Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans hope Schaub turns them around

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...em_around.html

Quote:
Texans hope Schaub turns them around
By PAUL DOMOWITCH
pdomo@aol.com

HOUSTON - Smart decisions have been few and far between in the Houston Texans' 5 years of existence, which goes a long way in explaining why they're still in search of their first winning season.

This is a team that used its first pick in the 2002 expansion draft on a damaged-goods offensive tackle named Tony Boselli, whose considerable baggage included a career-threatening shoulder injury and a $9 million salary-cap tag. Boselli, a onetime Pro Bowl left tackle with Jacksonville, never played a down for the Texans.

This is a team that, in 2004, gave free-agent offensive tackle Todd Wade a $10 million signing bonus, only to cut him 2 years later. This is a team that, in 2005, traded second- and third-round picks to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon. Buchanon, like Wade, was a bust who made just six starts in 2005. In 2006, he was with Tampa Bay
Quote:
Before trading for Schaub, Kubiak talked to a number of coaching colleagues about the kid, including Bill Musgrave, who was Schaub's quarterback coach in Atlanta, former Falcons offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, and Al Groh, Schaub's coach at the University of Virginia.

"The thing that stood out every time I talked to one of them was not so much that he can do this or he can do that," Kubiak said, "but the fact that the kid loved football. He's a winner. He's a leader. That's what you're looking for in this league. Your quarterback's got to be a guy who loves the game. Matt is the first one here and the last one to leave.

Last edited by Wolf; 07-30-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hope Schab turns them around

He's doing and saying all the right things, so he's off to a good start. But we really won't know until the season starts and his decisions are for the record and analysis.
Old 07-30-2007   #3
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to be picky but you misspelled Schaub on the title.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Misspeller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks, keyboard malfunction

I should have named it "Texans hope #8 turns them around"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thread title repaired.
Old 07-30-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hope Schaub turns them around

It's way to early to tell ... besides I did'nt see the ex qb practice so I can't make a comparison .

We'll know pretty quick how he plays in a game ... that I have seen the ex do .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
From those of you who have been there and seen him, albeit in a limited capacity, what do you think? Considering all the hate threads about a former QB, I had thought to see more positive commentary about Shaub.
I haven't been there and at the end of last season, I was in the ABC group. But. Honestly. Looking at some of the clips, that ball looks like it's coming out awfully low when Schaub throws it.

Am I looking at the clips wrong? Were the clips filmed at a bad angle?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I took advantage of a couple opportunities on Saturday to let some Texans and other media types know that we've heard enough of the L word already... not sure if it will do any good.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought for certain that we would have an eye on this guy to see what he can do, given what he was signed to do.

Earl, does the TC keep us from seeing him? I mean the general public? I am not real happy with waiting until the season begins. I'd like to know before pre-season whether or not he's got game.
I thought Schaub and Sage were both good . How does this translate into a game ... beats me .

What I did notice was their throwing to everybody but AJ . You can tell that they want more than one reciever .

Round Dan
Old 07-30-2007   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
aj, what do you mean by the L word?

I have a couple of ideas in my head and none of them feel good. Please do not tell me our wide outs are going to be trapping balls with questionable challenges made for....trapping. Is he going to connect or try and bounce things off the turf into someone's belly?

Who's the ___ of the club that's made for you and me Matt .

Round Dan
Old 07-30-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Ok. Are they sizing up options based on field advantage, player connects, etc? Or is this one huge experiment waiting to unfold half-way through the season?

I'm cool with 2 QBs and the WR they can hit based on our postion and scoring . Especially if we are in a deficit. But, I'd just like to know if the price tag on Shaub is still attached. I'll take my chances with Sage based on what I saw him do last year.
I would call Atlanta and ask if they are willing to give us a 1st and 2nd round pick to have him back ... nothing against Schaub ... but I'd take the picks because he's not Elway .

Round Dan
Old 07-30-2007   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I just asked Royal what he thought in another thread about this. I'm waiting on a reply because I say that if he hasn't snazzed everyone with immense talent at this point, we should take him back to Customer Service, keep Sage and hire Aaron Brooks for super cheap as a back up. Sounds stupid, maybe, but I think it could work, especailly if we got the picks back. Brooks has always needed a good QB coach. Isn't that what Kubes is supposed to be?
I think Schaub is at a slight disadvantage because he's new , has more pressure , and is learning Kubiak and his system .

I did'nt see Schaub throw long , so I can't tell arm strength . I'll be there Thursday , so we'll see .

Round Dan
Old 07-30-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seriously? Low throws? What is our average height in WR? Doesn't do much good to hit these guys in the groin instead of the chest.
I'm not saying he's aiming low. I'm saying he's releasing low. That was the whole problem with getting balls knocked down the past few years.

If you can take a look at the Day 4 Highlights (not sure if you've got the bandwidth), it looks like Schaub releases the ball very low, like HWWNBN. I had heard he released the ball high and stood tall in the pocket. There are a couple of throws shown in that tape where his release looks very "shot-puttish" (including a pick).
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read