Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Should probably read "The Good, The Too Early Too Tell, and The Released".

Here we go!

Good - Schaub looked good, Sage looked very sharp, Jacoby was very impressive, Mathis also, Putzier, Hutchins, and Babins stood out.

Too Early - Mario and Amobe? Not enough plays to make an honest opinion. Walters didn't help himself and Gado was so so.

Released - This one is easy. Van Pelt was awful. Lundy looked like he had concrete cleats. Stanley is packing as we speak.

For a team that is supposed to run run run seems like all we did was pass pass pass. For the first preseason game it was really a mixed bag. It is so difficult to judge the players because it's nearly impossible to tell which level of players are on the field from each team. I thought the Yahoo article calling Schaub "unimpressive" was way off base. The third preseason game will really tell us a lot about what this team will look like.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #2
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

You can add the Officiating Crew and the TV Camera Crew to the Bad, and the Computerized Field Advertisements to the Ugly.

The Officiating Crew missed several calls against both teams. Most notably, a holding call against the Bears LT and a pass interference call against a Texans DB.

The TV Camera Crew missed several plays due to running instant replays too long or staying zoomed in on one player too long instead of panning out before the snap.

Finally, those Computerized Field Advertisements for GEICO Insurance are ugly and distracting to the eye. It is one thing to put the Line Of Scrimage and the First Down Line on the field. It is something entirely different to put advertising on the field.
Old 08-12-2007   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
You can add the Officiating Crew and the TV Camera Crew to the Bad, and the Computerized Field Advertisements to the Ugly.

The Officiating Crew missed several calls against both teams. Most notably, a holding call against the Bears LT and a pass interference call against a Texans DB.

The TV Camera Crew missed several plays due to running instant replays too long or staying zoomed in on one player too long instead of panning out before the snap.

Finally, those Computerized Field Advertisements for GEICO Insurance are ugly and distracting to the eye. It is one thing to put the Line Of Scrimage and the First Down Line on the field. It is something entirely different to put advertising on the field.

Did you notice how ABC tried to sneak in an interview right in the middle of the game........during the time that the Bears QB "fumble"
that TJ took into the end zone and was called back..........poor form, rookie misplanning on the part of the ABC Sports directors.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #4
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

I also thought that the first team should have played more than two series. They obviously need the reps. I also disagree with the "find a way to win" talk. Big whup they lost the game with third and fourth string players.
Old 08-12-2007   #5
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Did you notice how ABC tried to sneak in an interview right in the middle of the game........during the time that the Bears QB "fumble"
that TJ took into the end zone and was called back..........poor form, rookie misplanning on the part of the ABC Sports directors.
It isn't ABC Sports. It is Channel 13 responsible for the game. As far as the interviews, if you check out any preseason game around the country on NFL Network today, that is the thing to do. Especailly when there is nothing but preactice squaders on the field. Get someone on TV that people actually know.

With that said, I haven't been impressed with Ch. 13's presentation of a game since year one. Especially now that I am getting to see how other local stations around the country are doing it. Ch. 13 needs to get a new contractor to package these games. The look and presentation doesn't say that this is an NFL football game to me.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Except for missing the wide-open Kevin Walters in the EZ (which I'll write off to first game jitters), I thought Schaub looked good. I especially liked the accuracy and poise under pressure he displayed on another pass to Walters (which should have been caught).
Jason Babin showed intensity and excellect edge quickenss in applying pressure on the QB in a couple of situations.
And I was really impressed with Jacoby Jones ! I could see what a gifted athlete and talented football player he is. And something about him reminded me of the newest WR member of the HOF, Micahel Irvin. He's big, but not quite as big as Irvin but he might be faster. I dunno, but something in his apperance or movments, somehow I sensed a resemblance ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #7
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
It isn't ABC Sports. It is Channel 13 responsible for the game. As far as the interviews, if you check out any preseason game around the country on NFL Network today, that is the thing to do. Especailly when there is nothing but preactice squaders on the field. Get someone on TV that people actually know.

