Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2007   #1
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default One things for sure!

In the name of everything Holy....

Van Pelt is freaking terrible! Holy crap, how much of that did we need to see? Dude could of ran for 15 yards and he goes bowling and throws the ball to no one. The only person he hit all night was a Bear right in the chest and he couldn't even catch a Van Pelt pass. I will have serious doubts about the FO if they even let him think about taking another snap in a game, practice, or the dang parking lot.

What scares me...

I understand that it really doesn't mean much to win in preseason. But like Coach Ditka said in the NFL replay of the game, it's all about having good habits and winning games is a good habit to get into. I saw the guys leaving the field I think it was Studdard hanging his head. I do not want them to beat themselves up and get down, and lack confidence right out of the block because of a preseaon game in which the staff felt they needed to do Van Pelt a favor, or to see some more of his skills.

This is what I don't get. If we say it's just preseaon and we don't care to win I'm cool with the way things played out. But Kubiak, don't come out and say we wanted to win or it's a confidence builder when we win in preseason (not sure that he did). Kubiak should not even talk about losing the game since he allowed that sorry excuse for a QB to continue to play. We were up 19 - 7, and numb nutz can't even hand the ball off without a turnover, much less convert a 1st down. I do not blame our 3rd string "D" because they didn't get much of a rest with Van P leading the offense.

Then the icing on the cake...

The game over with Van Pelt at the helm, with seconds remaining & no timeouts remaining you (because apparently only you can) catch your own pass instead of knocking it down to conserve time. This kid doesn't look like a high school caliber player, much less NFL. I do not want to hear of him wasting anymore or our staff's time or focus. Let's cut his butt and see some Porter or Zabransky from now on, can I get an AMEN!

There now, I feel much better.
Old 08-12-2007   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: One things for sure!

there's absolutely no way Zabransky can ruin the game like van pelt did.. hopefully J.Z. gets some reps next saturday.

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 08-12-2007 at 05:43 PM.
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak actually defended him in his press conference, sort of anyway. Good kid, trying to hard, he'll be out there tomorrow working HARD, all that sort of stuff we hear when coaches don't want to tell the truth.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Kubiak actually defended him in his press conference, sort of anyway. Good kid, trying to hard, he'll be out there tomorrow working HARD, all that sort of stuff we hear when coaches don't want to tell the truth.
No doubt. I don't think it is Kubiak's nature to embarrass a kid in the press. I think that was Kubiak speak for... He's gone.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

bug patrol.

When you edit and save it often saves as a new post.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Zabransky has an air about him. We'll see how it translates to the field next week. If he can keep himself under control, he's a lock to make the p.s. In a way he reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia.

It's time for Bradlee to consider a new career path. Porter too.
Old 08-12-2007   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
you guys just don't get it.

Van Pelt is a diversion. It's Kubiak's way of making the fans grade Schaub "on the curve". After watching one quarter with Van Pelt at the helm, Schaub looks like Drew Brees by comparison.
Devilishly clever, eh?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2007   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
you guys just don't get it.

Van Pelt is a diversion. It's Kubiak's way of making the fans grade Schaub "on the curve". After watching one quarter with Van Pelt at the helm, Schaub looks like Drew Brees by comparison.
Devilishly clever, eh?
lol i was thinking about something like that too!
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Van Pelt's father was a linebacker Probowler many times over.........could a favor be called in?

Furthermore, there were doubts at the beginning about the position that he was to play in the NFL. Since he intercepted his own pass, the critics seem to have been proven correct.

Lastly, his emotional stability when faced with pressure and/or adversity should have been predictable from college experiences

Lots of signs............and we have to be the ones stuck with diagnosing the "sickness," "treating" it, and now, hopefully "curing" it.......by "cutting" it out:

Quote:
Bradlee Van Pelt (born July 3, 1980 in Owosso, Michigan) is a quarterback for the Houston Texans. He transferred to Colorado State University from Michigan State University. Widely considered one of Colorado State's greatest quarterbacks, he set numerous records while the starting signal caller there. He is the son of former NFL linebacker Brad Van Pelt.

