Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-09-2007   #1
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default 2004 WR draft class revisited

(I posted this on a couple of boards, so sorry if you've already seen it!)

It's interesting to look back at the '04 draft, which is notable not only because of the Eli Manning draft-and-trade but also the crop of WRs that came out of that first round (7 total). Some turned out to be what they were expected to be, others are on the verge of being out of the league.

They say it takes three full seasons for a WR to adjust to the NFL and really hit his prime. Snapshot time?

Pick # 3 - Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
Has 230 catches, 3135 yards, and 24 TDs in three seasons. Pretty remarkable considering he's been playing in the desert, where careers often go to die. First one taken, and probably with good reason.

Pick # 7 - Roy Williams, Lions
Has 181 catches, 2814 yards, and 23 TDs in three seasons. Another good pick. At least Detriot hit on one.

Pick # 9 - Reggie Williams, Jaguars
Has 114 catches, 1329 yards, and 5 TDs in three seasons. Inconsistent, but how much of that is due to the shaky QB situation? His numbers are just OK, especially for a first rounder.

Pick # 13 - Lee Evans, Buffalo
Has 178 catches, 2878 yards, and 24 TDs in three seasons. After Fitzy, is the best of this class, IMO. If he played for a better team in a bigger market, you'd definitely hear more about him. Great vertical guy... fast, and locates the ball well. Could be dangerous if Losman improves.

Pick # 15 - Michael Clayton, Bucaneers
Has 145 catches, 1921 yards, and 8 TDs in three seasons. His numbers are jacked up by a great rookie year (80 grabs, 1193 yards). Has just over 30 catches in the past two seasons. I don't recall if part of that is due to injury or not, but IMO it doesn't matter. Staying on the field is part of being a great player.

Pick # 29 - Michael Jenkins, Falcons
Has 82 catches, 1063 yards, and 10 TDs in three seasons. Those numbers would look good if it were a single year! The fact that it took him three to put up #1 WR-type numbers is probably not a good sign. Has also had Mike Vick throwing him the ball, so you've got to take that into account as well.

Pick # 31 - Rashaun Woods, 49ers
Has a whopping 7 catches, 160 yards, and 1 TD in three seasons. Lasted only two with the 49ers and toiled at the bottom of the Chargers' depth chart last season. I believe he's currently looking for work, but I get more hits googling my own name than his.

So, in hindsight (always easy), I would put them in this order:

1. Fitzgerald
2. Evans
3. Roy Williams
4a. Clayton
4b. Reggie Williams
6. Jenkins
7. Woods

Clayton and Reggie Williams are a tie for 4th, IMO.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-09-2007   #2
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2004 WR draft class revisited

I'd put Clayton ahead of Williams by quite a bit. Williams's numbers show me that he hasn't ever stood out. At least Clayton had that one year (if you've been there already, there's more chance you'll go back.)
Old 08-09-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know where to put Clayton, since he's been bumped to #2 on the Bucs depth chart... Seems they disagree with you Hadaad.
Old 08-09-2007   #4
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I'd put Clayton ahead of Williams by quite a bit. Williams's numbers show me that he hasn't ever stood out. At least Clayton had that one year (if you've been there already, there's more chance you'll go back.)
Just to clarify, you mean Reggie, not Roy, right?

I had a hard time with that. Clayton's drop-off after year one is hard to ignore. They both kind of suck, actually. It's a matter of figuring out who's suckier!
Old 08-09-2007   #5
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 18083 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put Clayton ahead of Reggie, just for slightly better stats in an offense that strikes me as generally less talented than the Jags.

Also.....because he isnt a Jag.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats View Post
Just to clarify, you mean Reggie, not Roy, right?

I had a hard time with that. Clayton's drop-off after year one is hard to ignore. They both kind of suck, actually. It's a matter of figuring out who's suckier!
Yeah, Clayton had a drop-off year, but Reggie who talks about himself it third person, (http://="http://sports.espn.go.com/e...l&id=2965250"] "I don't see it as competition," he said. "I look at it as trying to be the best Reggie can be.) and does a TD dance after every first down catch has never even had a jump-up year to drop-off of. Reggie Williams in three years and 48 games has NEVER even had a 100 yard receiving game. There are some crappy WRs in this league that bounce from team to team that can luck out on one sunday and put up 100 yards.....

He's been outperformed by another first round reach on his team that didn't even play the position in college. Matt Jones in one year less time only has 250 less yards and 4 more receiving TDs.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i cant remember what game but reggie williams looked pretty good last yr
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2007   #8
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Rashaun Woods signed with a CFL team this offseason.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read