Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2007   #1
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 760 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Ahman Green

Can't I dream he will be as good as he was.

THis gives you the warm feeling in your heart.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k543UYkYqz0
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ahman Green

Of course you can. But the reality of it is he is over thirty and every time he steps onto the feild now...at this stage of his career, he is defing the odds. Most last three years and this guy has gone 2.5 times longer. Keep the touches below twenty a game, platoon him he Might get to 1200/8 TDs behind this line.
If Carolina is up to parr, that will be a bench mark. He gets past the pathers he's got a real chance to finish the season.
Old 07-26-2007   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Green and Dayne as for this season only. Hopefully, one of the younger guys shows enough to be a starter for a few seasons after. If not, I'd look strong at a RB for 2008. We could possibly end the season with question marks at QB, #2 WR, FS, LT, C, #2 CB, DE (opposite Mario), LB and RB.
Old 07-26-2007   #4
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP

with chris taylors size and speed you would think he could potentialy be a really good back...now just needs to fix the fumbling problem
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget Green's blocking abilities, too. They are a skill that Kubiak will want to be passed down to the younger guys.

Nice highlights, though!
Old 07-26-2007   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe View Post
with chris taylors size and speed you would think he could potentialy be a really good back...now just needs to fix the fumbling problem
I think a lot of eyes will be on this youngster. He started out pretty well. Maybe this is his year to explode on the season. If we could have another 1,000 yds rusher with a few TDs originating from outside of the 20 on this team, it would really benefit the offense.
Old 07-26-2007   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Let's not forget Green's blocking abilities, too. They are a skill that Kubiak will want to be passed down to the younger guys.

Nice highlights, though!
Exactly. That's why Lundy got sent back to the practice squad for a while last year. His blocking was bad.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2007   #8
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

one thing that stood out to me in the video was tremendous speed control, like a sports car keeping the needle at redline but changing gears at will, very impressive. you see how he would coast for a while then "BAM" put it in passing gear and shoot past 2 or 3 defenders? almost like a kick returners moves. watching him in recent years though he seems to have lost a few of those gears, not quite the acceleration ability. but he still has the vision, maybe moreso now then in college. I think we will benefit from his play both on the scoreboard and on the practice field. Taylor has the speed and the agility, not sure about the explosive quickness though. I fear we may need to spend a high draft pick to solve our long term situation at RB. but we should be solid enough until that can mature. I cant wait ! GO TEXANS!
Old 07-26-2007   #9
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

If he is about 70% of that video, Id be satisfied...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #10
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

If they give him 20 touches a game he should last the season and get 1200+ yards.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #11
Rampage
Rookie

Who doesn't want a 30 year old injury prone back running behind the worst line in the NFL?
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Green was no doubt the best RB in free agency. But he has had really 1 extremely impressive year and a few in which he was in the top 7 or 8 backs in the league. He hasn't had 1200 yards in a season in 3 years. He got 1059 yards last year and 1163 the year before his injury. He's only scored 8 or more rushing TD's 3 times in his career and since 03 he hasn't had a bunch of success to speak of.

Expecting him to get 1200/8 may be a bit much especially since I would imagine that Dayne will get a lot of goal line carries. I would pay more attention to his YPC than anything if you want to gauge his effectiveness. If the Texans as a whole average more than 4.0 - 4.2 YPC (not including the QB) they will have a better year than I thought.

And where do we expect him to get 20 carries/game?

Here are his carries/game averages since he got to green bay.

I think if you want him to stay healthy you have to limit him to 18 or so touches. He has played a full season only 4 times in his career (granted he's played at least 14 games 8 of his 9 seasons). I expect him to be spelled by Dayne early and its a damn good sign if we see Taylor replacing him later in the year.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!

