Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2007   #1
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerome Mathis and Lasik

I haven't seen this anywhere so I'll go ahead and start a new thread...

Had anyone else heard about Jerome Mathis getting Lasik eye surgery? I just took my bride to the Woodlands Custom Vision Center yesterday to have her eyes done. The have several pro-athletes on their wall who have gotten Lasik.

One of them that caught my eye was good ol' #13. I asked the Doc when Jerome had gotten the procedure done and he said it had been about four months ago.

I couldn't help but think that maybe the better vision might be helping him see the ball better at the wideout spot.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Mathis and Lasik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I haven't seen this anywhere so I'll go ahead and start a new thread...

Had anyone else heard about Jerome Mathis getting Lasik eye surgery? I just took my bride to the Woodlands Custom Vision Center yesterday to have her eyes done. The have several pro-athletes on their wall who have gotten Lasik.

One of them that caught my eye was good ol' #13. I asked the Doc when Jerome had gotten the procedure done and he said it had been about four months ago.

I couldn't help but think that maybe the better vision might be helping him see the ball better at the wideout spot.

That's interesting maybe it is helping him. He needs to stay healthy though.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome. Anything to help see that ball.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Does lasik help more than contacts would?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
no!!!
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #6
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
no!!!
and yes.

It should correct his vision in the same manner as contacts, and get this markbeth, but without the problems associated with contacts such as irritation, possibility of scratching the cornea, being jostled out of their correct position, or knocked completely out.

I can understand why a professional football player would want to have lasik done over having to wear contacts.
Old 08-04-2007   #7
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope lasik can now bring 20/20 vision and help heal hamstrings.
Old 08-04-2007   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I had LASIK done about 4.5 years ago, and I can say without a doubt, it is light years beyond wearing contacts while playing sports. When you move your eyes quickly, you can sometimes get the contacts off-center a bit, albeit briefly, and sometimes they get knocked out of position, rolled back under your eyelid (sucks), or even come out (was rare for me with soft contacts). To make things worse, in my case, I had the lenses they give people with astigmatism, where the weight is at the bottom. If the weight is not at the bottom of the eye, things are a bit off kilter - and the lenses take a minute to settle down.

LASIK should help Mathis a great deal at catching the ball, and from the reports I've heard/seen so far, it has. I just didn't realize he'd had LASIK. Very nice, and it shows he is taking his responsibilities at the WR position seriously.
Old 08-04-2007   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to wear contacts for hockey and it blows. Just like other people have said, they can get knocked out, can irritate the eyes, all that. I have had 2 contacts split while in my eye because of a hard hit. And that is really annoying.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know anything about this Lasik jazz, but what I find to be encouraging is this article in Saturday's sports section of the Chronicle.

As Texans Chick and anyone else who has been on this MB for a good while can testify, I have been one of Jerome Mathis' harshest critics. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I would have bet money that Mathis would end up being cut. I have accused him of, at best, not having his head straight preparation-wise, to at worst, flat out dogging it. The article confirms my suspicions to a certain degree favoring the preparation angle, or the lack of.

Quote:
"I didn't see him as a guy who was injury prone," special teams coach Joe Marciano said. "I saw a guy who wasn't paying the price. But this summer he did. When everybody else was on vacation, he was in here working."

"I told Jerome, 'OK, the team had its program," Kubiak said. "Now, let's talk about your program for the next five weeks. You're going to commit to this. You're going to have to do it, and that's that. I had Ray set up a tough schedule, and Jerome held to it to a 'T.' It shows. He's just a better-conditioned athlete right now.

"Jerome's program had always been the weight room and the training room. We got his butt out of the training room and got him with everybody else for five weeks. We're seeing the payoff. Our whole agenda is to prove to him that if he gets in better condition, he'll hold up better."

Mathis concedes he needed to show more effort.
I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I am to read and hear this. If he can hold up and continue to show durability throughout the rest of camp, (knocking real hard on wood) and show progress as a receiver to go along with being a 'dependable' game in and game out kick returner . . .

. . . then we have got a bonifide threat opposite Andre Johnson.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Marcus; 08-04-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #11
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got back from training camp with a side trip to Suitmart. Mathis was looking good on the field. He was catching the ball and running hard. To me, he looked like the 2nd best WR on the field. JMO of course.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Jerome Mathis and Lasik

2nd best ain't good er-nough! He has to beat AJ, or he's gone!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just for ****s and giggles, I called Mathis as our #2 before last season. While I don't believe that will actually happen, I think he is better than Walters by a bit in terms of talent. Now this Jones fellow intrigues me.
Old 08-04-2007   #14
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Just for ****s and giggles, I called Mathis as our #2 before last season. While I don't believe that will actually happen, I think he is better than Walters by a bit in terms of talent. Now this Jones fellow intrigues me.
Jacoby is fast but he is still droping to many balls in camp. I am rooting for him though. Hopefully the light will go on in his head. He still has time before the games begin.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #15
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was there this morning as well, and I can attest to the facct that Mathis had an outstanding practice. He made all of his routine catches and a couple of tough ones too.

Last edited by RTP2110; 08-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #16
real

I was at this mornings practice as well, and I'll go ahead and say Mathis makes this team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read