With that said, I haven't been impressed with Ch. 13's presentation of a game since year one. Especially now that I am getting to see how other local stations around the country are doing it. Ch. 13 needs to get a new contractor to package these games. The look and presentation doesn't say that this is an NFL football game to me.
Bob Allen is an *****. I do think that Spencer Tillman's analysis is pretty dead on.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2007   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Good:

Schaub is good under preassure and has a great arm
Babin may not be the bust he has been for years
Aggressive hitting out of the secondary
Jacoby Jones looks like a beast

The Bad:
The run blocking
Schaub lacks speed and mobility. Will be just above a sitting duck in the pocket
Mario being lazy again

The Ugly:
Jordan Black
Lundy
Van Pelt
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Good:

Schaub is good under preassure and has a great arm
Babin may not be the bust he has been for years
Aggressive hitting out of the secondary
Jacoby Jones looks like a beast

The Bad:
The run blocking
Schaub lacks speed and mobility. Will be just above a sitting duck in the pocket
Mario being lazy again

The Ugly:
Jordan Black
Lundy
Van Pelt
Babin has never been a bust..... The guy has been stuck in no man's land between the 3-4 and 4-3. In his first year back at DE, which he hasn't played since college he was our sack leader, to suggest he has been a bust is a big stretch
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Babin has never been a bust..... The guy has been stuck in no man's land between the 3-4 and 4-3.
I kept looking at Babin and asking who is this guy pushing players around? He looks like he is finding his game in his 3rd season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #11
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I kept looking at Babin and asking who is this guy pushing players around? He looks like he is finding his game in his 3rd season.

The Good

Babin had a great game last night. I didn't recognize him on the QB pressure/incomplet pass that TJ ran to the end zone.

Jacoby Jones looked very impressive last night. If he didn't cut back he may have scored.

Mathis, stay healthy, this is what you bring to the team.

Abbate looks to be a legit FB.

Schaub looked very poised and should have had a TD, he will learn from the overthrow.

Turk out kicked Stanley last night. STanley just doen't have that "pop" that Turk has.
The Bad

I was a little dissapointed on the Red Zone efficiency but that is what Pre-Season is for, we have to get it right for the opener.

The Ugly
Now I have to wait 6 more days for a Texan game.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 08-12-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Babin is actually entering his 4th season, but you're right about him pushing the opposition around V. He was kciking butt !
I dunno, what are we gonna do with Mario on third & long if Jason is gonna be our guy at weakside in those situations ? Move him to tackle I guess ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #13
prostock101
Mr. Big

Something else I noted about the Bears defense. I saw several plays where they really made an effort to strip the ball on the tackle. Our guys, not so much. Think I'll fire off an email to Richard Smith and suggest we do the same....

Old 08-12-2007   #14
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Something else I noted about the Bears defense. I saw several plays where they really made an effort to strip the ball on the tackle. Our guys, not so much. Think I'll fire off an email to Richard Smith and suggest we do the same....

I know the Texans have been practicing this in camp because they've shown pictures of the drills for the linebackers anyway. Maybe they need to emphasize it for all defensive players.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 259047 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Babin actually got very good penetration last year, but he played very few overall snaps. With a full year of familiarity, it will be interesting to see who he pushes off the field on passing downs. I'm betting it's Weaver. One thing I've never seen from Babin is "quit". The guy is going to be a pleyer in this league. I'm not predicting All-Pro or anything, but he could be a very solid DE for us for quite a few years.

Those who have read my posts in the past know that this is where I've stood for a while. I am a Babin fan
Old 08-12-2007   #16
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
The Bad

I was a little dissapointed on the Red Zone efficiency but that is what Pre-Season is for, we have to get it right for the opener.
I counted 18 points left on the field last night that probably would have been realized during the regular season.

7 - Schaub's over thrown TD pass.

7- Jacoby not getting both feet in bounds.

4- The 2nd team goal line possesion.

I think we'll be alright.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #17
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Yes. That was a time for them to explain why the TD was called back as well. I never heard a whistle so TJ did the right thing by running it into the endzone. Could Kubiak use a Challenge on a call like that in a regular season game, because I think that would have been a good time to use one?

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 08-13-2007 at 07:13 AM.
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post

Seriously, I just finished watching the game and all I can say is hugh? It looked cheesier than ultimate cheeseberger from jack-n-the-box. Look I understand channle 13 is trying to earn so cash but why put out a crappy product just because you know people are going to watch it, makes absolutely no sense.

How many plays were missed because some producer was sitting on there hand tickling their tonssels.

I really wanted to reach threw my tv the crap out of them and tell them to wake up. And I had DVR the darn thing, that is how maddning it was for me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read