Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who's rising?

Megan Manfull on WR Harry Williams (who?)in Weds Chronicle sport page; "The 6'2" 186 lbs is catching almost everything thrown at him. 2nd year out of Tuskegee played for NFL Europa this season". "He really stood out" said Kubiac. "He's stepped up & made some plays. We'll see how he does on S.T. He will get playing time (Saturday) He's got a big body that when in a jump-ball situation, he usually makes the play." Sounds good for red zone plays but AJ & Walters can already fill that need. Probably just a pat on the back for a guy that will not make team.
Old 08-08-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Who's rising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Probably just a pat on the back for a guy that will not make team.
I dunno...

When I went to last Saturday's practice my friend kept asking me about some reciever from Tuskeegee...Said he saw him do some nice things...I didn't notice the guy and had no clue who he was talking about...

It just now came together....
Old 08-08-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Megan Manfull on WR Harry Williams (who?)in Weds Chronicle sport page; "The 6'2" 186 lbs is catching almost everything thrown at him. 2nd year out of Tuskegee played for NFL Europa this season". "He really stood out" said Kubiac. "He's stepped up & made some plays. We'll see how he does on S.T. He will get playing time (Saturday) He's got a big body that when in a jump-ball situation, he usually makes the play." Sounds good for red zone plays but AJ & Walters can already fill that need. Probably just a pat on the back for a guy that will not make team.
Can't even spell the coach's name right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Can't even spell the coach's name right.
Hey, I'm typing as fast as my two fingers can go. You pay me for my insight and other info not my typing skills. By the way, should you not have began your sentence with You can't...? Needless to say you better not ever make a typo or spelling or punctuation or... error, ever. whahahaahah.
Old 08-08-2007   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Williams got any practice squad eligibilty left??

He was a guy that I have heard positive noises about through camp but when you look at the depth we have he could the last cut that is made at WR.

Can we hold onto him via practice squad??
Old 08-08-2007   #6
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You pay me for my insight and other info not my typing skills.
Pade??? ewe get pade???

Just cuz I wanted to use this funky bot
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I dunno...

When I went to last Saturday's practice my friend kept asking me about some reciever from Tuskeegee...Said he saw him do some nice things...I didn't notice the guy and had no clue who he was talking about...

It just now came together....
Yeah well, wasn't too long ago that the cowpokes didn't think Jimmy Smith was worth a rooster spot. Lance Z has got it all figured out. And I find that particularly good pronostacating, being that is my belief that even the HC doesn't know ...for sure ...at this point who will or will not make the team. I think three thourgh five are still up for grabs. Anyone tells you they know, they're full of rose fertilzer. Now if Lance wants to give me a clue as to where my crazy daddy buried all of that money, I'm all ears.
Old 08-09-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Has Williams got any practice squad eligibilty left??

He was a guy that I have heard positive noises about through camp but when you look at the depth we have he could the last cut that is made at WR.

Can we hold onto him via practice squad??
I don't know. The bigger question on Rick Smith's plate is who do you keep. The potential guys or the producing guys ? I see no irony that the two biggest guys who have the under acheivement banner all over thier respective Texan's carreers finally decided it was time to suddenly turn on the jets. So who do you keep there Kiwi: the guy who's teased you with potential the last two season's or the guy who is catching everything that's been thrown his way in camp ? Or the thritysomething year old who's only going to cotribute for a year or two ? Contenders would do one thing. Loosers do the other.WR cuts are going to tell you alot about where this club is heading.
Old 08-09-2007   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Pade??? ewe get pade???

Just cuz I wanted to use this funky bot
Oops! BM(Bob McNair for those of you with your mind in the gutter) told me not to broadcast that I was being paid. Sorry BM. Anyway, the wide receiver positions bring lots of questions this season but also offer some interesting answers. Potential vs experience as someone mentioned above. This will be a hard one. Someone like Bethel Johnson or Andre Davis or McCardell could have a very good season. Do you bet on that & then what do you do next season? It is hard to cut a veteran coming off a solid year for a younger player with potential. Do you just lock in on AJ & Walters as your starters for the next 3-4 years and hope the young guys like Jacoby, Mathis, etc make you glad you selected them. It makes it easier if the young guns have a great pre-season. Yet that is not the real McCoy. I am looking forward to this season more than any other except the first one.
Old 08-09-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If it was my team I would be keeping AJ, Walters, Mathis, McCardell, Davis.

That is assuming we keep 5 WR's on the roster.
Old 08-09-2007   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If it was my team I would be keeping AJ, Walters, Mathis, McCardell, Davis.

That is assuming we keep 5 WR's on the roster.
So, you're gonna cut our 3rd round pick?
Old 08-10-2007   #12
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i would cut kevin walter....my 5 would be

Andre, McCardell, Jacoby Jones, Mathis, and Bethel Johnson. I have never really bought into Walter as a great player. I don't like that he's been handed a job.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i would cut kevin walter....my 5 would be

Andre, McCardell, Jacoby Jones, Mathis, and Bethel Johnson. I have never really bought into Walter as a great player. I don't like that he's been handed a job.
But you buy into Bethel Johnson being a better player?
Old 08-10-2007   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
But you buy into Bethel Johnson being a better player?
I liked Bethel in New England. He can play KR2 if Mathis goes down, has pretty good hands, and has playoff and superbowl experience.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i would cut kevin walter...
Walter plays on a lot of special team units. All Jones, Mathis, and Bethel do on special teams is return. How many returners do you need? Not to mention that Walter has better size, is a better blocker, and normally has better hands. No, Walter should stay.
Old 08-10-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Walter plays on a lot of special team units. All Jones, Mathis, and Bethel do on special teams is return. How many returners do you need? Not to mention that Walter has better size, is a better blocker, and normally has better hands. No, Walter should stay.
I agree. didnt Kubiak say he made a mistake last season by not giving Walter more opportunities ie. more playing time. Walters sticks.

I would showcase Mathis in the preseason & try to get my 3rd pick back in return. Bethel is insurance, doesnt cost much & can't get nothing for him. Jacoby on the otherhand should be the rising star, he just needs time & reps to develop

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #17
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I don't think Bethel Johnson will make the team provided that Mathis keeps improving as a WR and stays injury free. Walter should definately stay for all the reason Lucky mentioned above, and I think he'll be a good target for Schaub on 3rd down situations.

My five would be AJ, Walter, Jacoby Jones, Mathis, & McCardell. If for some reason we carry 6 WRs then I think Anderson sneaks in there.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #18
real

I think McCardell should be cut.

AJ, Jacoby, Walter, Mathis, Anderson, Johnson

This would be my six. If they decide to carry 5 I'd drop Anderson.
Old 08-10-2007   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I don't think Bethel Johnson will make the team provided that Mathis keeps improving as a WR and stays injury free. Walter should definately stay for all the reason Lucky mentioned above, and I think he'll be a good target for Schaub on 3rd down situations.

My five would be AJ, Walter, Jacoby Jones, Mathis, & McCardell. If for some reason we carry 6 WRs then I think Anderson sneaks in there.
Walter is the target on 3rd down? Not so sure. How about Daniels or even Breuner? How about Green catching and running for a first? How about AJ's ability to fight for the ball? I really like Walter's size and ability to catch. This is why it is going to be an interesting season.
Old 08-10-2007   #20
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

My six would be A. Johnson, K. Walter, J. Jones, J. Mathis, A. Davis, B. Johnson.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read