Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fox sports:football outsiders:ranking the WR's

Quote:
25. Houston (22)

Another of the "How valuable can one player be" teams; Andre Johnson's 2006 consisted of him running eight-yard patterns and hoping David Carr was upright by the time he made his break. That's just not fair. Johnson's a championship-caliber lead wideout stuck with a band of misfits and miscreants. As pedestrian as Eric Moulds was last year, his departure has yet to be met with any significant replacement; Matt Schaub will help, but Johnson may find the going even harder this year. Oh, and the Texans tight ends? Let's just say they're not helping the quarterback-staying-upright problem.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...40813162&ATT=5
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox sports:football outsiders:ranking the WR's

Compare and contrast:

Quote:
1. Dallas (1)

After six weeks of Drew Bledsoe, the Cowboys' receivers were struggling. While Terry Glenn had a very respectable 16.8 percent DVOA, Terrell Owens was at a woeful -7.7 percent, and Patrick Crayton (the likely third or fourth target on most plays) had only been thrown 12 passes in six weeks because Bledsoe couldn't stay upright long enough to find him. Even Jason Witten's 17.0 percent DVOA had him at a mediocre 13th amongst tight ends.

By the end of the year, Glenn's DVOA had improved to 20.4 percent, while Owens got all the way up to 12.2 percent. Crayton got 36 more attempts in the final 10 games and was the best third receiver in football. Witten's DVOA went up to 19.1 percent, seventh amongst all tight ends. The point: Having an even competent quarterback can be the difference between a group of receivers struggling, or being amongst the league's elite. While Owens and Glenn are getting up there in age, both have yet to show an appreciable level of decline in their metrics, and Owens will likely see an improved catch rate after healing his finger injury. Crayton remains one of the unsung threats in the league, and Witten, the best tight end in a division full of them. A team's top four receivers will see 65-70 percent of all the throws made by a quarterback over the course of a season; one through four, no one's better than the Cowboys.

I do not include this quote because I am a closet Cowboy fan or otherwise trying to muck up the Bull Pen with off topic talk. (please stay on point)

I include this quote because it illustrates a crucial point. That an offensive line that looks like velveeta and #2 receivers being MIA can change with better decision making from the QB position.

I am not saying that the Texans players are similar to the Cowboys, or that Schaub will be able to turn everything instantly around because those wouldn't be terribly factual statements based on what I have evidence for. I have no earthly idea what the Texans will look like next year at all. What I know pretty factually about the team (Andre Johnson is a damn good receiver), is out weighed by what I don't know (gee, how is the rest of the offense going to look like next year--they could be scary good or just scary).

But maybe had the Cowboys not reluctantly made the QB change mid-season, this year's Cowboy report might have read:

Quote:
Another of the "How valuable can one player be" teams; Terry Glenn's 2006 consisted of him running eight-yard patterns and hoping Drew Bledsoe was upright by the time he made his break. That's just not fair. Glenn's a championship-caliber lead wideout stuck with a band of misfits and miscreants. As pedestrian as Terrell Owens was last year, his disgruntled departure has yet to be met with any significant replacement; Tony Romo will help, but Glenn may find the going even harder this year. Oh, and the Cowboy tight ends? Let's just say they're not helping the quarterback-staying-upright problem.

Old 07-19-2007   #3
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

It's an interesting comparison, considering the Cowpokes went to a more mobile QB and we're going to a less mobile one, yet the goal is the same - to have a QB who'll get rid of the ball before being sacked (without resorting to dumpoffs).

And a bad QB can make good receivers look not as good, but...Ravens ahead of Cardinals? Raiders ahead of us?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
It's an interesting comparison, considering the Cowpokes went to a more mobile QB and we're going to a less mobile one, yet the goal is the same - to have a QB who'll get rid of the ball before being sacked (without resorting to dumpoffs).

