Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 1st half impressions?

I can't see the game

who suprised you?
how was the OL blocking?

from what i read, D-line didn't get much pressure

how was the secondary looking?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #2
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default First Half Thoughts

Just some random thoughts on the first half of the preseason:

(1) Special Teams look pretty good, which was to be expected with the increased depth and competition accross the board. Brown has hit four close field goals and his kick-offs look good. We seem to be getting to the ball pretty well. Our return game will be good with Mathis and Jacoby Jones.
(2) QBs - We didn't see much of Matt, but he looked fine. I think he looked good under pressure and seemed to get the ball off pretty quick. I think his best play was a quick throw to Walter (which was dropped) - Matt made just enough of a move to buy some time, may the right read and a great throw. Sage looks solid.
(3) OL - Good news was that I haven't seen a sack. The first string OL wasn't asked to do too much pass blocking wise, but there still seemed to be a good amount of pressure. IMO opinion, the run blocking didn't look good at all. Second string OL got off to a slow start, but we took some shots down the field late in the second half...and had the time to do it, which is positive.
(4) RB/ TE - Nothing really stood out to me...did anyone else pick up on anything?
(5) WR - Andre is Andre. With limited opportunities, Walter looked unimpressive, dropping a ball for a first down that he should have had. I will admit that I was not a fan of the Jacoby pick, but he is the one player that stood out to me in the first half. The NFL doesn't look too big for him, I am impressed by his size and speed, he is a guy who looks to make plays, had a couple of nice grabs for first downs, looked solid catching punts and had one nice return. That being said, he still looks a little raw, he made an ill advised attempt on a return and let a ball hit off his pads. I was wrong...I think he can definitely make an impact this year. The guy is athletic and seems to be getting open.
(6) DL - I was frustrated by the first string. I was hoping to see more. We seemed to get a little pressure on the left side, but nothing much from Mario. Does anyone else see something, is he getting doubled? It may be in my head, I just don't see the effort you would hope to see.
(7) LB - Looks solid. Dameco picked up where he left off.
(8) DBs - First string didn't look too bad. We had a pick. Solid tackling. The second string had one bad series and Bennett got burned on a TD.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #3
real

Default Re: 1st half impressions?

My impression: We're going to sneak up on a lot of teams this year...We are noticeably more talented
Old 08-11-2007   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
My impression: We're going to sneak up on a lot of teams this year...We are noticeably more talented
that the Texans are more talented is not a question. I agree. Can we go 8-8 this year, or better?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #5
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
that the Texans are more talented is not a question. I agree. Can we go 8-8 this year, or better?

I think we are a better team, but there is no way to determine how that is going to work out in the context of an NFL season. Can we go 8-8...sure. Could we be a better team and have the same record, but just lose a couple of close ones...sure.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #6
real

I think we easily go 8-8

JMO
Old 08-11-2007   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

the bears did go to the superbowl.
Old 08-11-2007   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest Positive - Offensive line play. The starters protected well and did a decent job on running plays. Of course having a competent QB back there goes a long way in making this happen. Considering this was against the best defense in the NFL last season I am impressed.

Biggest Negative - Defensive line play. Considering how many high draft picks we have spent (wasted), it's beyond ridiculous that our D line can't pressure anyone or make a decent stop. I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't even seen a flash out of Mario.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #9
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I can't see the game

who suprised you?
how was the OL blocking?

from what i read, D-line didn't get much pressure

how was the secondary looking?
MW surprised me from his lack of explosiveness, again.

OL was the same but in the 1st quarter we seemed to have had a QB who can actually feel the pressure. I can't believe how Schaub reacted in that situation vs. some other QB who would've been sacked.

Secondary on the first string is same ol' same ol'. Robinson hits so hard, I would love to have him at SS.

Overall, it's the first preseason game and I put no stock in any preseason games in any sport. I'm still worried about MW and hope that he develops soon.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #10
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

While he didn't get a lot done, Schuab look pretty good tonight. He dropped back quickly, made his read and thew the ball on time. Granted he misfired on a couple of plays but all in all, he had good pocket presence and looked like an efficient QB. Its too early to tell if he will be any good or if he was worth two second round picks, but all in all not a bad start.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Biggest Positive - Offensive line play. The starters protected well and did a decent job on running plays. Of course having a competent QB back there goes a long way in making this happen. Considering this was against the best defense in the NFL last season I am impressed.

