Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-05-2007   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default The NFL season has begun / Hall of Fame

Thanks Comcast for bringing the cable people NFLN in Houston. The induction ceremonies were just off the chart for any Texas football fan. You had Skeletor err Jerry Jones spewing Cowboy propoganda introducing Michael Irvin and then Irvin proceeding to give probably the greatest unprepared speech I have ever heard a guy give. Then you had Munchak introducing Houston Oiler great Bruce Matthews. His speech was just great and him lobbying for his brother to get in the HOF was just awesome. Matthews pointing out that USC had the most HOF members was a nice touch too. He also thanked Houston fans for all their love and didn't try and sugarcoat his disappointment for leaving Houston. He gave the Titans fans love, but I could tell he was trying to give Houston its due. The 3rd guy he mentioned in his speech was John McClain and he thanked him for helping him get in the HOF (as if he needed any help). I thought that was quite telling that Matthews touted JM as one of the most knowledgeable NFL writers in the world.

I love Irvin and Matthews. Irvin has had his share of problems but the guy is a great guy. Flawed but honest and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Matthews was always the gentle giant and class exuded from him on that podium.

Did anyone else check this out? I am wondering what some of yall thought about the HOF and the Hall Of Fame Game (in progress).

it is just great that i have real NFL football on my screen, it may still be preseason but the wait is over. NFL 07 HAS ARRIVED.
Old 08-05-2007   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The NFL season has begun / Hall of Fame

I'm not thanking Comcast for jack s**t. I had Dish network and NFLN was part of the basic package. Now I have Comcast and it's part of an extra-cost sports package that I don't want (apart from NFLN) and will not pay for. I'm not seeing at least a portion of the HOF game for the first time in my adult life thanks to greedy bastards at Comcast.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow giving them an ear full and talking to DirecTV or Dish Network if Comcast doesn't reconsider their position on this.
Old 08-05-2007   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 24388 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched My Road To Canton--Michael Irvin, the Hall of Fame Ceremony, and now the HOF game. Michael Irvin's speech stirred me the most and brought me to tears even now --look up, get up, and never give up, next was Charlie Sanders--hi mom, Bruce Matthews--all that he said along with recognition to Mojo, Gene Hackerman's son, which must have been quite difficult to do in light of Gene's present condition, Thurman Thomas--the proposal, and Roger Wehrle--grandchildren embracing the moment.

At this time, the Saints are playing more like the Aints. Hopefully they will make it more interesting. But, welcome to the beginning of the football season.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

You can watch the HOF game online for free as well as many other regular season games at http://myp2p.eu/index.htm.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Marshall Faulk god love him needs to get over his RB25 love. Saying he looked 'really good' after those 2 carries for 8 yards was a bit of a stretch.

Collinsworth was one of the first mainstream analysts in my recollection to question Bush's inside running ability during a broadcast. Faulk even alluded to it when he praised Bush's rushing performance saying that it looks like RB is working on his inside game.

The Saints secondary looked pretty horrid in the first half.

These games don't mean much but I'm sure Payton isn't thrilled about the showing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts so far on the first bit of real NFL action (well, as close as we can get)

1, Pitts coach has changed, but their style hasn't. Good steady offense and a smash em up defense

2, Saints looked way off tonight. Brees going 1-6 is not a good sign
Old 08-05-2007   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
My thoughts so far on the first bit of real NFL action (well, as close as we can get)

1, Pitts coach has changed, but their style hasn't. Good steady offense and a smash em up defense

2, Saints looked way off tonight. Brees going 1-6 is not a good sign
I thought our secondary was suspect. New Orleans's DBs are worse than ours.

Also, with no Deuce on the field the Saints didn't have a real RB to make the Steelers respect their running game. They had to make do with Bush. He's not yet an NFL caliber RB. Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.

Oh yeah, when they asked Thurman Thomas what he thought about Bush (whoever the interviewer was said that Thurman was "the first Reggie Bush-type back"), the first statement he made was, "Well, I'd like to see him carry the ball 25-30 carries a game like I did. Then I think Thurman realized he was dissin' a modern-day NFL darling, he kinda backed off and said all the standard things, "he's got great potential, he's got loads of talent, yada-yada-yada...

okay, that's my anti-Bush rant for tonight

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-05-2007 at 10:04 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I thought our secondary was suspect. New Orleans's DBs are worse than ours.

