Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-03-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rookie contracts need to be stopped

This is getting absolutely out of control. Rookie contracts are crazy.

I just saw that Levi Brown's deal with the Cards has the potential to make him the highest paid OT in the NFL

Similarly, CJ just signed his deal with the Lions, making him the highest paid player in Detroit history.

Guess what? Neither of these guys have played a single snap in the NFL!

THis is getting out of hand, and someone needs to step in and fix this issue
Old 08-03-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie contracts need to be stopped

The system has a built in fix... The salary cap.

If these teams keep committing to ridiculous contracts and the players "bust" the team will pay for it in their cap... Of course, if the guy actually lives up to the hype, then the contract was worth it.

But your right, teams need to be fiscally responisble.
Old 08-03-2007   #3
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

You would think between the owners and the veterans they would put a scale together, would help owners keep cost down, and make sure that all-stars aren't being paid less than someone who hasn't even played a down yet.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, these rookies are drafted and can negotiate with only one team. If you believe Calvin Johnson's contract is ridiculous, think of what it would be if he were allowed to enter the NFL as a free agent. Of course, the best way to avoid paying these monster rookie contracts is to win more games and not draft in the top 5.
Old 08-03-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've thought of this differently at different times. New players are signed on speculation and long term projections and are slotted so that the high picks with the most expectation getting the most money. With the salary cap as big as it is, I don't have a problem with the system because it forces you to make good decisions or it hurts you. I kinda like that...."fair" is for kindergarten, real life has consequences. If you aren't in love with the player for the salary slot you can always trade down.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've thought of this differently at different times. New players are signed on speculation and long term projections and are slotted so that the high picks with the most expectation getting the most money. With the salary cap as big as it is, I don't have a problem with the system because it forces you to make good decisions or it hurts you. I kinda like that...."fair" is for kindergarten, real life has consequences. If you aren't in love with the player for the salary slot you can always trade down.
I agree...

If they set a value for these picks then a bust wouldn't have the impact that it does....

It makes teams choose wisely, and it also helps teams get steals...
Old 08-03-2007   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't hate on the young guys getting their money.

I know if it were me, i'm trying to take the owner for everything, it's the nature of the business. In addition to what Vinny & Xtru. said, it just boils down to how much you like the guy & how bad do you wanna win. If you think there is someone who is somewhat comparable that you might be able to get later in the draft for less money, go for it.

just don't expect your fans to understand that, cause all they wanna do is win.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2007   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

There saying that there is about 0 chance of Levi getting all the money in his contract, as a good chunk of it is in performace clauses that are reported as being fairly far fetched.

Makes it sound kinda like Ricky's first contract (althought probably not that bad).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can think of no validation for a player who hasn't even played 1 down being paid higher than the top player in the NFL at that position.
Old 08-03-2007   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Levi's contract is about $61 million but only $18 million is guaranteed.

So, the $43 million or so that is not guaranteed, he has to make the team.

It would be nice to have a guy that underperforms to salary but would be an asset to the team at a lower price. However, player's rarely renegotiate their contract, so a guy that would normally make the team but is paid too much is cut.

I don't see a problem with the rookie contracts.

There is a reasonable chance on any play their career could end or be crippled for life.

Let them negotiate as they see fit with the team that selected them.

What works for the NBA doesn't necessarily work the NFL and vice versa.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I can think of no validation for a player who hasn't even played 1 down being paid higher than the top player in the NFL at that position.
I don't see the relevance of that when discussing this topic...

In everday society when we graduate from college we aren't drafted to a specific work place....If I go to medical school and become a doctor I can choose where I want to work...I'm basically entering the workforce as a free agent...We have the ability to turn a job down an find another in our proffesion that is more to our liking...these guys can't do that...All they have the power to do is negotiate with the one team...

Doctor A may be a better doctor than Doctor B, but if Doctor B finds himself in the right situation he may in fact wind up making more money...

I don't see why these guys shouldn't have the power to negotiate their salaries just like the rest of the general population...
Old 08-03-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't see the relevance of that when discussing this topic...

In everday society when we graduate from college we aren't drafted to a specific work place....If I go to medical school and become a doctor I can choose where I want to work...I'm basically entering the workforce as a free agent...We have the ability to turn a job down an find another in our proffesion that is more to our liking...these guys can't do that...All they have the power to do is negotiate with the one team...

Doctor A may be a better doctor than Doctor B, but if Doctor B finds himself in the right situation he may in fact wind up making more money...

I don't see why these guys shouldn't have the power to negotiate their salaries just like the rest of the general population...