Despite numerous critics, Van Pelt insists that he is a quarterback, while many believe he could be a standout special teams/defensive back or drop linebacker. A very physical player, Van Pelt dedicates himself to developing himself in the weight room and in the film room. On his first official snap in the NFL, Van Pelt took a shot gun snap from inside the ten yard line and ran into the endzone against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Criticism
Van Pelt has drawn criticism for being too emotional and at times makes embarrassing mental mistakes. Van Pelt once ran a lengthy touchdown in a game versus in-state rival Colorado. Following the play, he crossed the endline, turned and spiked the football into the helmet of the Colorado pursuing safety. On another occasion, during the Colorado-Colorado State football game, Van Pelt flashed the middle finger at fans, prompted CSU Rams head coach Sonny Lubick to re-think his policy of allowing former players on the sidelines for games.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #10
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Hmm...I wonder if he gets to try out for the free safety position.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #11
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog View Post
Hmm...I wonder if he gets to try out for the free safety position.
That isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just because he can't play QB doesn't mean he can't play another position. He just needs to play a position that wouldn't ever have an opportunity to throw a forward pass.
Old 08-12-2007   #12
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
That isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just because he can't play QB doesn't mean he can't play another position. He just needs to play a position that wouldn't ever have an opportunity to throw a forward pass.
Yes, he's 6'2", 220lbs, and he has anger issues and linebacker genes. Oh, plus he's fighting for a job, and we are hoping to find something better than a body to compete for the job. I think it's worth a try.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Furthermore, there were doubts at the beginning about the position that he was to play in the NFL. Since he intercepted his own pass, the critics seem to have been proven correct.
Van Pelt is another guy on the roster I think of as a FOG - Friend Of Garys.
But being the only player in the game who catchs one of the passes has a real sense of irony to it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Van Pelt couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, he would wind up in a tree somehow.

That basically says what I think about his performance.
Old 08-12-2007   #15
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Van Pelt makes Carr look like Peyton Manning...

I mean wow...I couldn't help but laugh at him for some reason...it was just so bad.

Also he is the perfect example of how a QB can make his OL WORSE...you know what I am getting at. He made everyone around him worse.

I bet Lundy was thinking "Man i'll be lucky to make the team if this guy is handing it off to me all preseason."

Last edited by Leahmic223; 08-12-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Van Pelt couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, he would wind up in a tree somehow.

That basically says what I think about his performance.
Well, he didn't have any trouble hitting that DB when he spiked the ball off of his face, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #17
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Zabransky has an air about him. We'll see how it translates to the field next week. If he can keep himself under control, he's a lock to make the p.s. In a way he reminds me of a young Jeff Garcia.

It's time for Bradlee to consider a new career path. Porter too.
Don't we carry 3 QB's? We will need either Zabransky or Porter to be our 3rd string QB because guess who's listed as our 3rd string on our website...

Yep, you guessed it Van Puke!
Old 08-12-2007   #18
dickieb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Van Pelt is another guy on the roster I think of as a FOG - Friend Of Garys.
But being the only player in the game who catchs one of the passes has a real sense of irony to it.
I'm getting a little tired of Gary's favors, I don't think he should be so worried about doing favors for old buddies. I want to see him do what's best for our football team!
Old 08-12-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
Don't we carry 3 QB's? We will need either Zabransky or Porter to be our 3rd string QB because guess who's listed as our 3rd string on our website...

Yep, you guessed it Van Puke!
i am not sure, preseason and depth charts fluctuate ..i don't know if anyone takes much stock in the charts this time of year, players are still jockeying for positons.(or should be)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
Don't we carry 3 QB's?
Not on the 53.

It will be Schaub and Sage on the 53....with Z a likely candidate for the practice squad and Porter and VanPelt released.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read