Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default CBS:training camp battle Maddox vs. Johnson

Quote:

Training camps: AFC South position battles

Pete Prisco July 19, 2007
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Houston Texans

Anthony Maddox vs. Travis Johnson, defensive tackle

Johnson is a former first-round pick who hasn't lived up to the expectations. Maddox was picked up on waivers from the Jaguars and played well late last season after taking over as a starter. With rookie Amobi Okoye scheduled to start at one tackle, these two will fight it out for the other spot.

Edge: Maddox. It's his job to lose.

Opening-day starter: Maddox. He seems hungry and those types of players usually don't lose their jobs.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10257184/rss

Last edited by Wolf; 07-19-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CBS:training camp battle Maddox vs. Johnson

There's no battle. It's Maddox job to lose.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #3
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Maddox is a good blue-collar worker who knows how to play DL. It will take an above average player to take his place.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be surprised if TJ even makes it out of training camp as a Texan. He's got bust written all over his career, IMO.
Old 07-20-2007   #5
real

Well....

Looks like I'm alone in my thoughts, but I think Travis Johnson is a good DT...
Old 07-20-2007   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Well....

I'm trying to fathom what else the acronym DT might stand for, because it sure ain't Defensive Tackle!
Old 07-20-2007   #7
real

Before TJ got hurt last year he was playing very well IMHO...

He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but the guy gets decent pressure from the DT spot and he has enough mobility to make plays down the line...

I actually like TJ and hope he makes the team...
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well....

I have no issue with TJ being a good DT. My issue with TJ is that he is a good rotaional back up DT making #19 first round money. It's not his fault that the people who judged his tallents were, over expectant in their evauation of them. Whatever he was supossed to have as a first rounder...he ain't got it. I hope he makes the team too. But, I have no illusions that we've seen TJ hit his NFL production apex. He is what he is. A rotation guy, not a front line NFL DT.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-20-2007 at 11:31 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well....

based on what? I tape most of the games and the only real thing that sticks out to me is that he gets pushed around most of the time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
based on what? I tape most of the games and the only real thing that sticks out to me is that he gets pushed around most of the time.
Well b4 he got hurt last year I liked his activity down there...

I don't know anything about him being pushed around "most of the time", but the TJ I saw last year was pretty active and an active 3 tech is a good thing...

I remember a few times he made plays on the ball carrier down the line and I also remember him getting some good pressure...

I record the games too....I haven't watched any of them for a few month though so this is from memory, but I think TJ easily makes the team and is in the rotation...

No he isn't first round worthy, but I don't think he's terrible like some say...
Old 07-20-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I have no issue with TJ being a good DT. My issue with TJ is that he is a good rotaional back up DT making #19 first round money. It's not his fault that the people who judged his tallents were, over expectant in their evauation of them. Whatever he was supossed to have as a first rounder...he ain't got it. I hope he makes the team too. But, I have no illusions that we've seen TJ hit his NFL production apex. He is what he is. A rotaiion guy not a front line NFL DT.
I agree with ya.
Old 07-20-2007   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before TJ got hurt last year he was playing very well IMHO...

He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but the guy gets decent pressure from the DT spot and he has enough mobility to make plays down the line...

I actually like TJ and hope he makes the team...
I realize stats don't tell the whole story, but 8 solo tackles and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't equate to good play.

I wish the best for him due to the fact he's a Texan, but to date he's been a bust.

Old 07-20-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

no way he makes the team "easily"...or we wouldn't have felt the need to use our top 10 draft pick on a DT. Most of the plays you see him make are away from him...when run right at he is not a good player.....he has some footspeed so he is decent in pursuit...but all that adds up to a scrub at the end of the day when that is all you bring to the table.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I realize stats don't tell the whole story, but 8 solo tackles and 3 assists in 9 games doesn't equate to good play.

I wish the best for him due to the fact he's a Texan, but to date he's been a bust.

I won't say I totally ignore stats, but If I see with my eyes a player that is playing pretty well I'll disregard them..

That's about a tackle a game which is the same thing ND Kalu did...as a DE...

He started 8 of his 9 games last year which means A) he was the best at his position B) The Texans didn't really care and threw anyone out there

Which is it ?
Old 07-20-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
no way he makes the team "easily"...or we wouldn't have felt the need to use our top 10 draft pick on a DT. Most of the plays you see him make are away from him...when run right at he is not a good player.....he has some footspeed so he is decent in pursuit...but all that adds up to a scrub at the end of the day when that is all you bring to the table.

Well we'll just have to wait and see...

I really would hate to see him get cut because I like activity among the D-line and I think he brings activity...

Do I want him to start ? No...but if we're going to have to pay him anyway I'd like to atleast use him as a rotational player...I think he can provide some good relief for both DT positions...JMO
Old 07-20-2007   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we'll just have to wait and see...

I really would hate to see him get cut because I like activity among the D-line and I think he brings activity...

Do I want him to start ? No...but if we're going to have to pay him anyway I'd like to atleast use him as a rotational player...I think he can provide some good relief for both DT positions...JMO
I would rather see Zgonina in the game for rotation. Maddox is the guy, though.
Old 07-20-2007   #17
real

I don't even know if I want Zgonia on the roster or not...

I really don't know anything about him other than he's an old pro...

And he looks to be in really good shape...
Old 07-20-2007   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I desperately wanted to see TJ prove to the world that the move down to get him was a good idea. It hasn't happened and so now more than ever when I look at TJ all I do is see the linebacker that we don't have.

TJ is "quality depth" when he feels like putting forth the effort. We have routinely found street free agents that can outplay TJ and for that we wasted a chance to draft Derrick Johnson. He'll be one of the last major mistakes to be shown the door simply because people hate to admit to screwing the pooch on a 1. Make no mistake though, he will be shown the door.
Old 07-20-2007   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I won't say I totally ignore stats, but If I see with my eyes a player that is playing pretty well I'll disregard them..

That's about a tackle a game which is the same thing ND Kalu did...as a DE...

He started 8 of his 9 games last year which means A) he was the best at his position B) The Texans didn't really care and threw anyone out there

Which is it ?
Comparing him to ND Kalu?? Kalu was a 5th round pick and has been a mediocre but solid player ever since. Comparing him to Kalu is all but admitting TJ is a 1st round bust.

I think he'll be in the rotation this year as well, undeservingly.

C) Only DT on the roster at the time worthy of starting.

Old 07-20-2007   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I desperately wanted to see TJ prove to the world that the move down to get him was a good idea. It hasn't happened and so now more than ever when I look at TJ all I do is see the linebacker that we don't have.

TJ is "quality depth" when he feels like putting forth the effort. We have routinely found street free agents that can outplay TJ and for that we wasted a chance to draft Derrick Johnson. He'll be one of the last major mistakes to be shown the door simply because people hate to admit to screwing the pooch on a 1. Make no mistake though, he will be shown the door.
you lament Derrick Johnson I lament Jammal Brown (must be Levi Brown's older brother ). otherwise thats a pretty forgetable draft (2005)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read