Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2007   #1
MarioWrecksIt

Default Good Things From Tonight

DeMeco looked like a pro bowler just like he did last year only better. We have nothing to worry about as far as he is concerned.
Dunta probably was most impressive to me on the defense. He was everywhere and when he came to make a tackle he was bringing the wood. Gotta love physical corners and Dunta might be pound-for-pound the most physical in the game.
Jacoby Jones looked like he can hang at the NFL level and showed great speed and agility on his punt return. If he can be consistent at receiver we have a legit No. 2.
It was nice to see a QB under pressure that didn't crumble and scamper around like his hair was on fire. Schaub had great poise and pocket presence and made a nice delivery to Walter under a lot of heat, Dont think that could have ever been said about Carr.
Jerome Mathis seems like he is back to his pro-bowl form as a kick returner. He is definitely a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball and is up there with Hester and Dante Hall as far a returners in this league. Maybe he too can convert that talent into talent as a WR.
The OL had pretty good pass protection but needs to work on the zone blocking cause without good zone blocking this system is worthless.
There were a few more good things but these are what stuck out to me... your thoughts???
Old 08-12-2007   #2
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good Things From Tonight

Turk was pretty impressive.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #3
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Jacoby looked pretty damn impressive to me. PLayed with a lot of energy, I really like him.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones impressed the hell out of me.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Kris Brown did a great job. I hope it stays this way.
Old 08-12-2007   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby made some good plays with that 1st punt return and a few nice catches.

Kris Brown made all of his FG's.

Mathis had a really good kickoff return.

Putzier had some good catches, including a TD, and I hope we can see more of that this season.

The Special Teams looked good overall.

The run Defense did pretty well.

I know there was more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
Turk was pretty impressive.
Reallly? I guess we were watching two different players. He got saved on that shank due to a good bounce. I was more impressed with Stanley.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2007   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just love Jacoby Jones! He performed very well indeed both in punt returns and as a WR - especially considering he came from such a small college. I love his attitude, his desire to win, and his love of football. It all showed tonight.

I was pleasantly surprised that Brown did, in fact, make all of his field goals.

I was impressed with Schaub's presence and how he made his reads, kept his focus and still managed to throw the ball with Bears coming at him.

It looks like Mathis is back! That is good to see. If he stays healthy - we will have some great field advantage...and a few extra points.

Dunta was everywhere! He said he was tired of losing and it certainly showed.

Except for DeMeco and Dunta - a few others - the defense needs some serious practice. I don't remember Mario doing anything spectacular. ND did get to the QB once. T. Johnson made a pretty good play.

The atmosphere at Reliant was like a breath of fresh air. The fans were into the game from the moment the team came out. I was surprised at the numbers of folks there and their enthusiasm.

All in all - I was pretty pleased and think we will have a pretty fair team this year. Not Super Bowl good - but we are headed in the right direction.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #9
MarioWrecksIt

I forgot that Jason Babin did a lot of good things tonight. He made a lot of plays from the back side and caught a the RBs from behind and showed a lot of energy that the guy he plays behind (Mario) didn't show. He impressed me along with the special teams as a whole.
Old 08-12-2007   #10
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Reallly? I guess we were watching two different players. He got saved on that shank due to a good bounce. I was more impressed with Stanley.
We must have been, cause that wasnt a shank. He was booting from the 42ish and they even let the clock run out to give him 10 more yards but the Bears didnt take the penalty. He could have kicked it into the stands but did get decent hiegth and left the Bears with less than 20 yards behind them.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #11
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
We must have been, cause that wasnt a shank. He was booting from the 42ish and they even let the clock run out to give him 10 more yards but the Bears didnt take the penalty. He could have kicked it into the stands but did get decent hiegth and left the Bears with less than 20 yards behind them.
Turk's first punt was 58 yards without a bounce and a huge hang time.

His only other punt was the one kravix pointed out that pinned the Bears down by the 10 yd line.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Travis Johnson actually looked like he came to play.
Earl Cochran looked good as did Babin. Our D-line rotation should serve us well late in games.

Andre Davis looked good. Jacoby, as everyone else said, played well.

Sage hit some good passes but he missed a couple too. Guess that's why he's a B/U.

I thought Gado ran hard. He's definitely the #3 guy right now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #13
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed with the special team play.

Kickoffs - for the most part were deep and the coverage was excellent.

Coverage was also really good on the punts. No long returns, pretty good tackling.

Very few penalties - roughing the QB call was really lame.
Old 08-12-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Jacoby looked pretty damn impressive to me. PLayed with a lot of energy, I really like him.
JJ looked a lot closer to John Taylor than Tyron Calico last night. He took his first step last night. Impresive raw athletism. Still a rookie and made some rookie mistakes. Can we Quit cring about the #2 WR now and give this guy a chance to develope ? As I posted befor, four spots for eight guys, someone has to go.

Ryans got crushed on three rushing plays. We still don't have a free safty.
Old 08-12-2007   #15
whiskeyrbl

Overall I think the first string and second string did ok. Along with the guys mentioned above Zach Diles had a decent game. Schaub was poised out there just a little anxious I think on the overthrow in the end zone. Mathis and Jones were great on SP Teams. Jones also made some catches. On the other hand I hope Van Pelt was given his walking papers last night!!!! The coaches wasted a quarter and a half with him out there. Would have much rather seen Zabransky or Porter.
Old 08-12-2007   #16
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the TEAM did well tonight. They made some mistakes but they also did some really good things as well. You can definitely tell that our team is deeper than it has ever been. That is a good thing.
Old 08-12-2007   #17
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On the other hand I hope Van Pelt was given his walking papers last night!!!! The coaches wasted a quarter and a half with him out there. Would have much rather seen Zabransky or Porter.
I totally agree.
Old 08-12-2007   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Its preseason. The team looked good, their looked to be more talent on the field, the OL looked more solid (surprise surprise Carr fanboys), and the Special Teams looked great. We looked just fine when it counted and Schaub is gonna do fine here. I loved seeing him complete a pass over the middle of the field to a tight end and I loved seeing someone stand in the pocket and not run like a little girl.
Old 08-12-2007   #19
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think our 1st string O-line gave Schaub much time at all to throw against the Bears 1st string D (missing Urlacher and others). They looked better for Sage, but that was against a their 2nd string D.
Old 08-12-2007   #20
Topher
Darth Tardis

Rep Power: 6475 Topher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak live on houstontexans.com right now
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read