Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-30-2007   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default NAACP calls the prosecution of Vick 'criminal'...LOL

well I knew it wouldn't take long for some political interest group to play the race card in regards to Vick's dogfighting allegations. And lo and behold, its the NAACP coming to Vick's defense. Aren't these guys supposed to come to the defense of African-Americans who face actual racism and don't have the resources to help themselves? What are they doing saying Vick has been treated unfairly and that its a 'crime' on how he has been treated? His trial hasn't even started yet.

This 'Doctor' is a pile of crap and for the NAACP to champion Vick case is a disservice to the many valid issues that the NAACP has tackled over the years. They should be chiding him if anything. Vick has been perpetuating a negative African-American stereotype and probably set his own race back 20 years with his allegations due to his icon status. Vick's past behavior and attitude (and vocabulary) only perpetuated the 'thug life' that has been so crippling to African-American youth and been so destructive to America in general. The 'get rich quick or die trying' hiphop thug mentality needs to go away and now it seems the NAACP wants to keep those 'values' in place.

I just couldn't believe that they are calling foul play. It's just laughable. Keep on 'keepin it real'....I am sure 'the man' is happy about this.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#

if the video doesn't play automatically go to Vick's Treatment Called Crime

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 07-30-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #2
real

Default Re: NAACP calls the prosecution of Vick 'criminal'...LOL

I don't know what the NAACP is arguing...

They may actually have some valid points, but I'd like to atleast hear their side of it before I make a judgement...
Old 07-30-2007   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't get to the video, but I heard about this story earlier today. It turns out that this is just the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP that supports dogfighting.

The national chapter isn't ready to kill it's credibility yet.

At any rate, this is a real misuse of a powerful position. I don't see how supporting a multi-millionaire organized crime figure advances the cause of the NAACP.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I just watched it. Looks to me like a Mike Vick fan trying to use his position as a community leader to advance his cause.

Like I said in my above post, he's doing the entire national organization a disservice by trying to make this a race issue.
Old 07-30-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Especially when some very well known members of the African American community (Sharpten + Russel) have teamed up with PETA saying he should be prosecuted
Old 07-30-2007   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton trading cards are worth more than one Atlanta chapter NAACP trading card.

ah well, this subject seems to generate too much emotion, and since it has little to do with actual football, hopefully these threads can end up in the NSZ. JMO
Old 07-30-2007   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I just watched it. Looks to me like a Mike Vick fan trying to use his position as a community leader to advance his cause.

Like I said in my above post, he's doing the entire national organization a disservice by trying to make this a race issue.
I also am bothered that it is always comes down to the celebrity. Heck, why not have a press conference for all 3-4 men or any other men. This is reeking of a publicity grab. Talking about "piling on."
Old 07-30-2007   #8
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't know what the NAACP is arguing...

They may actually have some valid points, but I'd like to atleast hear their side of it before I make a judgement...
same here.............I agree that they aren't attacking Vick "because he's black" but more "because he's a big name"....but yeah I'd like to hear their argument first.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Vick has been perpetuating a negative African-American stereotype and probably set his own race back 20 years with his allegations due to his icon status. Vick's past behavior and attitude (and vocabulary) only perpetuated the 'thug life' that has been so crippling to African-American youth and been so destructive to America in general.
Why does the action of one man cripple a whole race ? Why do his actions "set us back" ?

If a prominent white man were caught fighting dogs would it be crippling to the whole caucasian race ?

Quote:
The 'get rich quick or die trying' hiphop thug mentality needs to go away and now it seems the NAACP wants to keep those 'values' in place.
What are you talking about ?

"Get rich or die trying" has nothing to do with dog fighting...

Dog fighting is a sport...It's a nasty and illegal sport, but nevertheless it's still a sport...It's something people enjoy...They want to raise and train the biggest baddest and meanest dog...The money isn't why people get into dog fighting...

And secondly, "get rich or die trying" is not race, nor culture specific...Sure 50 cent said it, and put it in those terms, but not one race nor culture is innocent of trying to cheat the government at the hopes of getting rich even at the possible exspense of their life...And to say that the NCAA has anything to do with this is ludicrous....

People trying to get rich quick has been happening since the beggining of time....The NCAA won't be the driving force behind it, and you won't be the opposing force to stop it...

Last edited by real; 07-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2007   #10
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
At any rate, this is a real misuse of a powerful position. I don't see how supporting a multi-millionaire organized crime figure advances the cause of the NAACP
I agree

Quote:
Why does the action of one man cripple a whole race ? Why do his actions "set us back" ?

If a prominent white man were caught fighting dogs would it be crippling to the whole caucasian race ?
I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately for black folks when one of us screws up it makes all of us look bad.............for "some" reason.
Old 07-30-2007   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton trading cards are worth more than one Atlanta chapter NAACP trading card.

ah well, this subject seems to generate too much emotion, and since it has little to do with actual football, hopefully these threads can end up in the NSZ. JMO
I agree! We're going to be hearing about this case all season long.

