Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2007   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub takes over Texans team looking for first winning season

Quote:
Schaub takes over Texans team looking for first winning season

By Kristie Rieken, AP Sports Writer

The Texans are relying on a first-time starter at quarterback and a 30-year-old running back to solve their longtime offensive woes.

Matt Schaub and Ahman Green will begin their first season in Houston when the Texans open training camp Friday. The pair joins a team with a defense led by last year's top draft pick Mario Williams, whose development will be a key to Houston's success after a disappointing rookie season.

The Texans hope Schaub and Green invigorate the offense after David Carr managed just two touchdown passes in the last 10 games of 2006.

Schaub has already ingratiated himself to Texans veterans, most notably Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, by spending the spring and summer working out with and getting to know his teammates. Players and coaches alike believe the touted backup can be the leader the team needs but never had in Carr, who was dumped after the Texans posted their fifth straight losing record.

"I've been impressed with the way he handles himself," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's a lot to handle. You go and make a trade like that for a kid and the pressure to come in here and take over this football team is great, but he's handled himself tremendously this offseason. He's been a great worker, very confident kid about his opportunity and what he's fixing to go take on."

Despite finishing 6-10 last season, the Texans have something to build on after winning their final two games for their first consecutive victories since 2004. One of those was a morale-building Christmas Eve win over Indianapolis, the first in franchise history.
Source / Rest of story

It's nothing that we haven't already read before, but it's still nice to see some relatively pos press from an AP writer in a national newspaper like USA Today.
Old 07-25-2007   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub takes over Texans team looking for first winning season

I find it interesting that in all the "expert" analysis of the offseason, Schaub would be great in Atlanta and Green Bay got worse for losing Green.

But the Texans are hanging their hopes on an unproven QB and an over-the-hill RB.

The way I see it, Houston got better at both positions. Hopefully much better.
Old 07-25-2007   #3
Rampage
Rookie

I'm not sold on Schaub, he better be worth the #8 in the draft, and 2 second rounders who could have used to grab a guy like LaMarr Woodly or Justin Blalock.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I'm not sold on Schaub, he better be worth the #8 in the draft, and 2 second rounders who could have used to grab a guy like LaMarr Woodly or Justin Blalock.
What? That's not what we traded for him. We didn't give up a first rounder and 2 second rounders. We traded the 8th for the 10th in the first round and those 2 second rounders AND we got the guy at 10 that we probably would have picked at 8. So, we got the same guy only cheaper. That's basically like we just traded 2 2nd rounders for this guy.

Pointwise, we gave up what amounts to a #20-#21 pick for him. He should be ready to play and most rookie QBs aren't.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I find it interesting that in all the "expert" analysis of the offseason, Schaub would be great in Atlanta and Green Bay got worse for losing Green.

But the Texans are hanging their hopes on an unproven QB and an over-the-hill RB.

The way I see it, Houston got better at both positions. Hopefully much better.
yep, good point!

I believe that Schaub and Green are better than what we had before, so I see them both as default upgrades. Obviously, how good they will be remains to be seen, and we can only speculate at this point. But our HC now has a QB that he chose to run the offense, and he speaks highly of Schaub. I respect Kubiak's opinion, so I see the positives instead of being negative on the unknowns.
Old 07-25-2007   #6
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I know its embarassing to admit through this whole Michael Vick fiasco, but as a former Atlantan, I have followed the Falcons since the Steve Bartkowski & Gerald Riggs days. Even when Vicks hype was through the roof, plenty of us were touting for Matt Schaub. People can throw stats & the fact that he has only played two games all they want. The guy is a leader and I am convinced everyone here will be satisfied with him.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #7
Rampage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
I know its embarassing to admit through this whole Michael Vick fiasco, but as a former Atlantan, I have followed the Falcons since the Steve Bartkowski & Gerald Riggs days. Even when Vicks hype was through the roof, plenty of us were touting for Matt Schaub. People can throw stats & the fact that he has only played two games all they want. The guy is a leader and I am convinced everyone here will be satisfied with him.
Everyone calls on the back-up when the starter starts to stink it up. The last Schaub game in my memory was Week 17, in Lincoln Financial Field. Schaub vs. 2nd and 3rd string Eagle Defenders and getting his ass destroyed, picks, sacks horrible passes, it was a HORRIBLE try-out.

