Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-31-2007   #1
treygar
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 treygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballottreygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default i'm back

not that it matters, but as a texanstalk veteran that felt very slighted and miffed at the new regime and demise of the old texanstalk setup, i'm back for a few reasons.

1. this is the best Texans messageboard, this is something I've always said and I'm sure the refugees here from the official board have come to learn that Hookem's site is the best.

2. i built small friendships and relationships with some of you folks, and i don't want those to go away especially since i plan to attend a few tailgates this coming season.

3. i need to talk football somewhere.

now, a quick recap of why i left and such -

1. Rep points/power - whatever that is, to me is more of a popularity thing than anything - i'm above high school hijinks of that sort and it just pains me to see such stuff on what I view to be a laid back environment (or what was a laid back environment, I'm not sure if there are annoying trolls on this site or not I haven't even lurked here).

2. post counts - though not really a big deal to me, in fact if you think your post count makes you a better fan, person, or a more important member of the texanstalk community then you need to wake up and smell the tortas because it is really an insignificant thing as far as I'm concerned. i just like seeing well thought out opinions and posts and friendly banter, be it contradictory or otherwise. that i'm gonna have to start over even though i've been doing this with texanstalk what seems like ages is not a problem - but that I guess others got to have the post counts they achieved on another messageboard is what irked me the most, but whatever, its not my decision i'll live with it.

3. moderators - i don't particularly like the new mods for a variety of my own personal reason, i'm hoping they will be fair and not give me any problems as I've never attacked anyone other than Harry in good fun in the past. (is he still around by the way, again I haven't been here in ages.)

so yeah, i'm back I'm ready for the season and hope to be at the KC game or as many SA meetups as I can make.
treygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #2
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: i'm back

Welcome back.
Old 07-31-2007   #3
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to see you again Trey!!! Are you still keeping your eye on the Big Red when you can ? Harry is here but having some computer troubles at the moment!!!
Old 07-31-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If you do decide that you care about your post count and/or rep points, you don't have to start over. It's been posted here many times, and completed for many of the older members, that you can have your post count and rep set accordingly.

Either way, welcome back to the discussion.
Old 07-31-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The software is an upgrade and it's not something that gives us the server issues that the old software used to give Kevin, the mods are all family people who care about our fans, so we don't have too many troll issues here. If you have an open mind I think you will find a place full of Texans fans, run by Texans fans, helping Texans from all corners of the globe network and come together....this place is not any more agenda driven or complex than that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome back Trey!! Its the same - only different....
Old 07-31-2007   #7
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

in a beavis an butthead voice:
uuuuh hhhuuuuh back where did you go?
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by treygar View Post
not that it matters, but as a texanstalk veteran that felt very slighted and miffed at the new regime and demise of the old texanstalk setup, i'm back for a few reasons.

1. this is the best Texans messageboard, this is something I've always said and I'm sure the refugees here from the official board have come to learn that Hookem's site is the best.

2. i built small friendships and relationships with some of you folks, and i don't want those to go away especially since i plan to attend a few tailgates this coming season.

3. i need to talk football somewhere.

now, a quick recap of why i left and such -

1. Rep points/power - whatever that is, to me is more of a popularity thing than anything - i'm above high school hijinks of that sort and it just pains me to see such stuff on what I view to be a laid back environment (or what was a laid back environment, I'm not sure if there are annoying trolls on this site or not I haven't even lurked here).

2. post counts - though not really a big deal to me, in fact if you think your post count makes you a better fan, person, or a more important member of the texanstalk community then you need to wake up and smell the tortas because it is really an insignificant thing as far as I'm concerned. i just like seeing well thought out opinions and posts and friendly banter, be it contradictory or otherwise. that i'm gonna have to start over even though i've been doing this with texanstalk what seems like ages is not a problem - but that I guess others got to have the post counts they achieved on another messageboard is what irked me the most, but whatever, its not my decision i'll live with it.

3. moderators - i don't particularly like the new mods for a variety of my own personal reason, i'm hoping they will be fair and not give me any problems as I've never attacked anyone other than Harry in good fun in the past. (is he still around by the way, again I haven't been here in ages.)

so yeah, i'm back I'm ready for the season and hope to be at the KC game or as many SA meetups as I can make.
Glad you are back.

