Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007   #21
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Pep Band" = Embarrassment

Like Ted, I was disappointed when they removed the band from behind the Bull Pen to the field (aren't they called the "Bull Pen Pep Band"?), but to suggest that their behavior is embarassing is something I've never heard. They aren't all "middle-aged" either, so that makes me question the validity of the original poster somewhat. (Guess he REALLY didn't like the elderly "Astro-Nuts")

The band's halftime performances are another thing....it isn't Lamar's fault, but somebody REALLY needs to learn how to mike the band properly. Over the past two seasons I've heard "Thus Spake Zarathustra" & now "YMCA" (two VERY recognizable songs) come out of the speakers so weakly that I couldn't have told you what the tune was with a gun to my head.

I've let the "And that's another Houston Texans...FIRST DOWN!" chant grow on me. If that's what it takes to start getting the crowd into the game more, it's not a bad thing. The Die Hard fans are always involved, but if this helps get the "Shaken, not stirred" crowd on the club-level involved (or at least their kids) then I'm all for it. Heck, I'd like the "Quiet please, Offense at Work" brought back!
Old 08-13-2007   #22
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

I appreciate and admire the sweat and effort and entertainment our Pep Band has given us over the last few years! I love you guys (and Gals)!
Rock on people!
Old 08-13-2007   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
And of course YOU would volunteer to dot the I !!
Of course Yankee would.. We just have to convince him that there is no "I" in Houston Texans...
Old 08-13-2007   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Tahoe View Post
Don't get me wrong here, I'm a big Texans fan. I love football and even played collegiately. And like I said, it is minor in the grand scheme of things, but is an issue that could easily be solved by cutting it.

Texans Chick, my panties are not in a wad. Isn't this where we're supposed to discuss this sort of stuff? You're also in 123 and haven't heard the ridicule that they receive???? I'm not one to call someone out as a liar, so are you sure you're not the one in the band- or perhaps deaf?? j/k

Vinny, I couldn't care less if these goofballs read this. Heck, I hope they do.

Texan Lee, what did I say to suggest I didn't love having a team here?? I cheer as loud as anyone else. If you're referring to the "That's Another Texan's First Down" crap, I have never been to a football game that encourages fans to go wild about something that should be so routine. Like I suggested, let's cheer for the IMPORTANT things like TOUCHDOWNS. This is VERY minor though. I shouldn't have even brought it up since my main peeve is the Pep Band.

Here's my problem with this "Pep Band". We are striving (and struggling) to build a winning franchise that is looked at as a first-class organization. To achieve this first-class franchise, we need to BE first-class both on and off the field. Having a bunch of goofy middle aged men acting like buffoons is counterproductive towards that goal. They act like clowns because, well, that's exactly what they are... CLOWNS. Is that they type of tradition we want to be associated with as we build this franchise... a clown tradition? Do you think the Colts have a congregation of clowns on the first row at the RCA Dome? I don't, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. We're talking about the "Big Time". "The League". "The NFL". Not some second rate deal. Do we want to synonymous with second-rate? I sure don't. The price I paid for my PSLs/Season Tickets sure isn't "second-rate". Just last night there were a couple of Bears fans right in front of me. I overheard them talking/laughing about our "band" earlier. Later, after the announcement that they were going to play at half time, one of them turns around and asks me something like "Which 2A high school did you guys find them at?"

I'm sure they're great fans and even better people. But tubas, trombones, immaturity, and the rest of the foolishness that accompanies them has absolutely no place in an NFL environment.

My intention is not to start an argument. We're all obviously fans- and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am just embarrassed by this foolishness and want us to win and have the most enjoyable experience we can have at the games.... while leaving the Tylenol and Advil at home.
Yes, I sit in 123. (This last game, I traded my tickets with a buddy so I sat in 106). Usually opposing fans sit right in front of me because those are StubHubbed tickets. They've never said anything ugly about the band. I'm guessing you egg the people around you to say what you feel.

And if opposing fans did say something ugly about the band to me, I'd tell them where to go.

Literally, I sit right behind the band, just a few rows. I asked you to specifically state what sorts of things the band was doing, and you mentioned "immaturity and foolishness and clown-like." That's not specific. I've never seen them do anything that would be embarrassing to the organization. And certainly nothing that would merit writing the team or coming to a message board to talk about your trauma.

And if you can state with specificity what you are talking about, there are band members that post here that would listen to your point of view and maybe try to adjust their behavior. But if you just have some sort of phobia about tubas and trombones, it sounds like this is your sensitivity issue.

I would be double plus mad if the Texans organization got rid of the BPPB--they are great, hardworking fans and ambassadors for the teams in the tailgates, stadium and events.

If it gets you all headachy and sour (really, you must have geriatric standards for what is considered loud), you can always move locations in the stadium. It is easy to do. People do it every day. Then you can sell or swap your ticket with someone who appreciates these hard working people who make the game day experience more fun.

The few times I take my daughter to the games, she loves the BPPB. And if you see them interacting in the tailgates before the game or in the stadium, you can see how happy they make kids. Your post here reminds me of this:

NFL Mascot Has Blog: Talks a Little Junk

As I said, the way to improve the Texans image is to have the team win. Nothing more, nothing less. I still haven't seen anything in what you are talking about that suggests having a team band is second rate, and it just sounds like you dislike seeing the happiness in others.
Old 08-13-2007   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a season ticket holder since the beginning and I dig the pep band. It is a football GAME. We should never forget the origins of the sport, or the simple fact that it is an entertainment medium. Music is part of that package.

I wish they would mike the band better, though. Going from pre-recorded music to the band is a big dropoff. With the kind of money the franchise has to put on these events, they need to get a sound engineer that understands the concept of miking a live band for a PA system.

