Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2007   #1
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another linebacker emerges

Another linebacker emerges

Last year it was DeMeco Ryans who stood out in training camp, then wound up becoming the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year. Now Zac Diles is making a similarly good early impression.

From Kubiak: "He's been something. I tell you what, this kid is physical, he'll do anything. He impresses his teammates everyday. (He's) very smart and has picked up what we're doing. He's pushing very, very hard to get on that field early. He's making a hell of a push. We'll see what happens during the preseason games."

— DALE ROBERTSON

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/...ndy_and_1.html
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another linebacker emerges

What LB position does Diles play??

Is he into the competition with Orr and Anderson or is he chasing Greenwood down??
Old 08-03-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I expected that kind of reaction from Jon Abbate
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #4
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't it ever be an LT that sticks out in camp... oh yeah... spencer how we miss you let me count the ways.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I expected that kind of reaction from Jon Abbate
Quote:
High marks for Abbate
If Gary Kubiak had to pinpoint "surprise players" in training camp, Jon Abbate's name would be at the top of the list.

The Texans shifted the rookie Wake Forest from linebacker to fullback, and the transition has been smoother than they ever predicted. With Jameel Cook on the physically-unable-to-perform list, Abbate has the opportunity to be a backup to Vonta Leach.

"It's been special," Kubiak said. "You take a kid from defense and put that much pressure on him, and put him on the offensive side of the ball, you got a short window to try to impress us. He can play in this league at fullback. I know one thing, our team knows he'll hit somebody, and that counts for a lot. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and we'll see how the preseason goes, but the kid's made up a lot of ground."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5020573.html
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Is he into the competition with Orr and Anderson or is he chasing Greenwood down??
Last night he played all over the place. Mainly weakside and middle.
Old 08-03-2007   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Good. We need all the good football players we can get!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Any where demeeco doesn't ? No seriuosly, I'm not at the meetings and I dunno, smells like a Greenwood insurance policy to me. I think he's close to coming to term on the contract. If the demands are too high, Diles makes a good crow bar. Bring the kid in slowly, work him in from Special teams and into the Will spot. Be a big find if the kid jumps from being a 7th rounder into pushing for a back up spot.

Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante. They've given him more than a fair shot to stick with the team. They like him and that's half the battle for a roster spot. He's blue collar and he brings a great desire to the table. He will never be a front line stater at this level.
Old 08-03-2007   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is backing up and getting reps at both MLB and WLB.
Old 08-03-2007   #10
real

I would litterally go cart wheels if Diles could up-root Morlon...

It shouldn't be too hard, cuz Greenwood ain't all that...
Old 08-03-2007   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

have to cosign this.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #12
DieselDeac
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respectedDieselDeac is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante. They've given him more than a fair shot to stick with the team. They like him and that's half the battle for a roster spot. He's blue collar and he brings a great desire to the table. He will never be a front line stater at this level.
Abbate went to Wake. Toal still goes to Boston College, and might miss the season with a shoulder injury.

The coaches speak highly of Abbate's future in the NFL at fullback.
DieselDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I am not understand what you are saying, about Abbate. He will never be a front line starter at what position LB? Yeah because they moved him to fullback, and the coaches have been raving about the transition and how he is learning on the fly at a very fast pace and has a good chance to be the backup.

So with that said he does have all the chance in the world to be a front line starter if he is the backup and Leach goes down, he would be the starter.
Old 08-03-2007   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeac View Post
The coaches speak highly of Abbate's future in the NFL at fullback.
Abbate looked like a natural catching passes out of the backfield, last night. Caught the ball on the move and fluidly turned up field. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Someone get pete some coffee.
Old 08-03-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post

I've never been a Greenwood supporter, but I have to admit he looks good so far in camp. Possibly some D-Ryans rubbing off on him.

He shaved his head too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Abbate looked like a natural catching passes out of the backfield, last night. Caught the ball on the move and fluidly turned up field. I was very pleasantly surprised.

He snagged a ball for a TD on a little out pattern during goal line O and he looked natural doing it.

IMO, Cook is gone.
Old 08-03-2007   #16
real

Quote:
Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante.
Wow, you have no clue what you're talking about...

edit: I see someone else already caught it...
Old 08-03-2007   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've never been a Greenwood supporter, but I have to admit he looks good so far in camp. Possibly some D-Ryans rubbing off on him.

He shaved his head too.
Yeah, from all the reports I've heard Greenwood looks good...I hope he is doing good...He says he is playing more physical, but I will have to see it to believe it...
Old 08-03-2007   #18
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is awesome news. I really like Abbate and would love to see him on this team. His character, his work ethic, and his talent are needed on this team. He may not have all the physical gifts as some of the "stars" in the NFL, but I am willing to bet if given the chance he can make an impact.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #19
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He is backing up and getting reps at both MLB and WLB.
I guess he couldn't play SLB. Since that position is weaker than the two he backs up.. But anyway, if he continues, looks like Morlon could be looking for a job next year.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I had some serious worries after the FB Anderson was cut because I figured it ment cook was here.

Now all this good info on Abbate means less cook, which can only help the Texans in the long run.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read