Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Mike Sherman interview

I finally got to hear Mike Sherman speak at length and he had several very interesting things to say to include but not limited to:
(1) When at GB and contemplating a Farve retirement and looking for a replacement, he worked-out one VA QB named Matt Schaub and was very impressed back then. Both with his character and football abilities. So its good to know that our OC got a look-see at Schaub and was favorable impressed before the Texans ever had a twinkling in their ey as they say.
(2) He was high on Charles Spencer. Came right out and said that the OLine was better with him. Said Spence was hanging tough against Freeney right before the injury.
(3) IMO he was noncommital about who wins out as the #2 Wr postiton.
There was a bunch of other stuff, but I'm sure more people than me heard it ?
But thanks to SR 610 for putting him on, I'd just never heard Sherman talk before.
I thought he was real sharp and I wish it would have gone much longer because this guy knows his football.
Oh, BTW Sherman said we are running a combo of OLine blocking schemes,
so thats from the source that counts the most.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Mike Sherman interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I finally got to hear Mike Sherman speak at length and he had several very interesting things to say to include but not limited to:
(1) When at GB and contemplating a Farve retirement and looking for a replacement, he worked-out one VA QB named Matt Schaub and was very impressed back then. Both with his character and football abilities. So its good to know that our OC got a look-see at Schaub and was favorable impressed before the Texans ever had a twinkling in their ey as they say.
(2) He was high on Charles Spencer. Came right out and said that the OLine was better with him. Said Spence was hanging tough against Freeney right before the injury.
(3) IMO he was noncommital about who wins out as the #2 Wr postiton.
There was a bunch of other stuff, but I'm sure more people than me heard it ?
But thanks to SR 610 for putting him on, I'd just never heard Sherman talk before.
I thought he was real sharp and I wish it would have gone much longer because this guy knows his football.
Oh, BTW Sherman said we are running a combo of OLine blocking schemes,
so thats from the source that counts the most.
Mods: Can we make his last sentence a permanent sticky?

This way we can settle the age-old argument of what blocking scheme we use--Half the posters are sure it's GB power blocking, and the other half are sure it's Denver's zone blocking.

Well, it's both.

Case solved.
Old 08-03-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 249951 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
Mods: Can we make his last sentence a permanent sticky?

This way we can settle the age-old argument of what blocking scheme we use--Half the posters are sure it's GB power blocking, and the other half are sure it's Denver's zone blocking.

Well, it's both.

Case solved.
I think there were quite a few of us who thought it was a hybrid system. And that's what had us worried because the two systems seem to require different kinds of linemen.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #4
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

It would make sense if we could combine the two styles. It could keep defenses off ballence.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted these two months ago and have probably made a dozen posts like it - some earlier and some more recent. They were running a combo last year (pull out some of the late season games and watch them). The diff this year is more power-counter.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12

http://boards.houstontexans.com/show...7&postcount=21

It's not just me. Other posters have made similar observations.

Last edited by aj.; 08-03-2007 at 08:29 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read