Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2007   #1
MarioWrecksIt

Default Mario Tonight

What I saw tonight from Mario was piss-poor. He couldn't get off blocks to stop the run, he over pursued at times, and got decent penetration just once. I don't know what his deal is and I know that it is just the first game of the preseason but I expected him to have a lot of energy and explosiveness tonight and I got neither. If he plays like this all season then we made a really big mistake by taking him No. 1. Hopefully he will come around and I think he will but tonight was not a good sign. On a lighter note DeMeco looked like a true pro bowler...I think he might be the most talented player on our team and yes that includes Andre. That kid looks just unbelievable.
Old 08-12-2007   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioWrecksIt View Post
What I saw tonight from Mario was piss-poor. He couldn't get off blocks to stop the run, he over pursued at times, and got decent penetration just once. I don't know what his deal is and I know that it is just the first game of the preseason but I expected him to have a lot of energy and explosiveness tonight and I got neither. If he plays like this all season then we made a really big mistake by taking him No. 1. Hopefully he will come around and I think he will but tonight was not a good sign. On a lighter note DeMeco looked like a true pro bowler...I think he might be the most talented player on our team and yes that includes Andre. That kid looks just unbelievable.
So you thought he would get ten sacks tonight?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario will rock this season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #4
MarioWrecksIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
So you thought he would get ten sacks tonight?
No but I thought he would get up field a little bit, maybe show some good lateral pursuit and blow up the OT at least once...if we were watching the same game then you should agree that he did nothing to show that he has improved dramatically as the press has been telling us from last season. Not saying he won't be great this year but tonight was not a good showing. Nothing bad from him but nothing good.
Old 08-12-2007   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioWrecksIt View Post
No but I thought he would get up field a little bit, maybe show some good lateral pursuit and blow up the OT at least once...if we were watching the same game then you should agree that he did nothing to show that he has improved dramatically as the press has been telling us from last season. Not saying he won't be great this year but tonight was not a good showing. Nothing bad from him but nothing good.
Some people are slow starters. He wasn't really in the game much, hard to get a Good rhythm going. By the time the adrenaline wore off and he was able to settle down he was out of the game.

Not to worried right now. Its just the first preseason game. Now if he doesn't show anything when we play the Cowboys after three quarters, then I am gonna worry.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #6
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am watChing the reply right now. First two plays of the game he drew double teams. First time Benson comes from the backfield to assist second two lineman double up and still had to grab jersey and hold. Next couple of plays were short drops were there was not time for pressure. He did get owned on one play but it happenS. He did have a few over pursuits but all in all I would say it was average. His first live action of the new season at a new playing weight and a healthy foot, I will reserve judgement for the regular season but he does need to step it up! Needs show why he was the first overall pick!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #7
MarioWrecksIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
I am watChing the reply right now. First two plays of the game he drew double teams. First time Benson comes from the backfield to assist second two lineman double up and still had to grab jersey and hold. Next couple of plays were short drops were there was not time for pressure. He did get owned on one play but it happenS. He did have a few over pursuits but all in all I would say it was average. His first live action of the new season at a new playing weight and a healthy foot, I will reserve judgement for the regular season but he does need to step it up! Needs show why he was the first overall pick!
Could not agree more. As I was saying I understand that this is the first preseason and the starters got limited snaps but I just thought he would be a little more explosive. Im not saying his season is going to be another average one by No. 1 pick standards but I didn't see much from him that impressed me. Still have complete faith in him but after what Ive heard and seen in training camp I guess I was just dying to see him dominate the OL. In time it will come tonight just wasnt his night.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2007   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed him getting double teamed when I watched him.
Old 08-12-2007   #9
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I noticed him getting double teamed when I watched him.
From what I remember, he was double teamed in the first set of downs. But after that he was pretty much handled by the tackle. Mario got burned on a couple of running plays as well, mostly due to overpursuing.

The other side of that is Mario was playing against John St. Clair all night, which is Chicago's second string LT. John Tait is first string and didn't play.

I know a lot of y'all aren't worried about this, but I am.

