Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2007   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Our defense looks fantastic

In these Texans TV training camp videos our defense looks great. Nothing else.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #2
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our defense looks fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
In these Texans TV training camp videos our defense looks great. Nothing else.
They do. I have seen a lot of interceptions in those videos. I hope it's because our defense is awesome and not that the offense is horrible.

That said, it's practice so the O may be just trying different things and not playing as tight as it needs to be.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like its a lot of Sage getting picked.

I don't see much of Zman and Van Pelt. I wonder how they are doing?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Seems like its a lot of Sage getting picked.

I don't see much of Zman and Van Pelt. I wonder how they are doing?
When you have a bunch of new receivers that you are not familiar with, interceptions are likely. We have a parade of relatively recently signed guys at the receiver position.
Old 08-01-2007   #5
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

LB Trent Bray took one interception to the house on Sage.

Course these are just snippets of the practice. Maybe the marketing department is showing so many nice defensive plays to show us fans that all the defensive picks are paying off.....

I don't mind a bit. I love awesome defense. If we have a dominating D I can live with that.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #6
Vega
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Vega is on the Pro-Bowl ballotVega is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Yeah, plus defenses always seem to be ahead of offenses this early in camp. Pair that with the fact that we had a lot of turnover on offense and not so much on D and the fact that many of us expect the D to be better, and that's not surprising.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #7
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

How has the D front been vs. the run? Interesting that your 2ndary is playing good, I thought that was a weak spot in your D.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2007   #8
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
LB Trent Bray took one interception to the house on Sage.

Course these are just snippets of the practice. Maybe the marketing department is showing so many nice defensive plays to show us fans that all the defensive picks are paying off.....

I don't mind a bit. I love awesome defense. If we have a dominating D I can live with that.

See Jags...that's what we got...Texans building a good team.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
How has the D front been vs. the run? Interesting that your 2ndary is playing good, I thought that was a weak spot in your D.
It was a weak spot last year. Still won't know about this year until they start playing, but alot of the reports coming out of camp are saying Dunta has elevated his play and the signing of Fletcher, drafting of Bennett and Mitchell have made the Secondary better. How much better remains to be seen. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It also helps when the QB is throwing from his back.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I still think the secondary is a glaring weakness on our defense, if the rookies are making as good of an impression as they are reported to be. I don't think we are going to get lucky enough to pick up yet another DROY out of our draft this time around.

BTW, did anybody remember any reports of Demeco Ryans being really stellar in training camp last year?
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I still think the secondary is a glaring weakness on our defense, if the rookies are making as good of an impression as they are reported to be. I don't think we are going to get lucky enough to pick up yet another DROY out of our draft this time around.

BTW, did anybody remember any reports of Demeco Ryans being really stellar in training camp last year?
Well, he wasn't going to be starting until the guy in front of him (Wali Rainer?) went down with injury. He was showing flashes of brilliance but was still adjusting to the speed of the game.

iirc.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #13
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
the biggest thing i remember hearing about was that he was capable of playing all the LB positions. also that he also had a good nose for the ball.
Old 08-01-2007   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well, he wasn't going to be starting until the guy in front of him (Wali Rainer?) went down with injury. He was showing flashes of brilliance but was still adjusting to the speed of the game.
I think there was some consternation that he was going to have to play middle linebacker when it was obvious he was an outside backer. I can't remember how prevalent that thought was though.
Old 08-02-2007   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he's gonna make it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #16
JamesC
Lumberjack

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesC

I remember reading an article last year about how the d line was supposed to be the deepest, most talented unit on the team. I hope they can prove their worth this year. Especially Mario.
JamesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think there was some consternation that he was going to have to play middle linebacker when it was obvious he was an outside backer. I can't remember how prevalent that thought was though.
The team's coaches had Meco at the OLB spot, and then he was tried out in the middle...and the coaches were mulling it over because it's a critical spot for the defense and he was "merely a rookie" and that kind of pressure might be too much for him, etc.

There was genuine anxiousness by the coaches during this part of camp last year. But I think he started "jelling" so quickly that the coaches (including Kubiak) began to really be sold on Meco at the middle backer position.

And the rest is history......
Old 08-02-2007   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I remember last year people talking about the defense dominating the offense, and how good the defense must be. Then both sides of the ball started to look really good during preseason games. Even went 3-1 in preseason. Then the Texans went 0-3. I'm not saying the defense sucks or doesn't look fantastic, but I'm waiting for something more than the Texans offense as a measuring stick for the abilities of the defense.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #19
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

i agree
Old 08-02-2007   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats the bad thing about being a bad football team. You look great against yourself, but it doesnt mean squat against other teams.

In fact, I used to think our OL and DLs main problems were that they competed against each other. Instead of making each other better, they made each other worse.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read