Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-13-2007   #1
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A rival fan boards view of our D-line

I went looking on a Bears board to see what they had to say about the game on Sat. I didn't expect to see this.

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...ad/553940.aspx

Quote:
I know some of you are going to argue that they only gave up one sack with over 40 passes, but they really did look bad last night. Just when Grossman was in there, there were a couple of plays where guys came thru the line scott free (not on blitzes). I only think Rex was checking down so much because he really didn't have any time to look down field. I hope Angelo finally wakes up next year and brings in some yound tackles.
And this one where we put concerns on their mind about their O-line.

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...ad/554643.aspx

Last edited by Overalls; 08-13-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A rival fan boards view of our D-line

Just goes to show what a little perspective will give you.

I went back through and watched the defensive plays for the first string defense. We weren't blitzing. Usually there was someone around Grossman even though we really didn't get to him; Mario was in his face on one throw and coming around behind him on another, Amobi got through the line once, Kalu got through a couple of times, Babin was at his feet another time or two. And even though we weren't blitzing, he was having to check down a lot. That means that either we were covering really well downfield or Rex was just not seeing his open receivers.

If we had been blitzing, we would have been getting some real pressure.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting find.

Hopefully this puts us in good stead for the season if we can get a good 4 man push going meaning we can do more in coverage to generate some turnovers.
Old 08-14-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think our coaches are going to show a lot in pre-season. People are getting too wrapped up in meaningless games, but why should we tip our hand so early? Don't give our regular season early opponents anything to really watch on film, IMO.

Our D-line was suspect to me, but it is interesting to see how others view it. I figured the Bears have a good line, so we couldn't expect too much. But cool to see another perspective to keep us in line.
Old 08-14-2007   #5
htexfan
Rookie

I believe our d-line will generate some pressure this year especially if babin is a starter and plays the way he did on Sat. It's the o-line that I really worry about. If they don't hold up Shaub will have to make quick passes and our play book will be limited like it was for Carr. If a team knows you are week on the o line their defense can concentrate more on the short pass and shut the run down. Other teams had our number last year because they knew what we were going to do. When we can start making passes over say 25 yards we will really have something to cheer for.
htexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand why they didn't blitz against the Bears.

You can make it to your advantage by showing it. Example, the offense sees it on film, you show that tendacy and come with the a different package or don't blitz at all.

It's a long season and trying to save something from preseason into the regular season, just doesn't appear that benefical to me considering where the Texans are right now.

Maybe the coaches wanted to see some different things, and blitzing meant they could not see how guys cover and so forth? Maybe see how the 4 upfront guys get the rush going straight up?

In other words, maybe they wanted to analyze some of the players in certain situations and blitzing compromises that analyzation?

Who knows what they were trying to accomplish with that?

My opinion, they need to start bringing the house in the regular season and getting some sacks. Expecting 4 guys to get consistent pressure on the QB is difficult against 5 guys.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #7
real

IMHO, the best thing for our D-line would have probably been for Mario to have been a strongside DE, Weaver to have never been signed, and Babin to play the weakside...
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
IMHO, the best thing for our D-line would have probably been for Mario to have been a strongside DE, Weaver to have never been signed, and Babin to play the weakside...
Do you agree that they are playing him as a RDE? (as opposed to a strong side DE)
Old 08-14-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Do you agree that they are playing him as a RDE? (as opposed to a strong side DE)

I honestly don't know...

I think it's too early to tell...

We'll see as the season goes on...
Old 08-14-2007   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OR
for Weaver to be the strongside DE, Babin play weakside, & Mario never have been drafted
Yep, hindsight is still 20/20 isn't it ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #11
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

Quote:
I honestly don't know...

I think it's too early to tell...

We'll see as the season goes on...
or atleast till the preseason is over
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #12
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see ya...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #13
real

Ok...I didn't see one view of our D-line in those post...

They just talked about how their O-line played terrible...No one gave credit to our D-line...in fact one poster asked were we good, another rattled off some stats and they came to the conclusion that we suck....

We are going to sneak up on a lot of people....especially if Mario ever stops "passing up opprotunities to make plays"....
Old 08-15-2007   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Babin needs to stay on the bench & be a situational pass rush guy, b/c he's terrible against the run.

When we've got a 3rd & long working then we should bring him in.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Babin needs to stay on the bench & be a situational pass rush guy, b/c he's terrible against the run.

When we've got a 3rd & long working then we should bring him in.
He's not "terrible" against the run....

In fact he had a couple nice tackles in run support the other night...
Old 08-15-2007   #16
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I don't understand why they didn't blitz against the Bears.

You can make it to your advantage by showing it. Example, the offense sees it on film, you show that tendacy and come with the a different package or don't blitz at all.

It's a long season and trying to save something from preseason into the regular season, just doesn't appear that benefical to me considering where the Texans are right now.

Maybe the coaches wanted to see some different things, and blitzing meant they could not see how guys cover and so forth? Maybe see how the 4 upfront guys get the rush going straight up?

In other words, maybe they wanted to analyze some of the players in certain situations and blitzing compromises that analyzation?

Who knows what they were trying to accomplish with that?

My opinion, they need to start bringing the house in the regular season and getting some sacks. Expecting 4 guys to get consistent pressure on the QB is difficult against 5 guys.
I suspect that the Texans are concealing there blitz packages for the games that count.

I also suspect that we will get a small glimpse of some of those packages on Aug. 25th.

My $0.02.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read