Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2007   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default CNNSI.com: Texans Desperate for Success

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ard/index.html

He had me until his typical "sports journalist" ignorance overcame any sense of reason...

"The fact is, Williams will get a little less attention this year, but in the end he will always be the Sam Bowie of the 2006 NFL Draft, the guy taken ahead of Reggie Bush."

And this should be news to us...

"Unrestricted free agent Andre Davis has been injured."
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #2
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CNNSI.com: Texans Desperate for Success

I guess we'll be reading/hearing this kind of crap until Mario proves them wrong. What gets me is the way they make it sound like it's a "fact" and it "will always be." What if Reggie tore his knee up and never played again, and Mario went on to average 12 sacks and 70 tackles per year for 10 years, would that still make Mario the "Sam Bowie" of football? I guess the point is it's too early to tell about Mario, Reggie, or Vince. I just wish they would stop saying things are facts when, in fact, they are not! But, I guess they feel that wouldn't sell magazines. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

reggie bush rookie 565 rush yards with a 3.6 ave 6td's
88 catches for 742 yards 8.4 ypc ave 2td's

michael jordan rookie 28.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, over 2 spg.

not only is mario not sam bowie but i dont see much of a resemblance between mj and rb.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario just needs to perform to shut people up.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #5
maddogmrb
Veteran

Rep Power: 5153 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

The bad news on this post is Andre Davis getting injured and he was looking good.....
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually saw a little objectivety about Bush's rookie year, putting it into
proper perspective and all, on ESPN today. On Jim Romes show his guest was
another 2006 NFL rookie back, Maurice Drew-Jones, and Rome asked Maurice if he resented Bush getting more hype than him even though he had a better year than Bush did. In other words, Bushs first year in the league was good but not one for the ages. Others had good years and some better and its a little soon to be putting players in the HOF or writing off the careers of others.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

He had me until his typical "sports journalist" ignorance overcame any sense of reason...

"The fact is, Williams will get a little less attention this year, but in the end he will always be the Sam Bowie of the 2006 NFL Draft, the guy taken ahead of Reggie Bush."

He had ME until he stated this:

Quote:
Erstwhile No. 1 overall draft pick Mario Williams says he wasn't aware of all the fuss last year, when his every play was dissected on ESPN, the NFL Network or any of the countless other media outlets covering the league, including SI.com and Sports Illustrated.

If nothing else, ESPN deliberately avoided Mario Williams' every play. And like everyone who knows anything about the NBA has pointed out: there was another man taken ahead of both Bowie and Jordan in that same draft with the #1 overall pick by Houston...and it turned out pretty dang well for them. So if nothing else, Reggie Bush has been the Sam Bowie to Vince Young's Michael Jordan...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2007   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
reggie bush rookie 565 rush yards with a 3.6 ave 6td's
88 catches for 742 yards 8.4 ypc ave 2td's

michael jordan rookie 28.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 5.9 apg, over 2 spg.

not only is mario not sam bowie but i dont see much of a resemblance between mj and rb.
Wali Lundy rookie 476 rushing yards with a 3.8 ave and 4 TDs
204 yds receiving (33 catches) for 6.2 ypc average and 0 TDs

And we got Mario Williams.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #9
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario does not deserve any credit for his first year of NFL play - he has proved nothing yet. Forget Bush, all Mario has to do is play aggressive this year and earn his keep. If he does that, everyone will give him his props regardless of what Bush does. The ball is in his court and I think he is capable of having a great year.
Old 08-01-2007   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ard/index.html

And this should be news to us...

"Unrestricted free agent Andre Davis has been injured."

Two things always bother me about that statement.

(1) At the time of the Hakeem, Bowie, Jordan draft, EVERY talking head in the country was saying that Bowie was the right pick for Portland since they had just drafted Clyde Drexler the previous year. But somehow the talking heads conveniently "forget" that they, themselves had all said that picking Bowie was the thing to do since Portland needed a big man and we had snapped up Hakeem. But what should I expect from the same A-holes that thought Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were both "can't miss picks". They don't seem to remember that prediction either.

(2) Who the hell knows what kind of career Jordan would have had out in Portland without Scotty, Worm, Caldwell, and the Zen Master. People seem to forget that Jordan didn't win crap until he got the right cast around him.

...not to mention that he had to wait until Magic, Bird, then Isiah Thomas all got too old to keep him down.

sorry, off my anti-Jordan soapbox now...
Old 08-01-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to ignore Layden's Mario Williams/Sam Bowie comparison because we're going to hear it every year unless Mario proves his doubters wrong. Here's what I liked about the piece though:

Quote:
Ahman Green, who is beginning his 10th NFL season, looks like a 22-year-old in a 30-year-old's body. After missing the last 11 games of the 2005 season following surgery to repair a ruptured quadriceps tendon, he played 14 games last year and rushed for 1,059 yards; respectable, but his lowest total since 1999.

In drills Wednesday, Green was hitting holes explosively and sprinting 50 yards downfield on every play. His body looks lively, and the guy does Pilates twice a week to retain flexibility. I think he's ready to return in full to the form of 2000-'04, when he rushed for more total yards (6,848) than any player in the NFL. I'm looking for Green to get at least 250 carries and 300 touches.
Quote:
Texans rookies stay in a hotel near the stadium throughout training camp, while veterans are allowed to go home at night. However, if a veteran is late for practice, he loses his home privileges and must check into the hotel.

