Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2007   #1
real

Default A sit down with "King Solomon"

Quote:
mattyb83: Has anyone really caught your eye so far in Training camp?
Jerome_Solomon: I'd say Fred Bennett, because of his size and seeming willingness to make plays on the ball, but he has been overshadowed by Dunta Robinson, who has been spectacular. Robinson has won most of his battles with Andre Johnson - no easy task - and has tortured Kevin Walter and others. It seems the offense plays on half the field when Robinson is out there, because there are so few completions to his side compared to the other.
Quote:
G-146926331: Haven't heard much out of mario. Whats up with him?
Jerome_Solomon: He is working hard. I still think he has plenty of maturing to do - on and off the field - but he should be fine. He looks like the best player on the field, but he doesn't play like it always. But just when you forget how talented he is, he'll flash into the backfield before the offense has even gotten into their play and you say, "Wow."
Quote:
elvinator: Do you see Ahman Green having a productive year?
Jerome_Solomon: I would be very surprised if Green doesn't top 1,100 yards. I'm expecting more than 1,200 really. His injury status could change all that, but he won't get hurt because of age or conditioning. It'll be bad luck if it happens. He looks great.
Quote:
sideline: How much pressure is actually being felt by most players to change prior years results
Jerome_Solomon: I'm not sure pressure is the right word. They are more tired of being called losers. And you're a loser in this league until you win more games than you lose. Veterans who have been here 3-4-5-6 years say they are fed up with the national reputation of playing for a bungling franchise.
Lots of interesting discussion here
Old 07-31-2007   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A sit down with "King Solomon"

Quote:
sideline: How much pressure is actually being felt by most players to change prior years results
Jerome_Solomon: I'm not sure pressure is the right word. They are more tired of being called losers. And you're a loser in this league until you win more games than you lose. Veterans who have been here 3-4-5-6 years say they are fed up with the national reputation of playing for a bungling franchise.

As I recall, he's one of those guys who called the team, fans and ownership "losers". The word "loser" coming out of Solomon's mouth makes me wanna beat him.
Old 07-31-2007   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I read it this morning. I thought it was some pretty good info.

Some of you guys take his blog entries way too seriously. Stirring the pot makes the day go quicker.

Consider yourselves stirred.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #4
Vega
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Vega is on the Pro-Bowl ballotVega is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

As much as I dislike Solomon, that was surprisingly not crappy. He even seemed to be kind of optimistic. Maybe the backlash from the "loser" article actually softened him up a bit.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really enjoyed that. He's got some insight i hadn't heard about recently.

The info about Bennett is interesting. I hate the way the Texans do DB by field half. If he is playing up to his potential, why is he stuck behind DRob? I hope they throw him into the starters role in a hurry.

DBs always have trial by fire, but it made DRob a much stronger CB after being lit up a few times and being targeted all year
Old 07-31-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I really enjoyed that. He's got some insight i hadn't heard about recently.

The info about Bennett is interesting. I hate the way the Texans do DB by field half. If he is playing up to his potential, why is he stuck behind DRob? I hope they throw him into the starters role in a hurry.

DBs always have trial by fire, but it made DRob a much stronger CB after being lit up a few times and being targeted all year
I have no way to verify it, but the word is that D-Rob is tearing it up in training camp so far. He's supposedly making fools of most of our receivers, and even shutting down AJ when he's on him, which is no easy thing to do. It seems he's showing that he is the #1 corner on this team.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally think DRob should start, but what I was trying to say is that instead of having him backup DRob (who is the cleary #1 CB on our team, indicating Bennett will never get a chance to start), I'd rather have him out there on the other side of the field competing with Petey
Old 07-31-2007   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I totally think DRob should start, but what I was trying to say is that instead of having him backup DRob (who is the cleary #1 CB on our team, indicating Bennett will never get a chance to start), I'd rather have him out there on the other side of the field competing with Petey
Good point, now that I get it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #9
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Im just glad the front office finally found a second round DB who can step in right off and can give some help to the d-line who have given their fair share of help to the secondary.

The most interesting thing Ive seen this offseason is Green pointing out that C.C. is more intent than ever to get a winning season. Although I havent heard any one else support this.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #10
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
Im just glad the front office finally found a second round DB who can step in right off and can give some help to the d-line who have given their fair share of help to the secondary.

