Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2007   #1
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Saturday Night

I don't know about you guys, but I am looking forward to watching some Texans football on Saturday night. The game is on TV in Austin and my wife is hosting a baby shower, so an evening of uninterrupted football is shaping up nicely. I'm not going to look too much into a pre-season game, but I am going to be looking at the following:

(1) Saturday night alone won't provide any final proof, but the question of whether it was the QB or the OL will start to be answered. I am interested to see how the unit responds to the new QB.
(2) We didn't see a lot of Kevin Walter last year, so it will be interesting to see if he can make an impact.
(3) Gado/ Lundy or Lundy/ Gado - I hope one of these guys can distinguish himself.
(4) Abbate at FB.
(5) DL - Can we get to the QB?
(6) DT - I think Maddox is set at one starting spot. I am excited to see Amobi and hope he does well, but I will be just as happy to see TJ live up to the first round billing.
(7) Which punter is going to win this job?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Saturday Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
but the question of whether it was the QB or the OL will start to be answered.
Can we get a "both" option here, or must it be either/or?
Old 08-09-2007   #3
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, they're airing a Texans game in Austin?

rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #4
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Can we get a "both" option here, or must it be either/or?
Didn't the Tennessee game last year (away) answer that question?
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #5
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

...about the punters--kubiak mentioned tonight on FSN that Stanley has lasted 5 yrs in the NFL because of his consistency--punts are always about the same distance and hang time. However, what he didn't mention is that Stanley almost never 'booms' a punt to get the team out of trouble, and-last year when he tried to 'over' kick-he shanked some and short kicked some.

Capers picked him originally because he was good at putting the ball inside the 20, but he's steadily lost a lot of that ability. JMO, his weakest criteria is that he rarely 'pins' the other team back to turn field position in our favor...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #6
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking forward to the game too........football is finally coming.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #7
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I am looking forward to watching some Texans football on Saturday night. The game is on TV in Austin and my wife is hosting a baby shower, so an evening of uninterrupted football is shaping up nicely. I'm not going to look too much into a pre-season game, but I am going to be looking at the following:

(1) Saturday night alone won't provide any final proof, but the question of whether it was the QB or the OL will start to be answered. I am interested to see how the unit responds to the new QB.
(2) We didn't see a lot of Kevin Walter last year, so it will be interesting to see if he can make an impact.
(3) Gado/ Lundy or Lundy/ Gado - I hope one of these guys can distinguish himself.
(4) Abbate at FB.
(5) DL - Can we get to the QB?
(6) DT - I think Maddox is set at one starting spot. I am excited to see Amobi and hope he does well, but I will be just as happy to see TJ live up to the first round billing.
(7) Which punter is going to win this job?
Spike, good to see another Austinite Texans fan.
Once the regular season begins, we will all be getting together to watch games at Third Base, who are excited to host us.

Later,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2007   #8
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Let me throw in another player I am looking forward to seeing - Jacoby Jones. Every snap for this guy (pre-season or not) at this point in his career is an important one.

Rick- Thanks for letting me know. I don't live far away and would love to join.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #9
Vega
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Vega is on the Pro-Bowl ballotVega is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I find it hard to get too excited about the punter battle. Don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of the position and the real value that a good punter can bring to the team. It's just that I don't get up and think, "yeah, I can't wait to see how badass our punter is!" Maybe it's just me.

More importantly for me though, this Saturday marks the moment when I ease my girlfriend into accepting the fact that football is here again. Last night we had the annual "you mean there's football on Thursday too!" discussion.

I'll watch it on Sunday morning though. They're not televising it here in FL except on the NFL Network at midnight. Thank God for DVR!
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Remember last year's preseason? Remember the opening drive vs. the Eagles last year? One preseason game in which Schaub will likely play 1-2 series is not going to prove, or really even hint at, the answer to that question. And the answer, as Runner pointed out, is not an either/or answer.

That said, the withdrawals will finally end! Go Texans!!!

Edited to correct my erroneous identification of Runner. Sorry!

Last edited by eriadoc; 08-12-2007 at 01:20 PM.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #11
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't expect much from Amobi at all this year. From the future though I have HIGH hopes for him...like Warren Sapp hopes for him.

I just hope to see flashes of excellence through the year. Like how we saw Mario dominate at times...then disappear. This is what rookies usually do.

Nah though, on saturday I think he won't do much. He'll probably play a qtr or little over that, if that then he'll be lucky to make a big play happen...if he does though my optimisim is going to go through the roof.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
...about the punters--kubiak mentioned tonight on FSN that Stanley has lasted 5 yrs in the NFL because of his consistency--punts are always about the same distance and hang time. However, what he didn't mention is that Stanley almost never 'booms' a punt to get the team out of trouble, and-last year when he tried to 'over' kick-he shanked some and short kicked some.