Ive never said they shouldn't be allowed to negotiate their salaries, I simply stated that I find it ridiculous that someone with 0, zero, zip NFL experience is already guaranteed more money than multiple time probowl players

Back your example, no company would ever pay someone with zero experience more than the highest paid person in their field.

And about football players risking their lives every day, thats a load of bologna. How many NFL players are "crippled" every year? Im sure there are jobs with MUCH higher injury percentages than the NFL. I bet many jobs have higher death risks than the NFL, too.

I understand NFL players are talented, but I still refuse to accept that someone who hasn't played a snap can get a contract worth more than 99% of their teammates

The system isn't working all that well, either, when people like JaMarcus Russel are STILL holding out for more money or better incentives.
Old 08-03-2007   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ive never said they shouldn't be allowed to negotiate their salaries, I simply stated that I find it ridiculous that someone with 0, zero, zip NFL experience is already guaranteed more money than multiple time probowl players
Then you should really have a problem with the NBA, where everything is pretty much guaranteed & guys like Allan Houston are still getting paid & haven't played in what 2-3 years? this isn't chump change either, this is millions, that can kill any offseason acquistions & submarine your team for years. I think jalen rose is still getting paid by 2 teams as well. You have this in the NFL, but most guys never see their complete contract worth, unlike the NBA.

I have no problem with the NFL b/c at least teams can still cut you & save millions as opposed to the nba where contracts have to be bought out or paid out. Just ask the rockets about those infamous matt maloney,kelvin cato contracts.

Last edited by Mr teX; 08-03-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Levi's contract is about $61 million but only $18 million is guaranteed.
Only 18 million? That sucks.
Old 08-03-2007   #15
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Only 18 million? That sucks.
Yes, but that's 18 million over 6 years, which contray to what some have been spouting off does NOT make him the highest paid player at his position.
Old 08-03-2007   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Yes, but that's 18 million over 6 years, which contray to what some have been spouting off does NOT make him the highest paid player at his position.
Maybe you don't get it? Guaranteed money is not the only thing in his salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
The contract, negotiated by agent Joel Segal, has a maximum value of $62 million. That is believed to be the most lucrative contract in NFL history for an offensive lineman
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2959237

Sure he may not get all of it, but even the thought of a rookie OL getting a contract CLOSE to being the highest paid in the NFL is backwards.
Old 08-03-2007   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Maybe you don't get it? Guaranteed money is not the only thing in his salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2959237

Sure he may not get all of it, but even the thought of a rookie OL getting a contract CLOSE to being the highest paid in the NFL is backwards.
ESPN Radio has reported several times, that like Ricky Willaims rookie contract, MOST of the escalators are tied to performance clauses that he is likely not to meet.

And when eveaulation rookie contracts the key is always the guaranteed money, as the team will likely re-negoiate to Levi turns into a stud...why? Becaue he will want more guaranteed moeny! ZOMG!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2007   #18
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
This is getting absolutely out of control. Rookie contracts are crazy.

I just saw that Levi Brown's deal with the Cards has the potential to make him the highest paid OT in the NFL

Similarly, CJ just signed his deal with the Lions, making him the highest paid player in Detroit history.

Guess what? Neither of these guys have played a single snap in the NFL!

THis is getting out of hand, and someone needs to step in and fix this issue
i vaguely remember being slightly lambasted for suggesting the same thing a year ago after the draft.
Old 08-03-2007   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
ESPN Radio has reported several times, that like Ricky Willaims rookie contract, MOST of the escalators are tied to performance clauses that he is likely not to meet.

And when eveaulation rookie contracts the key is always the guaranteed money, as the team will likely re-negoiate to Levi turns into a stud...why? Becaue he will want more guaranteed moeny! ZOMG!!!!!!
No matter the case, CJ is still the highest paid player, at ANY position, in the HISTORY of the Detroit Lions. (I know that doesn't necessarily mean all that much with inflation/salary cap increases, but STILL! He hasnt even played a SINGLE down or practiced even ONCE).

Quote:
The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms with their first-round pick, wide receiver Calvin Johnson, on a whopping six-year, $55.5 million contract that includes almost $27.2 million worth of guarantees. The contract has a maximum value of $64 million, and it makes him the highest-paid player in Lions history.

Unlike other rookie deals, it includes guaranteed money paid out from the moment Johnson signs it. It also includes another $4.5 million in bonuses that Johnson, the second overall pick in the draft, should earn by the middle of this season if he sees even a minimum amount of playing time.
Old 08-03-2007   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No matter the case, CJ is still the highest paid player, at ANY position, in the HISTORY of the Detroit Lions. (I know that doesn't necessarily mean all that much with inflation/salary cap increases, but STILL! He hasnt even played a SINGLE down or practiced even ONCE).
He's the truth, like jesus shuttleworth...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read