The most interesting thing Ive seen this offseason is Green pointing out that C.C. is more intent than ever to get a winning season. Although I havent heard any one else support this.

second round DB? bennett was taken in the 4th if thats who you are talking about.

and who is CC?
Old 07-31-2007   #11
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

My bad. I meant 2nd day.

CC Brown FS
Old 07-31-2007   #12
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
My bad. I meant 2nd day.

CC Brown FS
ohhhh ok. i cant see green talking about a DB wanting to get a winning season though.
Old 07-31-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
...but the word is that D-Rob is tearing it up in training camp so far. He's supposedly making fools of most of our receivers, and even shutting down AJ when he's on him, which is no easy thing to do.
One thing I noticed at the 1st 2 practices was that Robinson and Faggins have flipped sides of the field. Dunta is back at RCB, where he was as a rookie. He seems more confident there.

The 3rd CB spot appears to be between the FA pickup Fletcher and the rookie Bennett. Fletcher would probably play the slot in the nickel if he wins the job. If it's Bennett, he would play RCB and Robinson would play the slot.
Old 07-31-2007   #14
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
One thing I noticed at the 1st 2 practices was that Robinson and Faggins have flipped sides of the field. Dunta is back at RCB, where he was as a rookie. He seems more confident there.

The 3rd CB spot appears to be between the FA pickup Fletcher and the rookie Bennett. Fletcher would probably play the slot in the nickel if he wins the job. If it's Bennett, he would play RCB and Robinson would play the slot.
that is what i hope for. robinson can play the slot pretty good and on occasion he will get his chance to blitz
Old 07-31-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At Saturday's practice I noticed that too. I didn't think much of it at the time due to TC just beginning.

I also noticed the Offense kind of picking on Faggins and Earl. There were a couple of crossing routes that Earl didn't see until it was too late. One was to AJ and the other was to Daniels.I'm only assuming it was their fault as I was not in the huddle to hear the call.

Either way, the DB's as a unit have looked pretty good.
Old 07-31-2007   #16
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Either way, the DB's as a unit have looked pretty good.
this is a relief
Old 07-31-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your plant foot and your free hand when using various techniques are all backwards when you flip. Some guys have no issues on either side of the field but for some it is as hard as writing left handed. Personally, I don't know if Dunta has any issues with direction and technique but I do know I like to see him on the weakside most of the time. Faggins is a good coverage guy but his run support is suspect.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55535 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say CB2 is between Fletcher, Faggins, and Bennett. Each have issues, and are probably better suited to nickel this year.

Bennett is a rookie, and I'm not sure Kubes is ready to give him that much responsibility, but the early signs are positive, and he is tall for a CB, so he may have starting potential fairly early in his career.

Faggins has the experience, and he covers remarkably well for someone without great footspeed, but as Vinny noted he isn't great at run support, and his measurables leave something to be desired.

Fletcher is short. Did I mention Feltcher is short? However, I have heard he has been making some plays in camp and has looked pretty good, and he was the highest draft pick of the three for a reason.

Right now, if I were handicapping it, I would say Faggins starts due to his experience, and his better overall size than Fletcher.

Fletcher plays the slot or whomever is the shortest WR in nickel situations. I could see Robinson in on the slot as well, both to cover a taller WR, and/or to blitz.

I see them working Bennett on the dime packages to start, but he could mix in on some nickel as the season progresses, and could even surpass Fletcher at some point. I also think he might end up starting soon enough. I just think they will go slower with the rook since they have decent options ahead of him.

I am a little more hopeful about our situation at CB then I was coming into camp. But, I still don't like the safety spot much at all, which still leaves us very vulnerable. Here's hoping that Brandon Harrison is much better than I thought, and much sooner at that.
Old 07-31-2007   #19
real

I'm really excited with the news I'm hearing about D.Rob...

I like how our defense is shaping up, minus the DE situation...
Old 07-31-2007   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm really excited with the news I'm hearing about D.Rob...

I like how our defense is shaping up, minus the DE situation...
me too but what does that last line refer to.. mario? weaver? babin??
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read