Biggest Negative - Defensive line play. Considering how many high draft picks we have spent (wasted), it's beyond ridiculous that our D line can't pressure anyone or make a decent stop. I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't even seen a flash out of Mario.
I don't know if its just me but doesnt Mario kinda of remind you of a 3-4 OLB in the mold of a Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware? I wonder if this scheme is the right fit for him or not, what a horrible thought

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #12
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye got pushed around.
Kalu got in the backfield a few times and was always around the ball.
Sage looked good.
Mathis and Jacoby really make me excited about our special teams.
I was impressed how Schaub was under pressure.
Walter had a gimme pass stripped from him on 3rd down.
Hutchins>C.C.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub appears to have a better arm and a better head under preasure than Carr.

But, I did notice how much slower Schaub was than Carr (or Sage). I figure we won't see as many bootlegs this year.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #14
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The Defense looked very passive to me. We need more blitzing.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #15
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

schaub looked ok made a couple of good passes but no mention of the missed reciever wide open for the td. he seemed to look pretty good under pressure. that can be decieving only because most qb get happy feet uasually dont start with them, its up to the OL whether he gets those. whoever said he has a better arm than carr dont let your despise for carr make you lie, you know he doesnt. but this offense doesnt require it so its not that big a deal. schaub should look better than carr the first half of the season, its the second half when a lot of tape will be available for teams to study and if he stays upright he should be fine the second half if he is on his back a lot then we shall see how he handles it.

with mathis and jones pushing each other our special teams should be exactly that , special.

our defense looked ok offenses still going right at robinson even though he is our second best LB, its not good to have a LB at the corner he needs to improve his cover skills. okoye and williams might open up a lot of oppurtunities for other to get pressure our DL looks to be improved.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #16
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Schaub appears to have a better arm and a better head under preasure than Carr.

But, I did notice how much slower Schaub was than Carr (or Sage). I figure we won't see as many bootlegs this year.
I dunno. He looked pretty solid on that waggle play. Now. Will he be asked to play RB from the QB position? Definitely not. But he has enough. IMO
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #17
HotRodsHair
The Newbie

The special teams play was very impressive. 4/4 on FG's. Good kickoffs. Strong coverage on punts and kickoffs. Very good punting. (By both punters, what a battle!) And can you believe the return yardage? If the ST's play like that this team will be very solid this year.

Orr and Babin were the most disruptive DL. (did I just say that out loud?)

Shaub and Rosenfels both looked pretty poised and in command of the offense. Van Pelt completely changed the tone of play with his inability to even get the ball cleanly to a WR cutting across the field ten yards out. I wish we could have seen Zambriski.(sp?)

LB's are solid, safeties were hitting. Still weak at the other corner.

Jacoby Jones really played well. Hopefully he continues to build on that performance.

The tight ends played very well.

I'm concerned about a lack of speed at the RB position. Is it just me or did our tailbacks lose a step?
HotRodsHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I watched the game when I got home from work at 3 a.m. so I really didnt get a chance to rewind on the DVR and look more closely but initial impressions:

1) Okoye plays WAY too high. He might as well not even go into his 3-point stance and just stand up before a play.
2) If Walter wants to be the number 2 WR, he needs to hold on to balls on 3rd down when he has 2 hands on them.
3) Just like Hook'em, the D-line was disappointing
4) Loving Schaub so far. Although that pass of his back-foot is dangerous, it shows that he isn't afraid to take risks and get hurt. Also shows that Schaub does have some nice arm strength. Schaub also stood in the pocket when it collapsed around him instead of taking a dash towards the sideline and crawling up on the turf.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
The Defense looked very passive to me. We need more blitzing.

with 4 number one's on our d-line we should get some pressure on the qb without blitzing.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
The special teams play was very impressive. 4/4 on FG's. Good kickoffs. Strong coverage on punts and kickoffs. Very good punting. (By both punters, what a battle!) And can you believe the return yardage? If the ST's play like that this team will be very solid this year.

Orr and Babin were the most disruptive DL. (did I just say that out loud?)

Shaub and Rosenfels both looked pretty poised and in command of the offense. Van Pelt completely changed the tone of play with his inability to even get the ball cleanly to a WR cutting across the field ten yards out. I wish we could have seen Zambriski.(sp?)

LB's are solid, safeties were hitting. Still weak at the other corner.

Jacoby Jones really played well. Hopefully he continues to build on that performance.

The tight ends played very well.

I'm concerned about a lack of speed at the RB position. Is it just me or did our tailbacks lose a step?
What bothered me about our RBs is few of them seemed to follow their lead FBs. Leach led Green outside only to have Green cut inside - twice. Same with Gado and Lundy. Dayne tried to but was, as always, a step slow. Seems to me those guys "left some yds on the field".

Breakdown of the game film should correct that issue though.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read