007   #17
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I'm cheering for Walker. When I saw him play in college, the first I thought was, "We need to draft this guy. He'd be perfect in our system." Of course, I don't know anything, but I'm excited that we have him. Plus, we didn't even have to draft him. Wow. I think he'll work for us down the road.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We won't draft any RBs in 08.

All DEs...
Old 08-15-2007   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Steve Slaton baby!

The Texans have needed a franchise back since day one, and missed out on Portis. Green is the only real starter out of the bunch, the rest are career backups at best.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need a franchise back as bad right now as we need to shore up the secondary and the O-line. We only have one starter. Well, that's just fine, because only one can start anyway.

As far as drooling over those high draft picks, it's been studied and decided that top ten draft picks cost more than they're worth to a team, and that's what keeps some teams picking in the top ten every year, now that we have a salary cap. The players that seem to be worth the most per dollar spent are late first rounders.

I would also venture to say, after the experiences going from our fullback when we had DD/DW to Cook to Leech, that I might be just as concerned about the fullback anyway, which is a much more cost-effective goal to have.

In short, I don't want a top 10 pick, anyway. In fact, I don't want a top 20 pick next year. A nice late-twenties pick would be nice.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read