The second I saw that game end, I prayed we didn't make a move for Schaub. He better prove me wrong, he better prove me DAMN wrong.
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everyone calls on the back-up when the starter starts to stink it up. The last Schaub game in my memory was Week 17, in Lincoln Financial Field. Schaub vs. 2nd and 3rd string Eagle Defenders and getting his ass destroyed, picks, sacks horrible passes, it was a HORRIBLE try-out.

The second I saw that game end, I prayed we didn't make a move for Schaub. He better prove me wrong, he better prove me DAMN wrong.

Let's see, he went 15/21 for 175 yards in less than a half of play. Hey, that's more than Carr's average for a full game. He threw a TD and a pick and was sacked twice. One of those sacks was when he stumbled pulling out of center and fell down. If I remember correctly, he was playing from behind when the Eagles knew he was going to be throwing.

He came in for Vick who had gone 8-14 for 81 yards and a TD and had been sacked 3x.

IIRC, the Eagles were playing for a playoff spot.

He looks a helluva lot better than Carr.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #9
real

Quote:

LOL....

I don't even have the strength to argue...
Old 07-25-2007   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
LOL....

I don't even have the strength to argue...
No point in arguing. You would make more headway arguing with a pile of rocks. A dead pile of rocks.
Old 07-25-2007   #11
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Looks like we have our first Schaub hater and he has yet to play a down for us.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #12
Rampage
Rookie

Sorry, but until this guy steps on the field, people need to stop saying he's good. Because he has been garbage every times he's played for the Falcons.
Old 07-25-2007   #13
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Sorry, but until this guy steps on the field, people need to stop saying he's good. Because he has been garbage every times he's played for the Falcons.
Your wrong and over generalizing at the same time. Just like my wife. I forget to take out the garbage one time and she says I never take out the garbage. Yes. I'm saying your being less than truthful.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #14
Rampage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Your wrong and over generalizing.
Prove me wrong. Let's see kitty cat.
Old 07-25-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Atlanta Passing
C/ATT YDS TD INT
Schaub 18/34 298 3 0

Yep every time he has been on the field he has been terrible.
Old 07-25-2007   #16
Rampage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Atlanta Passing
C/ATT YDS TD INT
Schaub 18/34 298 3 0

Yep every time he has been on the field he has been terrible.
Was that his game against a Patriots secondary that was among the worst in the NFL? Was that also the game that Vick was scheduled to start and at the last minute Schaub was thrown into the line-up without the Pats having any substantial tape on him or game planned for him?
Old 07-25-2007   #17
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Prove me wrong. Let's see kitty cat.
Well Canuck. If I had a way to post his entire starts against the Sea Chickens and the Patriots on You Tube, you would have egg on your face.

But here is a snippet anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0
Old 07-25-2007   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Was that his game against a Patriots secondary that was among the worst in the NFL? Was that also the game that Vick was scheduled to start and at the last minute Schaub was thrown into the line-up without the Pats having any substantial tape on him or game planned for him?
You're not trying to crawfish are you Canuck? The man proves you wrong and now your trying to dispell his proof. Come on. The crow is fine. Eat up!

The fact of the matter is. You said "every times" Matt Schaub has played he stunk up the joint. You have been proven wrong. Eat up.
Old 07-25-2007   #19
Rampage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Well Canuck. If I had a way to post his entire starts against the Sea Chickens and the Patriots on You Tube, you would have egg on your face.

But here is a snippet anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0
Hmm, I'm glad you have a life Mr.Pussycat
Old 07-25-2007   #20
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Making friends fast, Rampage.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read