And a bad QB can make good receivers look not as good, but...Ravens ahead of Cardinals? Raiders ahead of us?
Well, we've had this discussion on this board before but there's "mobility" and there's "mobility". Carr is like Rob Johnson. Both were supposed to be "mobile" because they're athletic. But neither of them were good at using that athleticism to avoid sacks. Schaub is supposed to be less athletic and less mobile but the clips from Atlanta show him throwing on the run, scrambling, working the pocket, and looking very comfortable doing it. So, I don't buy this whole "Schaub is just a statue" thing that some people are putting out there.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #5
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Compare and contrast:

I do not include this quote because I am a closet Cowboy fan or otherwise trying to muck up the Bull Pen with off topic talk. (please stay on point)

I include this quote because it illustrates a crucial point. That an offensive line that looks like velveeta and #2 receivers being MIA can change with better decision making from the QB position.

I am not saying that the Texans players are similar to the Cowboys, or that Schaub will be able to turn everything instantly around because those wouldn't be terribly factual statements based on what I have evidence for. I have no earthly idea what the Texans will look like next year at all. What I know pretty factually about the team (Andre Johnson is a damn good receiver), is out weighed by what I don't know (gee, how is the rest of the offense going to look like next year--they could be scary good or just scary).
Bit of a difference with the Boys. They moved from a statue to a young guy who can move both in the pocket and around it. Bledsoe is famous for not handling pressure up the middle at all. I'm as high as anyone on Schaub. Just figured I should mention that. I'm not taking away from Schaub's decision making (which had better be better than DC's). He's not as mobile though but that in this case may help the line since they don't have to block for a mobile guy. I don't know just thought I'd mention it.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm tired of all these polls/rankings they mean NOTHING

the Texans are at least a top 20 team, they've done more to improve than all but a handful of teams, they drafted well & made the big franchise QB move I just don't see how the so called experts could be so clueless. I'm ready for the season to begin now

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #7
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes DC lead the AFC in rushing yards for a QB a few years, but that didn't help him make good reads. Atlanta didn't change the offense when Schaub came in. They didn't all of a sudden go "Darn we gotta put the statue in. Let's take out all the QB run plays."

Vonta will help the passing game by picking up the blitz. Daniels is still learning and going into his 2nd season where the "experts" say players make their biggest leaps forward.

Do I think we need a legit #2 WR? Sure I do. That player may be on the team now. I don't know, but with a QB that makes better decisions, we may find out soon.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2007   #8
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

This is from the article by Fox Sports in this thread.

Quote:
Oh, and the Texans tight ends? Let's just say they're not helping the quarterback-staying-upright problem.
This quote is from the Fox Sports Strategy and Team thread.

Quote:
Owen Daniels was critical in the offense through the first half of last season. He proved to be an every-down type of tight end. He was an effective blocker and also showed good speed and great hands.
You choose which one you want to believe. I'll believe the 2nd one.

Old 07-20-2007   #9
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

the Texans are at least a top 20 team, they've done more to improve than all but a handful of teams, they drafted well & made the big franchise QB move I just don't see how the so called experts could be so clueless. I'm ready for the season to begin now
Beer, I just have to take issue with a couple of your statements. I believe to say we drafted well is a big reach because our #1 pick is a smallish DT who is also the youngest player ever drafted #1 at his position which historically takes several years to mature into anyway. We had no #2. Our #3 was an unknown receiver from a small college who had one good all-star game. And the rest of the draft is what it is, later round picks.

As for Schaub, we all hope he will be but, to call him a franchise QB is a huge reach when he's only started 3 games, won none, and thrown as many ints as tds.

Of course, we all want them all to be all-pro, there just isn't any evidence to show that is going to happen at this point.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
This is from the article by Fox Sports in this thread.

This quote is from the Fox Sports Strategy and Team thread.

You choose which one you want to believe. I'll believe the 2nd one.