Also, with no Deuce on the field the Saints didn't have a real RB to make the Steelers respect their running game. They had to make do with Bush. He's not yet an NFL caliber RB. Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.
Bush, 155 attempts, 0 runs over 20 yards.
Lundy, 124 attempts, 4 runs over 20 yards.

I'm just saying.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Mecham is finally in the game.

I thought he was hurt or something. I guess not...

Oh wait, now he is. Number 22 on the Steelers, just said, "Welcome to the NFL brother Mecham" He's still down as they break to commercial.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I'm just saying.
Kudos to our OLine for that stat.

Hang on, that can't be right!?!?!?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Kudos to our OLine for that stat.

Hang on, that can't be right!?!?!?
NFL.com. Check the stats. Lundy had 4 20+ yard rushes, Gado had 3. (Dayne had 0 and Taylor had 0.)

McAllister had 6. Bush had 0.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #12
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Signed, DirecTV customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm just saying.

A list of stats and a photo, both making the same statement....

OWNED
Old 08-06-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL.com. Check the stats. Lundy had 4 20+ yard rushes, Gado had 3. (Dayne had 0 and Taylor had 0.)

McAllister had 6. Bush had 0.
Also factor in Lundy and Gado (7) in the AFC and McAllister /Bush (6) Nancy Football Conference...

I'm just sayin'.....
Old 08-06-2007   #15
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Rofl.

jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #16
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Thanks Comcast for bringing the cable people NFLN in Houston. The induction ceremonies were just off the chart for any Texas football fan. You had Skeletor err Jerry Jones spewing Cowboy propoganda introducing Michael Irvin and then Irvin proceeding to give probably the greatest unprepared speech I have ever heard a guy give. Then you had Munchak introducing Houston Oiler great Bruce Matthews. His speech was just great and him lobbying for his brother to get in the HOF was just awesome. Matthews pointing out that USC had the most HOF members was a nice touch too. He also thanked Houston fans for all their love and didn't try and sugarcoat his disappointment for leaving Houston. He gave the Titans fans love, but I could tell he was trying to give Houston its due. The 3rd guy he mentioned in his speech was John McClain and he thanked him for helping him get in the HOF (as if he needed any help). I thought that was quite telling that Matthews touted JM as one of the most knowledgeable NFL writers in the world.

I love Irvin and Matthews. Irvin has had his share of problems but the guy is a great guy. Flawed but honest and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Matthews was always the gentle giant and class exuded from him on that podium.

Did anyone else check this out? I am wondering what some of yall thought about the HOF and the Hall Of Fame Game (in progress).

it is just great that i have real NFL football on my screen, it may still be preseason but the wait is over. NFL 07 HAS ARRIVED.
Before the ceremony began I was wondering to myself which University had produced the most HOF players. I just that that was kinda cool.
I have a question about Comcast though, if you just have the basic package, can you just add NFLN or is it a big package deal? I guess I could give them a call, but this seems easier.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Collinsworth put up an interesting stat. Given all the hype about how Reggie Bush was this guaranteed HoF breakaway threat, Bush had ZERO runs over 20 yds last year.
And Collingsworth also bluntly said that Bush was a WR who had some rushing plays his rookie year. And those rushs averaged 3.6 yards.
He is just telling it like it is.
Another thing, the few plays Bush was in last night as the lone back instead of his normal position of being in the slot, the QB is left doing his best "dead man walking" impersonation because Bush wanted no part of picking up the blitz from what I could see - all he did was duck. Not a good thing against a blitzing D like the Steelers throw at you.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Rofl.

That's what it sounds like isn't it.

Except for the fact that the numbers don't lie you have a point. I maintain that Reggie Bush (who I wanted the Texans to select badly at the time) and his talents would be wasted here in Houston. The Texans approach to running the football is such that the one thing that makes Bush truly special is the same thing he'd be discouraged from doing here. Sherman and Kubiak want their backs to make a cut (preferably just one) and go up the field. This kind of running game is not without merit. It works for some backs (Ron Dayne did quite well in it as will Ahman Green I expect) but others would take a hit in their productivity doing this. Bush would be one of them I think.
Old 08-06-2007   #19
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I go up to my local bar to watch the game, and unfortunatley its right before the Lincoln Park concert so it is slammed. Everyone wants to hear the jukebox instead of the game, so I decided to leave and watch it at my house.

Already 30 minuites late for the game, I arrived home to a blank tv screen. I called Comcast and they apologized but recognized a problem in my area. No internet. No cable.

11:30 the cable came back on. Thanks Comcast.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see Comcast is off to a blazing start in Houston.

DirecTv!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read