Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2007   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN: Schaub doesn't solve all of Houston's problems

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...eff&id=2939302

Quote:
1. Who is going to help Matt Schaub?

I realize the Houston Texans love their new quarterback. I also understand that he has a nice target in Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson.

But one of the big questions surrounding the Texans -- aside from the annual concerns about their shaky offensive line -- has to be the uncertainty in the rest of their passing attack. I keep hearing that wide receiver Kevin Walter is supposed to be the man who takes the pressure off Johnson and becomes a reliable weapon for the Texans.

In fact, one team source says that coaches compare him favorably to former Broncos wide receiver Ed McCaffrey, a key cog in Denver's success in the late 1990s, when current Texans coach Gary Kubiak was Denver's offensive coordinator.

Now there are obvious similarities. McCaffrey bounced around as a reserve receiver early in his career before blossoming in Denver, while Walter is now in his second year in Houston after being a backup in Cincinnati for three years. Like McCaffrey, Walter also is a sturdy possession receiver with excellent size (6-foot-3, 215 pounds). But I'm skeptical of how this will play out. The Texans have spent the last four years trying to find a decent complement to Johnson and the best they could do was an over-the-hill Eric Moulds. I don't see Walter changing that pattern this season.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #2
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN: Schaub doesn't solve all of Houston's problems

I guess No one wants to mention how much a decent rushing attack will help. I'm not saying Ahman Green is an end all but he brings a legit presence in the backfield that will help on play action. I think that'll help keep teams honest on coverage as for who'll help AJ...TC will help deceide that.

Also no mention of Owen Daneils who could develop more and Putzer as well over the middle.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Right, no mention of OD who will be a great safety valve for Schaub.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #4
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Right, no mention of OD who will be a great safety valve for Schaub.
I'll be stashing Walter away on several fantasy rosters this season.
Old 07-18-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I guess No one wants to mention how much a decent rushing attack will help. I'm not saying Ahman Green is an end all but he brings a legit presence in the backfield that will help on play action. I think that'll help keep teams honest on coverage as for who'll help AJ...TC will help deceide that.

Also no mention of Owen Daneils who could develop more and Putzer as well over the middle.
I agree with you here Silence, and he's also a legit threat catching balls out of the backfield.

So, in the passing game the #2 is a ? mark, but you still have AJ, OD and AG.... Not too bad and not all is lost. I would prefer having a legit #2 and maybe Walters fits the role.... TBD.
Old 07-18-2007   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

Agreed. This is supposed to be a run-first offense. Green/Dayne destroying the defensive line is supposed to open up the pass offense, and should do it well. I don't think the Texans are looking at all for three great receivers. They have AJ to throw to, but safety valves (great term) in Daniels and Walter. Green is a catching running back, too, which reminds me of the years when DD ran and caught for the Texans.

However, the problem Matt Schaub does not solve is the left tackle. If the left tackle cannot prevent the defense from bullrushing into the Texans' backfield, all this is useless. Also, the Texans have huge gaps in the defensive secondary, which Matt can't do much with. Sure, a good offense eats up the clock, but I expect most of that offensive clock-eating to be done on the legs of running backs.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I am just happy the article did not bash the Texans. It only just asked the same questions we have all asked.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2007   #8
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I'll be stashing Walter away on several fantasy rosters this season.
HK, can I count on you to spend a 2nd rounder on KW? j/k
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Matt will only help some but I don't know about our O line
Old 07-18-2007   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
HK, can I count on you to spend a 2nd rounder on KW? j/k
Nah...I wouldn't pick him any earlier than the third round.
Old 07-18-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ESPN: Schaub doesn't solve all of Houston's problems
What I don't get is whoever said that Schaub was supposed to solve all of our problems?

These writers like to strawman a lot. They make up situations to respond to, but anyone with any sense knows that the Texans FO has always maintained that Schaub is just another piece of a much larger puzzle. Nobody has ever said he was Superman or the Second Coming.