At least merge all the Vick BS into one sticky thread or something.
Old 07-30-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

From a purely legal perspective, I go along with the NCAAs take on this. Vick is being railroaded: he was being tried, convicted, and sentenced in public circles before he even entered his NG virdict last week.
And once again, I got to wonder where this Boards lefties are, the libs, the card-carrying members of the Democratic party who are so interested in making sure everyone's due process is respected. Either they have more concerns about the rights of the Islamic terrorists who would destroy our
counrty or they are worryed about criticism from their peers for having Vicks
back (in terms of his legal rights) on what is a very unpopular activity to say the least in which Vick is accused of being involved in.
BTW, I suspect the ATL chapter of the NCAA has significant infleunce upon the national level. ATL is primarily an African-American city (not the 'burbs),
which is of course the home of MLK. It's always considered one of the if not the leading AA cultural center of this country.
Another thing FWIW. What % of NFL players (who of course are majority AA), would be concerned about Vicks treatment here ? I think that is important consideration ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
They may actually have some valid points,

I doubt that. If they did even have a point for even commenting on the Vick case, it would be surprising.
Old 07-30-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
From a purely legal perspective, I go along with the NCAAs take on this. Vick is being railroaded: he was being tried, convicted, and sentenced in public circles before he even entered his NG virdict last week.
And once again, I got to wonder where this Boards lefties are, the libs, the card-carrying members of the Democratic party who are so interested in making sure everyone's due process is respected. Either they have more concerns about the rights of the Islamic terrorists who would destroy our
back (in terms of his legal rights) on what is a very unpopular activity to say the least in which Vick is accused of being involved in.
BTW, I suspect the ATL chapter of the NCAA has significant infleunce upon the national level. ATL is primarily an African-American city (not the 'burbs),
which is of course the home of MLK. It's always considered one of the if not the leading AA cultural center of this country.
Another thing FWIW. What % of NFL players (who of course are majority AA), would be concerned about Vicks treatment here ? I think that is important consideration ?
The boards lefties, much like in the political dialogue in this country, are a made up entity to promote a social conservative agenda that must have a recognizable bogeyman in order for the base to attack.
Old 07-30-2007   #15
real

Quote:
I agree.

I'm more concerened with the rights of the individual moreso than I am with the individual himself.

Vick being convicted before he is actually convicted isn't a good thing no matter how you spin it.

I'm not going to say race has everything to do with the publics attitude towards MV...I won't even go as far as to say it has 'a lot' to do with it...But you'd have to be really naive to think his race has 'nothing' to do with how this case is being handled AND looked at...
Old 07-30-2007   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well written but I completely disagree. Where is he being railroaded legally?There was a long term investigation that yielded evidence. The evidence was then combed through and Vick was indicted. He bonded out after his plea of "Not Guilty" and is now awaiting trial. All by the book. His employer is suspending him for the time being, pending the trial..something done in many normal situations. I'm trying to figure out how people are piling on?Americans have opinions. You take a set of facts..he owned the house, etc, read the indictment and then draw conclusions. But my opinion doesn't affect Vick or make him railroaded. He is still going through the process whether I think he is guilty or not. If some Feds broke into your office after months of surveillance and people thought you had information regarding a federal crime, I guarantee your work place wouldn't have you hanging out at the office until your trial.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 07-30-2007 at 01:30 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From a purely legal perspective, I go along with the NCAAs take on this. Vick is being railroaded: he was being tried, convicted, and sentenced in public circles before he even entered his NG virdict last week.And once again, I got to wonder where this Boards lefties are, the libs, the card-carrying members of the Democratic party who are so interested in making sure everyone's due process is respected. Either they have more concerns about the rights of the Islamic terrorists who would destroy our
I guess you could go out and be arrested for this and your employer would say well you have yet to be convicted don't worry about it I will let the PETA groups and animal rights groups protest infront of my building and lose millions of dollars but hey continue to work in that cubical or what ever. ........... I CALL BULLCRAP on that one.

He was not fired by the NFL he was told to stay away from training camp with pay ... let me repeat that for you WITH PAY. doh the railroad just went onto another track.

Nike did not terminate vick's contract, they suspended sales of his merchandise until the results of the legal process are concluded. Again he was NOT FIRED. Opps I guess the naacp forgot to mention that. Ken Lay was pretty much convicted in the court of public opinion, do you think the local chapter of the naacp were defending him.

With incodents like last two years ago with the Philadelphia chapter of the naacp calling out Donavan McNabb about being a real blackman against TO, yes the naacp has a whole lot of credibility.
Old 07-30-2007   #18
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not going to say race has everything to do with the publics attitude towards MV...I won't even go as far as to say it has 'a lot' to do with it...But you'd have to be really naive to think his race has 'nothing' to do with how this case is being handled AND looked at...
I think "race" argument has to do more with how the media is portraying Mike Vick......
Old 07-30-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Well written but I completely disagree. Where is he being railroaded legally?
I don't see where he said MV is being "railroaded legally"...
Old 07-30-2007   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't see where he said MV is being "railroaded legally"...
He didn't. Frog's point was that he isn't being railroaded by the legal process.

At least I think so.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read