Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-23-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default USATODAY says Montana NFLs best in last 25 years

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-25-series.htm
Montana produced some of the most memorable plays in NFL playoff history. In the 1981 NFC title game, he lifted the 49ers to their first Super Bowl by leading a legendary 89-yard, fourth-quarter drive that ended in a 6-yard high, floating touchdown pass to Dwight Clark a play that became known simply as "The Catch." It gave San Francisco a 28-27 defeat of Dallas. Seven years later, Montana engineered a 92-yard drive against the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII that ended with his 10-yard strike to John Taylor in the end zone with 34 seconds left that beat Cincinnati 20-16.
"The Catch" may be the most overrated football play I've ever seen, and IMO no way Montana was better than Elway, who not only had a better arm and was a better runner than Montana, but was also just as great in the clutch.
Montana's biggest asset was playing in the very high profile SF Bay Area vs the relative hinterlands of the rocky mountain front range where Elway spent his whole career.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USATODAY says Montana NFLs best in last 25 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Montana produced some of the most memorable plays in NFL playoff history. In the 1981 NFC title game, he lifted the 49ers to their first Super Bowl by leading a legendary 89-yard, fourth-quarter drive that ended in a 6-yard high, floating touchdown pass to Dwight Clark a play that became known simply as "The Catch." It gave San Francisco a 28-27 defeat of Dallas. Seven years later, Montana engineered a 92-yard drive against the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII that ended with his 10-yard strike to John Taylor in the end zone with 34 seconds left that beat Cincinnati 20-16.
"The Catch" may be the most overrated football play I've ever seen, and IMO no way Montana was better than Elway, who not only had a better arm and was a better runner than Montana, but was also just as great in the clutch.
Montana's biggest asset was playing in the very high profile SF Bay Area vs the relative hinterlands of the rocky mountain front range where Elway spent his whole career.
At the end of the day, Joe owns scoreboard... end of discussion.
Old 07-23-2007   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Well, DUH...this is Montana we're talking about. Of course he's the best in the last 25 years! Nobody else compares. NOBODY.

Can you tell I'm a Montana fan?
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #4
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Elway actually stunk it up at times in big games early in his career. His first two SB appearances weren't exactly memorable. Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of the guy, but he wasn't the clutch performer early on that he was later in his career.

Montana deservedly is regarded as the best "big game" QB in history. Who'd you rather have with the game on the line? I can't think of anyone, including a guy playing in Pats' blue right now.
Old 07-23-2007   #5
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Call me crazy but I'll still take Elway....Joe was great and would be #2 on my list, but he played with a guy by the name of Jerry Rice for the majority of his career....Elway ended up being a clutch performer also..... combine that with his running ability and he gets the edge in my book.

Quote:
agreed.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #6
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

I'm sorry, but Brady isn't a top 10 player of all time........he just isn't....his "big game" heroics are overrated and he's not on the level of Favre on Marino.

EDIT

And where's the love for Chris Carter?????..........Chris will always be my favorite receiver to play the game and if not for playing the same era with Jerry (who was better) he'd get a lot more recognition.

EDIT

I just had to come back and talk about Brady some more....seriously he has never had a game winning drive in a big game that I can think of....Vinaterri had to bang in 2 long FGs against the Rams and Panthers, but somehow Tom got all the credit......the guy has benefitted from playing with stacked talent on both ends of the ball (especially the defensive end) and a coach who is a master mind when it comes to exploiting teams weaknesses.....Tom Brady wouldn't even make my top 25 of this era.