As to your points:

1. The rep system really shouldn't be considered a high school popularity thingy. At least for me, it's handy if you want to give someone a thanks for something that they did for the MB community. It's also nice if you see something really thoughtful that someone wrote, and you don't want to clutter the thread with a gee, I totally agree. Sometimes I see it as the lazy way to say something to someone without PMing them.

It also serves as a minor way that the Texans community can police itself.

2. If you want a post count that reflects how you were at the old TT.com, contact Vinny and he can give you your old post totals back based on your estimate. Kinda low tech, but it is the easiest way to do that.

3. With more people here than at the old TT, it can lead to more conflicts and trolls because a lot of the people don't know each other very well. Which takes away some of the laid back vibe. The mods try to make this a place where people can express their views on stuff without feeling like they are being attacked personally. I'm not sure of the exact nature of your problem with various mods, but I think for most folks, they don't really notice the moderation other than trying to keep the forums organized.

There's a number of subforums here where people get a little more goofy, like in the tailgate forum and rival forum.

Hopefully, eventually this will feel more like a home for you.
Old 07-31-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Please feel free to make a contribution in order to keep this the great site it was, is and will become.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/announcement.php?f=14
Old 07-31-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I never posted on Texans Talk while the old message board was up, but as a veteran of that one I can tell you this, even with tons more people then compared to the number that post now, you didn't really get many trolls. Like TexansChick said, some people post goofy stuff in some of the subforums (me for instance) but there is hardly any trolling. As far as post counts, I don't know of anyone here who uses post counts to determine how credible someone is. I think it's basically a non-issue.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #11
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Welcome back Trey

Hope to catch up with you for watching a game here in SA at some place
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #12
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome back Trey.

Been to Bucees lately?
Old 08-01-2007   #13
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Where did I put my spoon? 'Bout time I started stirring up the house again.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #14
treygar
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 treygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballottreygar is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

thanks for the replys to my old pals - and pm me with extra tickets for sale as well everyone - Filogirl and Sake see you in yellow and the rest of you in the Blue Crew i'll be lurking around as usual - going for five live games this year I'll see what happens.

in response to those mentioning just emailing to get my join date and post count back, i don't feel i really have to i've seen some boards go through this before and everyone just starts over - and for those that said that post counts and such don't matter here - then please explain to me why it was even allowed for people to keep their dates and post counts from the official board??? - obviously it did mean something or you wouldn't have people on here with join dates that i can swear on my son's life were NOT posting on texanstalk.com anytime near their SUPPOSED join dates.

to me it gives you some sense of being able to say you've been around here awhile when it is a lie - if you were on the official board you should have to earn your way onto texanstalk, not the other way around. it is not my fault the official board hosed everyone, and it is not my fault you weren't at texanstalk to begin with. this is my opinion and i will leave it at this since the last thing i want to do is start trouble or get canned my first week back.

i'm content on living with myself and starting over and being labeled a NOOB or whatever because i know that there are far more important things in life - like for instance who is going to start at left tackle.

------------------------------------------------------
end treygar rant on this subject i will not reply to anything else on this subject however feel free to PM me if you want to address anything specifically.
treygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #15
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

It's all good, man.
TEXANSTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i don't particularly like the new mods for a variety of my own personal reason, i'm hoping they will be fair and not give me any problems as I've never attacked anyone other than Harry in good fun in the past. (is he still around by the way, again I haven't been here in ages.)
Last I heard, Harry was on vacation.... "somewheres in Joisey"
Old 08-01-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

This is like watching a rerun on the comedy channel. I mean no disprespect to Raj, Dwayne, Rerun, Dee and Mama.
Old 08-01-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
then please explain to me why it was even allowed for people to keep their dates and post counts from the official board???
The software does not allow everyone to start at zero, because it automatically counts the history of the forum and everyone's posts, IIRC.

The owner of TexansTalk invited the history of the old 'official' board instead of closing down his site. The history of TexansTalk was on unstable software and was not compatible with VBB, so it was unable to be merged with the current software. There were many attempts tried behind the scenes, too.

Obviously it is your right to feel "hosed", but most folks were cool with it, and together, everyone has made the new TT better than both of the previous boards combined.

I hope you stick around, and you never know, you might make some new friends that share a common passion in the Texans.
Old 08-01-2007   #19
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Do I count as an annoying Troll.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Do I count as an annoying Troll.

On our opponents' boards? Yes. And more power to you, bro'.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read