Capers picked him originally because he was good at putting the ball inside the 20, but he's steadily lost a lot of that ability. JMO, his weakest criteria is that he rarely 'pins' the other team back to turn field position in our favor...
My understanding is Stanley did well within 20 until last season. He was recently quoted in Chronicle saying it was a "mechanics" issue that he can or has corrected. We will see soon.
Old 08-10-2007   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

on the first game,even though it is vanilla offense versus vanilla defense. I want to see the first string make stops on 3rd down, I want to see a glimmer of hope that on 3rd and short we can impose our will on a running play to pick up the first...

later one, I want to see how our FA pickups(aka nothing significant but quality depth) come in and at the very least hold their own against the bears 2nd and 3rd string

and I want to see discipline..no dumb false starts,no stupid penalties.. I can handle a(just one) holding IF the lineman gets beat so bad that the qb is fixing to get blasted from the weakside because of a lineman missed his assignment (I don't want to see them miss an assignment,but it happens).. NO holding on running plays!!!!

but I want to see promise from our OL that they can handle the Bears 1st string front 7 (not many teams do) even if it is vanilla
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
Accordingly to the chron. Schaub will get to play the 1ST.quarter. But who really knows. It's like a month ago this board was over-filled with, Schaub will bring the leadership that we need. Now Kubes is saying the offense needs someone to step-up and show some leadership. That Schaub hasn't been able to do it, and AJ is not vocal, where he leads by example. As for me, I'm looking forward to this defense to show me something. They are also saying that the offense has weapons that Carr didn't, but with our o- line we are going to need a powerful defense to be able win any games. Defense, Defense

Where did you read or hear that? I never heard anything like that, personally...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Accordingly to the chron. Schaub will get to play the 1ST.quarter. But who really knows. It's like a month ago this board was over-filled with, Schaub will bring the leadership that we need. Now Kubes is saying the offense needs someone to step-up and show some leadership. That Schaub hasn't been able to do it, and AJ is not vocal, where he leads by example. As for me, I'm looking forward to this defense to show me something. They are also saying that the offense has weapons that Carr didn't, but with our o- line we are going to need a powerful defense to be able win any games. Defense, Defense

This is an official call out. Cite a source or retract it. I have read every article on chron.com, this site, the official site, SI, BSN, etc. I have never read or heard Kubiak say any such thing. As a matter of fact, he has said just the opposite.

Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
This is an official call out. Cite a source or retract it. I have read every article on chron.com, this site, the official site, SI, BSN, etc. I have never read or heard Kubiak say any such thing. As a matter of fact, he has said just the opposite.
How is this for you? He's still looking for that leader. We can chop words and say Schaub is a great leader but not vocal, but I don't buy that. I was surprised when I read it - I thought I was in Orwell's 1984 with the party line changing with no reference to change.

It is always safer to say "I have read almost every article yada yada yada". Especially on an "official" call out.

Quote:
Offensive leader needed

Coach Gary Kubiak is still looking for a vocal leader to really take charge on the offensive side of the ball and complement Andre Johnson.

"We're in camp, and we're going to have some bad things happen," Kubiak said. "I see the groups go correct them and come back the next period and play better. I think we're growing up from that standpoint.

"I think on the offensive side of the ball we're still looking for that big leader to step up. Andre is a quiet guy. He leads by how he plays, but somebody's got to take control of the group when things are kind of in a lull."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5032357.html
Old 08-10-2007   #17
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

Where did you read or hear that? I never heard anything like that, personally...

...depends on what day it is...Kubiak has said both
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can find it in chron.com plus it was also on the offical Texans web site. Here's another tid-bit. I read that Schaub was brought up by three of Kubiak coaches, and that's why he started to look into him. Plummer had spoken to Schaub about what a good guy Kubiak was. Sure shows a different light on what has been said here. Of course if I took enough time I guess McClain could tell me that he knew more about it than Kubiak did.
How is this different from any other how Schaub got here story ?

I think Kubiak is messing with Schaub ... testing his grit if you will . I think he's passing .

Runner is big brother .
Old 08-10-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Among the faces of Kubiak we seldom see is the angry one. He keeps that one behind closed doors except on rare occasions. On Wednesday, he jumped Matt Schaub so badly that Kubiak's mom called to say she'd heard her son was using inappropriate language.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/5042826.html

for some this is doom, Kubiaks mom was at the training site
Old 08-10-2007   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

I think Kubiak's so called "call out" on leadership is more of a motivational thing at this point. (I hope) I think he is tryiing to get this team to believe in itself and take the next step to become a playoff team. Kubiak is still pushing us. from what we heard all offseason since getting matt is he is a leader.. I think Kubiak is trying to not let the team get complacent or content with what we have read in the paper.. I like it.. I'd rather Kubiak say that we are still needing a leader, because besides AJ, we really don't have anyone that has proven themselves on the field as a leader and this is our first game with Kubiak's type players(and still working on that) (last season say what you want, we had players but kubiak still needed to get HIS type of players for HIS system (some are his type of players, yet lots are Dom's type of players)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read