Last edited by Hagar; 08-12-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #10
MarioWrecksIt

Crap
Old 08-12-2007   #11
MarioWrecksIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The other side of that is Mario was playing against John St. Clair all night, which is Chicago's second string LT. John Tait is first string and didn't play.

I know a lot of y'all aren't worried about this, but I am.
Wow didnt know St. Clair was 2nd string thats even worse news.
Old 08-12-2007   #12
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Was hoping for more from Mario too.
Trying not to get too discouraged, especially considering the limited playing time he had.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #13
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't make too much of it. It's pre-season and he has nothing to prove in pre-season.

If he has a bad showing in pre-season some people will say "Oh look he still has not improved"

and if he has a good showing people are going to say "It's pre-season you don't know if the OT was giving full effort."

We don't know if Mario was giving full effort, he has RE pretty much secured, really no reason to go out there and give 100% if you have a spot secured.

Now if this was against the Cheifs i'd be a bit more worried, as it is though I saw him and said "OH well it's preseason."

But Travis Johnson did a good job on the limited time he got in, so did Amobe on a play or two. So that is good to know. Ahman Green didn't go out there and have a good showing...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Needs show why he was the first overall pick!
Actually, it wasn't his fault he was the #1 pick. Most teams would not have had him at #1. He could have easily been a mid 1st rounder. He didn't have a great college career and most had not even heard of him until he hit the weight room during the NFL combines. Maybe the Texans need to explain why he was their #1 pick. At this point I will be happy if he just plays like a first rounder.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #15
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Actually, it wasn't his fault he was the #1 pick. Most teams would not have had him at #1. He could have easily been a mid 1st rounder. He didn't have a great college career and most had not even heard of him until he hit the weight room during the NFL combines. Maybe the Texans need to explain why he was their #1 pick. At this point I will be happy if he just plays like a first rounder.
175 tackles and 25.5 sacks in his 36 game career isn't bad at all. His senior year was even better with 62 total tackles with 24 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, 15 hurries, a safety and a blocked kick. Say what you want about being disappointed in him in our 1st pre season game, but to say he didn't have a great college career is crazy.

Anyways, Mario looked alright tonight, it's really hard to gauge his pass rush skills when Grossman wouldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards. I still expect alot more from him, but it's only pre season, no need to worry.
Old 08-12-2007   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me or does anyone else think that our 6'-7" man-child should go in with his ARMS UP. I've never seen him do that. If he isn't getting penetration or he sees its a short, 3-step route, why doesn't he raise those damned tree limbs and block a pass or two. At least take away the passing lane or obscure the QBs vision....

...is that too much to ask? Or would that be considered extra effort?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I still intend to give Mario the benefit of the doubt through the preseason. But the "fire" that people are talking about, whether he reached the QB last night or not, was blatantly lacking. I can't help but go back to the Lamborghini video. That is the 1st time I had reason to doubt his maturity...........I think I now have a 2nd.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
175 tackles and 25.5 sacks in his 36 game career isn't bad at all. His senior year was even better with 62 total tackles with 24 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, 15 hurries, a safety and a blocked kick. Say what you want about being disappointed in him in our 1st pre season game, but to say he didn't have a great college career is crazy.

Anyways, Mario looked alright tonight, it's really hard to gauge his pass rush skills when Grossman wouldn't throw the ball more than 5 yards. I still expect alot more from him, but it's only pre season, no need to worry.
Now that's a post worth a rep. Carr 's gone you hens gotta work youselves up about something...I guess Mario is going to be your whipping boy from here on out. I guess if he can't get there in two seconds that means he's a bust ? What i saw was a guy killing himslef tring to live up to expectations. The big news about last night was that we're loaded at DT and the odds are a couple of our guys we're going to see again on the other side of the field in another game down the road in a different uniform after we release them.
Old 08-12-2007   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Former No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams didn't make any noise in his first preseason outing. Williams played at left end on the first two series of the game. He had no tackles and no quarterback hurries.

"I was basically just going out there and running around and trying to get a feel for it and then making adjustments," Williams said. "I probably should have made some adjustments earlier since I was only out there for so long. But it's only preseason."
MARIO
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #20
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Without a doubt Mario is now the new whipping boy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read