Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-20-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Searches China for Its Own Yao Ming

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=12060894

Quote:
All Things Considered, July 19, 2007 Call it "the Yao Ming effect." Following the success of the basketball giant in bringing millions of Chinese viewers to NBA games, talent scouts are scouring China for the next homegrown sports star to open up the world's largest consumer market.

But for the NFL, it's an uphill battle. The league has launched an NFL China Web site, but the inaugural China Bowl, a preseason game between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks that was scheduled for August in Beijing, has been delayed for two years.

"We looked at our market here in China, and we weren't ready at this point," said Kevin Chang, the NFL's international media manager. "The fans ... didn't have enough awareness, didn't know enough about our sport to really become really hyped up and involved for the NFL China Bowl."
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #2
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Searches China for Its Own Yao Ming

Great. The NFL really needs a physically soft, over-rated and passive player too.
Old 07-20-2007   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Great. The NFL really needs a physically soft, over-rated and passive player too.
The Texans already had one...and David Carr isn't even Chinese.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #4
real

ha..
Old 07-20-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you are implying that yao ming is any of those, I suggest you watch 1 basketball game and then return here.

If you are suggesting that all Chinese are all of those, I suggest you take a step back and try and realize how ignorant trying to stereotype billions of people is
Old 07-20-2007   #6
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If you are implying that yao ming is any of those, I suggest you watch 1 basketball game and then return here.

If you are suggesting that all Chinese are all of those, I suggest you take a step back and try and realize how ignorant trying to stereotype billions of people is
Well I've never seen a 7'5 center get dunked on with so much regularity. I've never seen a 7'5 center get boxed out with so much regularity. I'm not suggesting a Chinese can't play, but if he was the best they had too offer I can only hope that they produce someone better. And don't say "But he has a nice shot. He's a center he should control the paint. That's like saying Reggie Bush is a great receiver, problem is he's supposed to be a running back. I'm saying Yao is terrible, but he ain't all that.
Old 07-20-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I've never seen a 7'5 center get dunked on with so much regularity.
I guess you never watched Chuck Nevitt???
Old 07-20-2007   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

If getting dunked on is the way of measuring how good someone is, no wonder the NBA is going to be in shambles. Sportscenter has killed the NBA (refs getting caught in gambling ring doesn't help either).
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Well I've never seen a 7'5 center get dunked on with so much regularity. I've never seen a 7'5 center get boxed out with so much regularity. I'm not suggesting a Chinese can't play, but if he was the best they had too offer I can only hope that they produce someone better. And don't say "But he has a nice shot. He's a center he should control the paint. That's like saying Reggie Bush is a great receiver, problem is he's supposed to be a running back. I'm saying Yao is terrible, but he ain't all that.
Getting Dunked on and boxed out is how you judge how valuable a player is ?

lol....

Nevermind the fact that he's one of the most efficient scorer's in the leauge and his mere presence on defense keeps opposing offenses from having their way in the lane...

Let's just call him sorry because he's been the victim of some sports center highlights...

I suppose you'd rather have a guy like Eric Dampier...Or maybe even a Ben Wallace...
Old 07-20-2007   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Texans already had one...and David Carr isn't even Chinese.

lol

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #11
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I guess you never watched Chuck Nevitt???
Was he a Number 1 overall pick too? Didn't think so.
Old 07-20-2007   #12
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Getting Dunked on and boxed out is how you judge how valuable a player is ?

lol....

Nevermind the fact that he's one of the most efficient scorer's in the leauge and his mere presence on defense keeps opposing offenses from having their way in the lane...

Let's just call him sorry because he's been the victim of some sports center highlights...

I suppose you'd rather have a guy like Eric Dampier...Or maybe even a Ben Wallace...
Yao does not dominate the paint. I don't see it. I don't want Dampier, but it looks like a guy like Boozer can handle this "dominant" force with relative ease.
Old 07-20-2007   #13
real

Quote:
Yao does not dominate the paint. I don't see it. I don't want Dampier, but it looks like a guy like Boozer can handle this "dominant" force with relative ease.
No Yao doesn't dominate the paint...

But he's not a total beotch in the paint either...

He's either the 1st or 2nd best center in the leauge depending on your cup-o-tea....

And Boozer is a really good player but he cannot guard Yao one on one.
Old 07-20-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Was he a Number 1 overall pick too? Didn't think so.
I just responded to your question. Your question didnt ask about being a #1.
Old 07-20-2007   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude Yao is the best center in the league today, get off of it...... You want to talk about soft. See the entire eastern conference.... thats soft.

BTW...Yao pulled down the same amount of boards as Wallace, he's a 25 and 10 player, go look how many of those play in this league and get back with me.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-20-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yao is overrated. He is not a dominant player, like centers should be. He cannot take over a game, on offense or defense.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Dude Yao is the best center in the league today, get off of it...... You want to talk about soft. See the entire eastern conference.... thats soft.

BTW...Yao pulled down the same amount of boards as Wallace, he's a 25 and 10 player, go look how many of those play in this league and get back with me.
there you go again...trying to inject logic into this. whatsamotta you?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

25 and 10 is not overrated....... go look how many of those there are.

People that say Yao is overrated don't know anything about basketball and just don't realize what they've got.
Old 07-20-2007   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Dude Yao is the best center in the league today, get off of it.......
I don't go as far as chicagotexan in my disdain for Yao, but this argument is really damning with faint praise. Yao is probably the best center in the NBA (especially pre-injury last year), but that's kind of like being the best-behaved kid in detention. There aren't many solid centers anymore.

Yao disappears when he shouldn't and plays soft when he shouldn't. Yeah, he gets his points and rebounds, but hey, Carr led the league in pass completion percentage. Yay. And Yao sucks at rebounding, really, when you consider how big he is and where he plays.

All that said, I like Yao, and I think he will continue to improve and dispel some of these arguments against him. He's a lot better than chicagotexan gives him credit for, IMO.
Old 07-20-2007   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't go as far as chicagotexan in my disdain for Yao, but this argument is really damning with faint praise. Yao is probably the best center in the NBA (especially pre-injury last year), but that's kind of like being the best-behaved kid in detention. There aren't many solid centers anymore.

Yao disappears when he shouldn't and plays soft when he shouldn't. Yeah, he gets his points and rebounds, but hey, Carr led the league in pass completion percentage. Yay. And Yao sucks at rebounding, really, when you consider how big he is and where he plays.

All that said, I like Yao, and I think he will continue to improve and dispel some of these arguments against him. He's a lot better than chicagotexan gives him credit for, IMO.
Yao is not the greatest rebounder and he doesn't have the footspeed to be a great defender. Everybody likes to bash the guy and say "for a 7'5 guy, he isn't this, or for a 7'5 guy he isn't that, or he's soft."

When in reality Yao's size makes him clumsy, he would actually be a much better defender and rebounder if he was like 3 or 4 inches shorter, because he would be able to MOVE.

Another thing that has hurt Yao is the lack of a banger PF to keep big bodies off Yao. Yao gets beat up in the paint, because again there is no PF presence on the team. (atleast last year there wasn't) Even the great Olajuwon had Otis Thorpe. (no I'm not comparing Yao to Olajuwon, just saying many people don't realize how much not having a PF really is hampering Yao. A good PF is a Center's best friend. It keeps big bodies off of him, making him a better defender, and keeps him out of foul trouble.)

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-20-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read