And the "Another Texans firstdown" is alright. It keeps the fans in the game, and gives us something to cheer about for the offense (considering that we are supposed to be quiet when the O is on the field).
Old 08-13-2007   #26
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: "Pep Band" = Embarrassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
And of course YOU would volunteer to dot the I !!
Heck yeah. But there's no 'I" in T. (buh dum ching!)
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 08-13-2007   #27
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: "Pep Band" = Embarrassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Of course Yankee would.. We just have to convince him that there is no "I" in Houston Texans...
Crapola.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2007   #28
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

4x4 tahoe, i recommend you take some zinc.
Old 08-13-2007   #29
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the Pep Band. There were games in the past few years where the band were the only ones who were still happily sharing their music. I love them wandering around the lots during tail gating getting everyone in the football mood.

These folks are a great group of fans who love music and football - there ain't nothin' wrong with that and there is a lot of good. I, personally, prefer walking into the stadium with the Pep Band playing than the "Band of the Year." It is more like a football game and the Pep Band represents the Texans better.

I wish the band would be given more prominence, return to their original place in the Bull Pen, get a better sound system around them, and let them play more.

I've been a season ticket holder since day 1 and I've never heard anyone complain about the Pep Band...ever.

Not only can you not please 70,000+ folks all of the time - you can't even please all of them some of the time.

Rock and Play On Pep Band.
Old 08-13-2007   #30
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a pep band? Sweet. They need to play that noise that the TV makes when someone screws up..."whhhaw, whaw" with the tuba.
Old 08-13-2007   #31
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And the "Another Texans firstdown" is alright. It keeps the fans in the game, and gives us something to cheer about for the offense (considering that we are supposed to be quiet when the O is on the field).

I like "Another Houston Texans.....FIRST DOWN!!" myself. I remember in some of those games when we were getting our brains kicked in and they kept doing the first down thing. I wasn't too keen on it at that time. I just said it sarcastically then. I was really frustrated that day.
Old 08-13-2007   #32
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the band is pretty embarassing myself. I haven't heard any original material from them...
Old 08-13-2007   #33
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's called a sense of humor.

You can find one in the box marked "Sense of Humor".

Take what you need but please, use what you take.
Old 08-13-2007   #34
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's called a sense of humor.

You can find one in the box marked "Sense of Humor".

Take what you need but please, use what you take.
You took that seriously???

Do I need to put j/j on the end, or a smiley?
Old 08-13-2007   #35
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Count me as another fan of the BPPB. Every organization has something that makes it a bit different from the others. As another poster mentioned the Redskins have a marching band as do the Ravens I believe. Most teams in the league will have something unique or different about them, but it doesn't make them second class organizations. The bottom line is the only people on the field that will determine how others view the Houston Texans are the players, coaches, & FO folks. If we win out on the field then we begin to earn respect as a team and an organization.
Old 08-13-2007   #36
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
I like "Another Houston Texans.....FIRST DOWN!!" myself. I remember in some of those games when we were getting our brains kicked in and they kept doing the first down thing. I wasn't too keen on it at that time. I just said it sarcastically then. I was really frustrated that day.
I like it when we are playing well. If we're losing 30-3 in the 3rd quarter and getting our ass handed to us in a silver platter, then I don't think they should do it.

Thanks to Premier
Old 08-13-2007   #37
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get how a band makes the football team or the organization better or worse. Do you pay your 1st rate prices for your PSL's to watch the band or a football team? If the band wasn't there Saturday night, would the Texans have slaughtered the Bears? Maybe if the Texans painted all the seats black, that would make them 1st class. Or how about if the cheerleaders were biker chicks with tatoos all over and drove into the stadium on Harleys choking down Malboro's, that would give the team that toughness you're looking for.

I understand that this is a forum and you have the right to complain, I just think sometimes people complain for the sake of complaining.

thatsbulltailgaters.net

Last edited by Speedy; 08-13-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2007   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
You took that seriously???

Do I need to put j/j on the end, or a smiley?
Sorry, I wasn't talking to you. I was addressing the original poster on this thread.
Old 08-13-2007   #39
because I can
That's why!

I am completely shocked and disgusted by your comments about the Pep Band. As a young woman in the band I am usually the first one to be annoyed with so called “goofy” behavior, but as it is, I have NEVER been embarrassed by any behavior our young men exhibit. I have been more embarrassed by some of the fans who sit behind us in their drunken stupors and yell inappropriate comments to players on the field. I have never been “shocked” as you say with anything our members have done or said. Most of us are public educators who wouldn’t risk acting inappropriately while young children and parents watch our every move.
We are here to entertain the fans when sometimes there is no hope to be had. I am a proud member of this organization, and I am sorry to tell you that we are not going anywhere.
Old 08-13-2007   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by because I can View Post
I am completely shocked and disgusted by your comments about the Pep Band. As a young woman in the band I am usually the first one to be annoyed with so called “goofy” behavior, but as it is, I have NEVER been embarrassed by any behavior our young men exhibit. I have been more embarrassed by some of the fans who sit behind us in their drunken stupors and yell inappropriate comments to players on the field. I have never been “shocked” as you say with anything our members have done or said. Most of us are public educators who wouldn’t risk acting inappropriately while young children and parents watch our every move.
We are here to entertain the fans when sometimes there is no hope to be had. I am a proud member of this organization, and I am sorry to tell you that we are not going anywhere.
Judging by the responses to original poster's comments, it would seem that most of us appreciate the BPPB!! We especially appreciate y'all coming to visit us at Blue Crew!!!

Just remember, you can't please everyone, because some people are just meant to be miserable!!

SO, thank you and keep up the great work!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read