EDIT

Earl Cambell > Tom Brady

Last edited by The Dream; 07-23-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-23-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats View Post
Montana deservedly is regarded as the best "big game" QB in history.
The most common defintion of a "big game" of course is the SB, and that's usually how most people rate Montana as better: he was on the winning team
4 times vs. Elways 2 games. Give Elway the teams Monatana played with and
Montana Elway's teammates and I'd suspect the score would have been 5 or 6 to 1 or maybe 0 in favor of Elway. Can you imagine Elway with Jerry Rice as his receiver, who of course is the very player that USAToday ranked #2 in the last 25 years ? Elway never played with that kind of talent.
Elway made throws, runs, plays by himself that Montana could only dream about and was clearly a vastly more talented football player.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2007   #8
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The most common defintion of a "big game" of course is the SB, and that's usually how most people rate Montana as better: he was on the winning team
Montana Elway's teammates and I'd suspect the score would have been 5 or 6 to 1 or maybe 0 in favor of Elway. Can you imagine Elway with Jerry Rice as his receiver, who of course is the very player that USAToday ranked #2 in the last 25 years ? Elway never played with that kind of talent.
Elway made throws, runs, plays by himself that Montana could only dream about and was clearly a vastly more talented football player.
CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!

EDIT

I'm a big Emmitt fan, but similar to Montana he always had great talent around him...............Barry Sanders > Emmit.........and Barry > Brady x 1,000,000

EDIT

They forgot a man by the name of Tim Brown also.
Old 07-23-2007   #9
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately I was able to witness Elway beating the Oilers, first hand at Mile High in 91 and 92.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #10
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Pre back surgery Montana for sure. If you put Montana's best versus Steve Young's best I would take Young, IMO. Close though.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #11
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Unfortunately I was able to witness Elway beating the Oilers, first hand at Mile High in 91 and 92.
Yeah screw Elway.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
At the end of the day, Joe owns scoreboard... end of discussion.
yep.

Quote:
Take the 1989 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals. The San Francisco 49ers were down by three points with 3:20 left when Montana spotted -- no, not an open receiver -- but a personality. "There, in the stands, standing near the exit ramp," Montana said to tackle Harris Barton. "Isn't that John Candy?" And then he led the 49ers 92 yards, throwing for the winning touchdown with 34 seconds left.

This was one of Montana's 31 fourth-quarters comeback in the NFL.

-------------------------------------

Montana won four Super Bowls in four appearances and became the only player to earn the Roman numeral game's MVP three times (and the other contest was the game-winning drive).

In these four games, he put up Super numbers, completing 83-of-122 passes (68 percent) for 1,142 yards with 11 touchdowns and no interceptions. His knows how to compute this rating, or even what it means, it is known that 127.8 is a figure beyond that of mortal men).

Source
FOUR Super Bowls and not even one INT?!

(By comparison, Elway threw 8 INTs in five Super Bowl appearances. And I'm not doggin' Elway, as he's in my top 5 greatest QBs list.)
Old 07-23-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Both great QBs...I'd take either to run my offense. I wouldn't cry about not getting one over the other...simple as that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #14
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

cool joe > elway
Old 07-23-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Both great QBs...I'd take either to run my offense. I wouldn't cry about not getting one over the other...simple as that.
Was it

Chiefs vs Broncos on a monday night game where the score kept going back and forth and each had a lead changing score late in the 4th quarter?

Last edited by Specnatz; 07-23-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #16
Immobilarity
Made You Look

Rep Power: 16 Immobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden cover

I'll have to take Montana for the sole reason that he is the last great QB that will come out of Notre Dame.
Old 07-23-2007   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not dogging Montana, but yes "The Catch" is the most overrated thing I have seen ... Danny white drove them down (and fumbled dang it)and drew Person , if a step faster would have been gone for a TD and Dallas wins... heck next season after '81 they didn't even make the playoffs.

anyway I am not dogging the forty niners, they had great teams in the '80's , I am dogging "The Catch" and the only reason is media makes it seem like it was the last play of the game..

Want to talk about "The Catch" (well not to John Madden) ..franco harris and his "catch"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
agreed
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #19
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I don't know man, Elway played on some pretty damn good Denver teams. It wasn't until they got TD and had some balance that they finally won "the big one," but it's not like Elway's wideouts were scrap-pile rejects.

I agree that PHYSICALLY - in terms of mobility, arm strength, athleticism, etc - Elway was superior to Montana. And BOTH guys are top five all-time, IMO. But personally I'd just have Montana a little higher because of the "scoreboard factor," like everyone else said.
Old 07-24-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immobilarity View Post
I'll have to take Montana for the sole reason that he is the last great QB that will come out of Notre Dame.
What... ?? No Rick Mirer???!?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read