Then there's sensational second-year linebacker DeMeco Ryans, who could live at home, but instead moves into the hotel. "It's two minutes away,'' Ryans says. "That's more nap time between practices.''
I hope he's right about Ahman Green. I've heard that he takes remarkable care of his body so I wouldn't be surprised at all. If he does return to the Ahman Green of old, I think we're going to be very happy fans.

And I love that DeMeco Ryans stays at the hotel close to the stadium. As a veteran he doesn't have to, but he does anyway. Soon, perhaps very, very soon, Ryans is going to be a household name in the NFL. In a year or two, I think writers and fans aren't going to think of Mario Williams and how they should have chosen Reggie Bush or Vince Young when the topic of the Texans comes up. Instead I think they'll think of DeMeco Ryans and what a beast he is.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: CNNSI.com: Texans Desperate for Success

DeMeco Ryans = Michael Jordan

Which means that there are 32 "Sam Bowie" players in the 2006 draft.
Old 08-02-2007   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58271 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted us to take Mario before draft day. Maybe I got caught up in the combine hype, maybe it was the numbers, but mostly I wanted a presence on defense. I wanted us to lose (er win) the Bush bowl because I wanted Bush. But once we got Kubes I wanted absolutely no part of Bush. I didn't really think VY was a possibility because we had just re upped for Carr. I wanted either Mario or Furgeson.

The reason I didn't want Bush is simple. He doesn't fit the system. You are wasting your money on Bush in this system. The thing that sets Bush apart from other RB's is his ability to juke and cut which would be nullified in this one cut and hit the hole system. You don't want a dancer in this system. Also, look what Kubes was getting out of Dayne by the end of the year. With an offensive guru like Kubes, especially what he's done in the past with no name backs, I wanted us to spend that pick on something to shore up a weakness we might have elsewhere. Once we get the system down and once we get the line straight, we'll get our 1200-1700 yards from the ground game. That's not my concern. My concern with an offensive minded coach is getting someone who can both stop the run and apply pressure to the QB. I think we got our guy in Mario.

It will take him time. Last year it was unfortunate that just as he was hitting his stride he started suffering from plantar faciatus or however you spell it. Even with that said, teams ran away from him most of the year. I know that because I went back and watched almost every defensive play last year 2 - 3 times. He might never put up the gaudy numbers we expect. He may never lead the league in sacks. But coupled with Ryans and Okoye, he gives you an end people don't want to run at and someone who will have to be accounted for every down.

If you want a solution at RB, I'd look at Michael Turner. That guy will be a stud. He'll be a UFA next year and we're going to have a ton of money to be throwing around. He's a big, one cut kinda guy who's fast as hell in the open field (they don't call him Michael the burner Turner for nothing). Additionally he's been running behind one of the best all purpose backs I've ever seen in LT.

The MJ to Bowie comparison's don't hold water. Basketball is an 8-9 man sport and everyone plays both ways. I know its obvious but football is a 30-40 man sport. That pretty much nullifies any comparison between the two.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #14
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

finally someone with some sense. I think the nfl network and espn wanted bush to do well because he was their chosen one. They showed the preseason reverse against the titans over and over. Had the texans picked bush and had he been asked to do the things kubes asks a back to do, people would be screaming about his misuse. Whats wrong with asking aa running back to be well a running back? I think mario was on his way and like u said they always ran away from him. This season will b different. Speaking of bush, lundy,drew,maroney,williams,addai, and norwood had a higher ypc than bush. Not only that, his longest run was 12 yards
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #15
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I saw Kubes talking about Bill Walsh. He reminded the reporter that SF had a solid defense from Walsh using high picks on D players. Then they ran a scheme offense and didn't do too badly overall.
TEXANSTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #16
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone remember that the "great" coach Jimmy Johnson was so high on Troy Aikman that he drafted another QB in the first round the year after Aikman was drafted.

I think that is right. It was a long time ago.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #17
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 12262 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

With 40 minutes left in practice, offensive and defensive linemen paired off for a one-on-one pass-rushing/pass-blocking drill. They were wearing no pads, yet battled each other in crisp collisions. At one point, 10-year veteran guard Steve McKinney was tied up with 15-year veteran Jeff Zgonina (acquired via free agency), their bodies smacking together painfully, when Zgonina yelped, "You f-----!'' McKinney immediately pulled back and said, "Sorry, I thought you were wearing pads.''

:
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Anyone remember that the "great" coach Jimmy Johnson was so high on Troy Aikman that he drafted another QB in the first round the year after Aikman was drafted.

I think that is right. It was a long time ago.
1989 Aikman
1990 Emmitt
1991 Maryland, Harper and Pritchett

Not sure what you are recalling. The Cowboys haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman.
Old 08-02-2007   #19
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I guess we'll be reading/hearing this kind of crap until Mario proves them wrong. What gets me is the way they make it sound like it's a "fact" and it "will always be." What if Reggie tore his knee up and never played again, and Mario went on to average 12 sacks and 70 tackles per year for 10 years, would that still make Mario the "Sam Bowie" of football? I guess the point is it's too early to tell about Mario, Reggie, or Vince. I just wish they would stop saying things are facts when, in fact, they are not! But, I guess they feel that wouldn't sell magazines. JMHO!
Then they will act like Mario has ALWAYS been the right pick, there will even be guys saying "I TOLD YOU ALL ALONG this was the smart pick for the Texans."

These guys have a tendecy to change their minds and forget about things. It is obvious because each one of them has about 5 Superbowl picks before superbowl.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
1989 Aikman
1990 Emmitt
1991 Maryland, Harper and Pritchett

Not sure what you are recalling. The Cowboys haven't drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman.
I think they used a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft on Steve Walsh in 1989.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read