Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2007   #1
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So what does Mario have to do this year......

statwise, to stave off you calling him the "b" word? I only ask b/c i happened to pop on Davies & dukes this morning & they were sort of talking about it.

Maybe you look at it differently, not so much what Mario has to do statwise, but what does the defensive unit/line have to accomplish for you to feel Mario is at least becoming the force you thought he could be?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So what does Mario have to do this year......

All he needs to do is stay healthy and find consistency from game to game. He will have some games where he appears to be shut out and others where he rag dolls a couple of linemen a game like in the Giants game.

In reality the B word should not really ever be used on any player until after their 3rd year regardless of the player or the team etc. It just takes that long for most players to adjust to the pro game.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #3
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, it's not just what Mario does. I want him to contribute on a dominating D-line helping the defense pick up where it left off from the last half of the season. If he improves the way I hope, offenses will have to pay more attention to him allowing others on the defense to make plays. I really don't think we will have anything to worry about with Mario, though
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words...win games.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Has to put up Freeny or Peppers like numbers, simple as that.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to get wrapped up in calling him a success or failure based on a stat line. I would like to see him be a disruptive force, whether it's stuffing RB's in the backfield, tossing O-Linemen around and getting some sacks here and there.

4.5 isn't enough, by any means. I'd like to see him double that while being disruptive every Sunday.
Old 08-03-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I fully expect him to have 10+ sacks this year, and at least 2-4 FFs

Thats barely 1 every other game.

I know, I know, people are already saying he'll be double teamed. Franky, I don't care. Everyone knows Peppers is a beast, everyone knows Freeney is a beast, everyone knows Strahan, etc, etc and they still produce. With a new pass rushing DT in Okoye, a rejuvinated TJ and the surprising Maddox in the middle, I expect MW should easily surpass 10 sacks this season

If he doesn't, I will be the first to be disapointed. The first overall pick in the draft, after a full year of NFL experience, healthy and hungry, should not be given any more "cushion" time. As Texans fans, we have learned way too much patience. Carr is the perfect example. We need to expect our players to perform up to the level they were predicted to perform at.
Old 08-03-2007   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If your taken 1st overall, and you are just a solid contributer, you're a bust.

Hopefully he can be a solid run stopper.
Old 08-03-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Has to put up Freeny or Peppers like numbers, simple as that.
Peppers had 7 sacks the year the Panthers made a SB run and Freeney had 5.5 sacks in the year they won the SB. These were the worst sack totals of each of their respective careers.

We need a well rounded unit on defense and Mario will be the anchor for the first tier of that defense.
Old 08-03-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Peppers had 7 sacks the year the Panthers made a SB run and Freeney had 5.5 sacks in the year they won the SB. These were the worst sack totals of each of their respective careers.

We need a well rounded unit on defense and Mario will be the anchor for the first tier of that defense.

Damn your facts and logic!!!!
Old 08-03-2007   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I meant the usual 12-15 sacks a year numbers.
Old 08-03-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Freeney and the entire Colts defense was HORRIBLe all year. The only reason they even made it into the playoffs was because of their offense.

Once in the playoffs, Freeney resumed his natural pass rushing self. He was the sack leader for the postseason.

The Colts made it to the playoffs in spite of Freeney, not because of him.

As for Peppers, well, I can't really explain that one. Rucker benefited I guess, as he had something like 10-15 sacks that season
Old 08-03-2007   #13
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 103549 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Be a difference maker.

Make the defense better.

I would love to see a ton of sacks, but he doesn't have to have that to make a difference out there.
Old 08-03-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Freeney and the entire Colts defense was HORRIBLe all year. The only reason they even made it into the playoffs was because of their offense.

Once in the playoffs, Freeney resumed his natural pass rushing self. He was the sack leader for the postseason.

The Colts made it to the playoffs in spite of Freeney, not because of him.

As for Peppers, well, I can't really explain that one. Rucker benefited I guess, as he had something like 10-15 sacks that season
Yes, Freeney, Peppers and Mario are all horrible and make no one around them better.
Old 08-03-2007   #15
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if he can get us 1200 yds. and 8 td's that would be a great start ....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at last nights practice and the team wasn't in pads but I dunno if Mario really needs pads ? The guy is an awesome physcial physique ! And now that he's down to 'bout 280 lbs. he really looks almost as much like a basketball player as he does a football player. But couple that with his superior athleticism (can't help but wonder what the Mario-Lite 40 time and vertical elevation would be ?), and "Super Mario" says it all. But maybe the new D coachs and getting his first NFL year behind him will give him the maturity to take advantage of his prodigous physical skills.
BTW, Mario signed autographs after practice and he stayed forever and I think just about everyone got something signed and there was a ton of people wanting a signature. But the big guy showed a lot of patience, and dare I say maturity ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

20 or so players picked after him had better years than he did....so, he needs to simply play better...and outplay the guys picked after him....so he has a TALL order. Being the first overall pick in a DEEP draft carries a burden.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I meant the usual 12-15 sacks a year numbers.
They both average 10-11 sacks a year, not 12-15. Start with unreasonable expectations and you will end up disappointed.
Old 08-03-2007   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Now we are nitpicking numbers to further the excuses for MW

He was picked 1st. Therefore I expect him to perform better than every other player in the draft.

I won't be disapointed if he plays at or around the level of others in the draft, but a repeat of last year will surely be a failure
Old 08-03-2007   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

show some heart
show a mean streak
show more quickness
show better technique
show the ability to make more plays
show the ability to put Peyton and all the other QBs on their arse

in other words, he needs to show all the things that he didn't really show last year

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read