I'm going with option "B", thank you very much!!!
Old 07-20-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Well beerlover ,
Like the Yogi Said it's too coincidental to be a coincidence. You got the twenty eigth ranked team overall and when the experts start shaking the tree and examining all of our players and thier positions, they get ranked in the bottom of the pack, tells me there might be a little linkage there between quality of play and the quality of the tallent. Call me crazy ....but it might just be true. Like I said last month, we 're off the NFL radar . They should sneak up on a couple of 'em the first three or four.
Old 07-20-2007   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Bit of a difference with the Boys. They moved from a statue to a young guy who can move both in the pocket and around it. Bledsoe is famous for not handling pressure up the middle at all. I'm as high as anyone on Schaub. Just figured I should mention that. I'm not taking away from Schaub's decision making (which had better be better than DC's). He's not as mobile though but that in this case may help the line since they don't have to block for a mobile guy. I don't know just thought I'd mention it.

Mike
Mobility is what makes a QB good.

Signed,

Michael Vick

Co-signed,

Peyton Manning & Tom Brady
Old 07-20-2007   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Ranking Dallas #1 shows to me they guy has no clue. I thought two led the league in dropped passes last year? I am not saying they are bottom of the league but #1, maybe I just do not know what good recievers are. I guess I do not know as much as I thought I did when it came to ranking a teams wr, even after reading the rankings chart. I mean it did list catch rate, so I thought would have to include dropped passes?

If I am wrong can someone please explain it to me.
Old 07-20-2007   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

My personal favorite WR group is Arizona's. Boldin reminds me alot of AJ. I'm really hoping the Cards make a run this year.

The obvious choice would be the Colts at #1

With this article choosing Dallas having the #1 WR group obviously makes me think whoever wrote it has a woody for TO.
Old 07-20-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
My personal favorite WR group is Arizona's. Boldin reminds me alot of AJ. I'm really hoping the Cards make a run this year.

The obvious choice would be the Colts at #1

With this article choosing Dallas having the #1 WR group obviously makes me think whoever wrote it has a woody for TO.
Yeah I really like their draft and wouldn't be surprised if either they or Frisco, (I liked thier draft also) makes a nice run in the west. Gonning to be, judged on paper, a nice race to keep up with.

Look you're not going to put MS on the edge one one one with a DE. Kubes isn't going to do that with a guy who is slow footed. Now I don't know what he'll replace the waggle with, but he ain't going to run as much as he did with DC. You can book that. He isn't going to get his new toy killed right off the bat. They may run it but it isn't going to be run six to eight times a quarter. You believe anyting, you can believe that. I'm sure Kubes has plenty of stuff in the book to find a suitable repalcemant.
Old 07-20-2007   #16
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Our #3 was an unknown receiver from a small college who had one good all-star game. And the rest of the draft is what it is, later round picks.

He also lead his conference in all purpose yards.

I'm at work so I don't have all my links here or I would show that he did more than just have one good all-star game.

Old 07-20-2007   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Look you're not going to put MS on the edge one one one with a DE. Kubes isn't going to do that with a guy who is slow footed. Now I don't know what he'll replace the waggle with, but he ain't going to run as much as he did with DC. You can book that. He isn't going to get his new toy killed right off the bat. They may run it but it isn't going to be run six to eight times a quarter. You believe anyting, you can believe that. I'm sure Kubes has plenty of stuff in the book to find a suitable repalcemant.
Well, I think you'll see more roll outs with MS. He's better at it than DC is. Running the rollout isn't about how fast you can sprint, it's about how well you read the DE and make decisions. I think this is where a lot of people are making a mistake about MS's "lack of mobility." If your QB is in a foot race with the DE, it's because the play went wrong and frequently, that's because of a mistake by the QB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #18
real

If I'm not mistaken the waggle is run without the pulling guard and the boot is with the pulling guard...
Old 07-20-2007   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
If I'm not mistaken the waggle is run without the pulling guard and the boot is with the pulling guard...
You are mistaken
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You are mistaken
I was.

But technically you can't really say that because there are many different ways to run it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read