Last edited by Texanmike02; 07-26-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahman getting 1200+ would be nice. But if I had to choose between that stat and our running game as a whole averaging 4.0-4.5 yds/carry, I'd pick the latter. That says we have a running attack that must be dealt with which, in turn, makes our play action passing more effective.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, it's a nice video of the guy in his hey-day in college. That was over 8 years ago. He is on the wrong side of 30, and doesn't have those gears. Even in college he was caught from behind on his highlights, and that was just the Big 12. This is the NFL, where they can catch Bush easily. Green isn't a good enough back to do that stuff anymore. I really do not expect more than 800-900 yards from him. I don't think he will have an injury, but may have a mystry one at the end of the year that he had to secretly cope with during the year and he is let go for that cited reason. In reality, I expect him to be a flop. I expect him to go about 3-4 games as the true feature back, and when he proves that he can't be that guy, we start seeing much more of a rotation.
Old 07-27-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Look, it's a nice video of the guy in his hey-day in college. That was over 8 years ago. He is on the wrong side of 30, and doesn't have those gears. Even in college he was caught from behind on his highlights, and that was just the Big 12. This is the NFL, where they can catch Bush easily. Green isn't a good enough back to do that stuff anymore. I really do not expect more than 800-900 yards from him. I don't think he will have an injury, but may have a mystry one at the end of the year that he had to secretly cope with during the year and he is let go for that cited reason. In reality, I expect him to be a flop. I expect him to go about 3-4 games as the true feature back, and when he proves that he can't be that guy, we start seeing much more of a rotation.
OTOH, he did have a 70 yard run last year and he has had some 90+ runs in his career.

I'm still a bit ambivalent about the Ahman Green signing. I'm hoping that he's a monster and a hoss for us and he was one of the most hyped free agent RB's but there's a lot of possibility for a miss with him. They say he looks like he's in great shape so let's hope he returns to the 2003 form.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #16
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Nice highlights, though!
Very true....it will be nice to have someone help out the blind side.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #17
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

he WAS a beast 10 years ago lets see how he does this year. I'd like to see how Taylor comes along. He did great last year. He seemed to be way quicker than his blocks most the time. I think thats why Dayne did so well. He was slow enough that his blocks were there and had enough power to push his blocks through. Once our O line steps up and gets some speed I think that our RB core will be able to get quicker and Chris Taylor will really shine. Untill we get speed on our O line its going to be a big mans running world.
Old 07-27-2007   #18
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't he just turn 30,(just wondering)?From what I've seen and heard of him he is in great shape,and didn't look like he lost that much speed in mini-camp.I think he could rush for 1200 this season,but see Chris Taylor getting most of the carries later in the season.I was really impressed by what I saw from Chris at MC.He's got great speed,size and Kubiak is impressed with him.So I think he will be the future at RB.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #19
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Didn't he just turn 30,(just wondering)?From what I've seen and heard of him he is in great shape,and didn't look like he lost that much speed in mini-camp.I think he could rush for 1200 this season,but see Chris Taylor getting most of the carries later in the season.I was really impressed by what I saw from Chris at MC.He's got great speed,size and Kubiak is impressed with him.So I think he will be the future at RB.
Yes he did. And 30 is a bad time for running backs. I was just looking at it and there have been only like 14 guys who were already 30 when the season began that rushed for more than 1000 yards since 1980. Like 5 of those are Curtis Martin. Look for around 1000 if you ask me. Maybe less. YPC (yards per carry if someone is asleep while reading...) is probably the stat to look for.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #20
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Yes he did. And 30 is a bad time for running backs. I was just looking at it and there have been only like 14 guys who were already 30 when the season began that rushed for more than 1000 yards since 1980. Like 5 of those are Curtis Martin. Look for around 1000 if you ask me. Maybe less. YPC (yards per carry if someone is asleep while reading...) is probably the stat to look for.

Mike
Dude, are you afraid of disappointment?

Cheer your team on, don't keep looking for the negative of everything. If you want to be a negative fan, become a Vikings fan, they are experts at it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read