Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2007   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I predict that Babin will have a great year.

With all the abuse he's taken for costing us so much & not putting up All-Pro numbers, I truely believe that this year will be the year he steps up & takes it to the next level.

He's going into his second year playing the same position he was so successful at in college. Babin is a very athletic DE that has exceptional quickness, exceptional tackling skills, & very good pursuit speed. With the improved depth on our defensive line, it'll only help to free him up more.

So, I predict that he'll end the season with 30+ tackles & 10+ sacks for the year as Mario's backup. And, there you have it.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I predict that Babin will have a great year.

the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Pass it this way .

I hope Babin gets 15 sacks .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I want some of what ya'll are smoking. 10+ sacks for a backup?
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope your right. 10+ is quite alot.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #6
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
With all the abuse he's taken for costing us so much & not putting up All-Pro numbers, I truely believe that this year will be the year he steps up & takes it to the next level.

He's going into his second year playing the same position he was so successful at in college. Babin is a very athletic DE that has exceptional quickness, exceptional tackling skills, & very good pursuit speed. With the improved depth on our defensive line, it'll only help to free him up more.

So, I predict that he'll end the season with 30+ tackles & 10+ sacks for the year as Mario's backup. And, there you have it.
meh... Pretty much a low risk prediction, IMO... if you're wrong, who really cares? If you're right, you get to blow your own horn about it...

On the other hand... I really hope we get to hear you blow your horn about this a few months from now...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
I'm gonna need more than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

makes me think damn Casserly, damn you to HE double hockey sticks

babin and TJ ....(it isn't I don't like the guys personally because I am sure they are doing their best,but .....)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
makes me think damn Casserly, damn you to HE double hockey sticks

babin and TJ ....(it isn't I don't like the guys personally because I am sure they are doing their best,but .....)
Babin I don't mind so much becuase there wasn't much talent we could have gotten. However with TJ we passed on DJ, Alex Barron, and Jamal Brown.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Babin I don't mind so much becuase there wasn't much talent we could have gotten. However with TJ we passed on DJ, Alex Barron, and Jamal Brown.
true, I was thinking along the lines of we moved up in the draft for that and probably could have gotten him later (no guarantees)
but it was like a 2nd/3rd/swop of 4ths?? or so?

I can't remember but that is water under the bridge

here is to babin tearing it up
Old 07-30-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post

Which, if he meets your rather lofty guess, leaves him only 135 short of Mr. Kevin Green. Ok I'll bite...one more year. He puts up another clunker...the "b" word is coming out next off season. Willams and Okoye are heathly most of the season, all he has to do is beat an OT. My money says he didn't have the first step three years running, he's not going to have it in '07 either. That's my guess.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-30-2007 at 01:18 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The proof of the pudding will be this year. Babin is supposedly a speed guy who never developed additional moves. If the OT could neutralize Babin's speed, he had no plan "B". Since the Texans brought in a defensive line coach to teach all the guys better technique, he should be more effective. If not, he won't be back.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just amazed at the lack of faith some of you have. I don't know what to say.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Vader"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

that is what came to mind
Old 07-30-2007   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

or this one for vader

Old 07-30-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Vader"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

that is what came to mind

Look either way, he breaks out HT or he doesn't...you're telling me that this guy had to reach the end of his contract to turn on the jets. What does that say about the guy ? And more importanly are you going to resign him at 40 mill with 9 to twelve mill. gaurenteed ? That's the bottom line with Mr. Babins.
He better turn on the jets. He'll be selling washer dryer combos at sears this time next year.

Apparently from you're POV, the guy has been hancuffed by the system and circumstances beyond his controll. OK I'l bite...walk the fricken walk. I'm saying if the guy was going to be Micheal Strahan we would of seen flashes of that by now. If he was going to be Kevin Green...if there was any way he was going to develope like Caper's thought he would...and I don't know that for a fact...but I'm guessing that was a Caper's quick fix pick, He would be in the low forties by now and not throwing up sevens. And I see nothing wrong in putting the cold light of reality on this deal after hearing all the cring about taking another d-lineman in the first. They felt compelled to make a move to get the production up and the correct guy fell right into their laps. Babin's fits with the guys who are platooning with the DEs this season. But beyond that...it as big a strech putting this guy at ten as it is to believe he's been doggin' it for three years and now has finally seen the fricken light. Which ever it is, it is not good. With the abundace at DE on the Texan's, that combined with the fact he isn't a true 4-3 DE and the number of 3-4 LBs that went off the board in last spings draft...begs the question, why couldn't they move this guy for a pick and gotten a true 4-3 guy to groom and platoon this season ? Because with his tallent level, it is far better to take the chance that he'll hit the waiver wire next spring and cost them the vet minimun on the guy than spend the future pick on him. And that my friend is pretty danged low on the NFL tallent scale. If he makes eight, they should dangle him out for a draft pick. Anyone makes an offer over a six pack and a ham sandwich for the guy after the season, do the deal. Anyone bites get the check into the account befor they can change their minds.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-30-2007 at 03:23 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Jason was great as a DE against Western Michigans schedule, but he's just too small to produce at a superior if even average level in this league at that position IMO.
I think he's at about 265-270 now while his ideal weight to maximize his quickness is probably 'bout 10-15 lbs less than that.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, he did record 5 sacks as a backup last year, only playing in 15 games. Not bad, in my opinion
Old 07-30-2007   #19
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what to think about Babbin. After being drafted in the 1st round, he was asked to lose weight and learn a new position in the NFL AND start immediately! People talk about how hard the transition is from college to the NFL while staying at their position they have played at for years. Imagine coming to the NFL with huge expectations while learning a new position on a bad team. Then after a change in the org. he is asked to gain weight again and go back to his natural posiotn where as a back up he led the team in sacks. I'm willing to give the guy a chance to improve this season and if he does (8-10 sacks) I wouldn't mind keeping him. Because at this point, we can't cry over what we gave up to get him and if he improves how can we cut him without finding a replacement. If he improves, I say keep him on the roster because next year we are going to have much bigger needs that will need attention.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Babin played DE in college (at a small school, at that), but was expected to switch to LB in a 3-4 as a pro. As if thr transition to the pros wasn't enough, the team asked him to do all kinds of things he didn't excel at in college. Add in a shoulder injury his sophomore year. Then, he's switched back to DE in a 4-3. He played very limited minutes last year, but anyone who paid attention to him saw what kind of pressure he created when he did manage to get on the field. If you could somehow come up with a stat for pressure-per-snap-played, I have no doubt he'd be among the best.

Now, in the end, results are all that matter. So I'm not touting Babin as any great shakes. But he can be this team's Mark Anderson (Bears part-time DE that registered 8 sacks last year). I'm not predicting 8 sacks, or any set number, but I am saying that I think Babin will continue to improve, and the coaches will find it hard to keep him off the field. Of course, if Mario does all he's supposed to, and Weaver does more than he did last year, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Of all the "busts" this team has drafted, Babin has the best shot of living up to his draft status, IMO. He'll likely never be worth what the team gave up, but he wasn't the one who negotiated those trade picks. All he can do is go play. I see talent and perseverance in the man.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read