As far as doubting unproven players, a sixth grader in her first writing class could ask those questions. Not a whole lot of deep journalism going on in these articles. I suppose that would require some work.
Old 07-18-2007   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
What I don't get is whoever said that Schaub was supposed to solve all of our problems?

These writers like to strawman a lot. They make up situations to respond to, but anyone with any sense knows that the Texans FO has always maintained that Schaub is just another piece of a much larger puzzle. Nobody has ever said he was Superman or the Second Coming.

As far as doubting unproven players, a sixth grader in her first writing class could ask those questions. Not a whole lot of deep journalism going on in these articles. I suppose that would require some work.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-18-2007   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Mine to
Old 07-18-2007   #14
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I don't think we can underestimate is the "Vonta Factor". We now have a FB that can block for Green and pick up the blitz for Schaub. If, as we are hearing, Schaub thinks though his progressions and reads defenses faster than our former qb and we can give him just a second longer to throw, we could be looking at a #2 WR picking up good yards. Do we really have to say that every game player "W" will get the 2nd most yards than AJ. Why can't we just hope that one game it is player "W" and the next it is player "J" or player "D". Just go with the hot hand of the game. We all know that our former qb rarely looked past AJ. I think Schaub will and that one or more of our "unproven" WRs will have a chance to step up.

Right now, my money is on Jones, but I expect someone to have more yards than Molds did last season.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Is it no wonder why they got rid of Molds
Old 07-18-2007   #16
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Nah...I wouldn't pick him any earlier than the third round.
sounds good. KW "Houshamazilly" in the 3rd. Mark it down. "Championship."
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

The front office has always maintained the stance that Schaub is just another piece in the fix, but on the other hand, many fans have made it abundantly clear that Schaub will fix all the offensive woes. Maybe the writer just has his audience confused, cause if he was talking to fans rather than the front office, I'd have to agree with his basic argument.
Old 07-18-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
However, the problem Matt Schaub does not solve is the left tackle. If the left tackle cannot prevent the defense from bullrushing into the Texans' backfield, all this is useless.
A little bit of a tangent here, but I was watching the Colts/Chefs playoff game with Black playing against Freeney. I had seen another Chefs game from earlier in the season where Black looked fine but in this game against the Colts, Black was getting taken to SCHOOL by Freeney. The one play that really sticks out was one where Freeney saw that they were going to chip him with the back (don't remember if it was LJ) so instead of going with the speed rush, Freeney bullrushed Black and just totally manhandled him.

I really can't see Black taking the LT spot away from Salaam if that game is any indication. And personally I'm not so sure that Spencer's going to be able to make it back, either. Schaub is supposed to be great at reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly and he's going to have to be.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #19
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

KW... KW "who's your mamma?"

That commercial... never get tired of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A little bit of a tangent here, but I was watching the Colts/Chefs playoff game with Black playing against Freeney. I had seen another Chefs game from earlier in the season where Black looked fine but in this game against the Colts, Black was getting taken to SCHOOL by Freeney. The one play that really sticks out was one where Freeney saw that they were going to chip him with the back (don't remember if it was LJ) so instead of going with the speed rush, Freeney bullrushed Black and just totally manhandled him.

I really can't see Black taking the LT spot away from Salaam if that game is any indication. And personally I'm not so sure that Spencer's going to be able to make it back, either. Schaub is supposed to be great at reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly and he's going to have to be.
I'm not convinced Black will usurp Salaam either. Where I get nervous is that I feel that yet again the Texans' season will teeter on the legs of the left tackle, and once again it is still one of the weakest areas on the whole team. However, to be more to point, I think Matt will be much more adept at getting the ball out before the bullrush. My worry is how many hits will it take to slow down his reads and make him itchy to get the ball out. I suspect this is the core of everything that Kubiak/Shanahan is doing with Matt, but we won't have a glance until September, which can't come soon enough...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read