Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-12-2004   #21
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Clarett doesn't have half the talent of Lawrence Phillips and I can guarantee the Rams regret using a 6th overall pick on him.

Sometimes there's just not much you can do with headcases. And Clarett is most certainly a head case.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how you can compare (in terms of crimes) Clarett to Phillips. Clarett did what, falsify a theft report? He's no Boy Scout. Phillips record of violence against women is sickening. They may both be "head cases", but Phillips' case is much more chronic and ruthless.
Old 11-12-2004   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Didn't Phillips have a drug problem as well?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004   #24
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I don't see how you can compare (in terms of crimes) Clarett to Phillips. Clarett did what, falsify a theft report? He's no Boy Scout. Phillips record of violence against women is sickening. They may both be "head cases", but Phillips' case is much more chronic and ruthless.
I compared them in terms of crime? Where?

Considering the amount of trouble Clarett found himself in after just one season of college ball, I would not risk using a draft pick in hopes that it doesn't continue. His talent doesn't warrant the risk.
Old 11-12-2004   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I compared them in terms of crime? Where?
Then what was your reasoning in linking them in the sentence? Clarett doesn't have Marshall Faulk's talent, either. Why choose Phillips if not to provide linkage to off the field behavior?
Old 11-13-2004   #26
Huge
Hall of Fame

Because both are headcases. Is it not that obvious? I didn't say Clarett should be locked up behind bars (as Phillips should be right now) because it's irrelevent. He's still a headcase...which was my point.

I used Phillips as an example because he's one of the best examples of a player wasting his talent because he's a headcase. Clarett is another example.
Old 11-14-2004   #27
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I'd expect him to have a very good combine since he'll have plenty of time to prepare for it, and that should make his stock rise a little bit.
That was the problem last year...he had all that time off school and ran his mouth about making it in the NFL as this great player and showed up out of shape and not even close to NFL or even top college quality. However, now he knows it's this year or no year so I think he will be in great shape as well.

I don't think the guy is a headcase. He did things by emotions, calling OSU liars, and was selfish (there are a lot of guys that are great players and don't have legal problems that are a little selfish) in taking advantage of what was given and offered him. However, the guy didn't break any laws worthy of being called a headcase. I'd term him more of an attitude problem. What I see though is a guy that if given a chance can prove he's a very good player without the problems ppl have exaggerated him to have.

I tend to look for the good in the situation and hope he does rebuild and redeem himself. ONLY if he changes his attitude as well.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2004   #28
shinerbock_texas
Rookie

THROUGH WEEK 14 BASED ON FULL 16 GAME SCHEDULE
pick team wins strength of schedule

1 49ERS 2 0.476
2 DOLPHINS 2 0.558
3 BROWNS 3 0.591
4 CARDINALS 4 0.462
5 TITANS 4 0.500
6 REDSKINS 4 0.505
7 RAIDERS 4 0.563
8 BUCCANEERS 5 0.466
9 BEARS 5 0.476
10 SAINTS 5 0.481
11 LIONS 5 0.510
12 TEXANS 5 0.510
13 COWBOYS 5 0.519
14 CHARGERS from GIANTS 5 0.529
15 CHIEFS 5 0.558
16 RAMS 6 0.490
17 PANTHERS 6 0.510
18 BENGALS 6 0.548
19 SEAHAWKS 7 0.442
20 VIKINGS 7 0.481
21 COWBOYS from BILLS 7 0.505
22 JAGUARS 7 0.524
23 BRONCOS 8 0.471
24 PACKERS 8 0.471
25 RAVENS 8 0.543
26 JETS 9 0.505
27 FALCONS 10 0.423
28 CHARGERS 10 0.471
29 COLTS 10 0.500
30 EAGLES 12 0.452
31 STEELERS 12 0.486
32 PATRIOTS 12 0.495
shinerbock_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #29
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveForTheGame
That was the problem last year...he had all that time off school and ran his mouth about making it in the NFL as this great player and showed up out of shape and not even close to NFL or even top college quality. However, now he knows it's this year or no year so I think he will be in great shape as well.

I don't think the guy is a headcase. He did things by emotions, calling OSU liars, and was selfish (there are a lot of guys that are great players and don't have legal problems that are a little selfish) in taking advantage of what was given and offered him. However, the guy didn't break any laws worthy of being called a headcase. I'd term him more of an attitude problem. What I see though is a guy that if given a chance can prove he's a very good player without the problems ppl have exaggerated him to have.

I tend to look for the good in the situation and hope he does rebuild and redeem himself. ONLY if he changes his attitude as well.
He lied on a police report saying $10,000 worth of stuff was stolen from his car. That wasn't done out of emotion. My opinion of him being a headcase doesn't stem from one incident. Trouble just seems to follow the guy around. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 12-16-2004   #30
astrofan
Veteran

i agree
nothing about him has ever made me think "that guy is a Texan"
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #31
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Well me and Mo are from the same town(youngstown). I got to watch him absolutely dominate everyone on the HS level (my cousin even tried to tackle him in a game, it didnt work)

Besides being naieve enough to accept money from boosters and try to fix his image (by whatever means necesary), he's not a bad kid. There are probably 75 guys who have done worse things than him who are in the nfl now. If you want a good RB, draft Clarett. If you want a high quality guy, good luck trying to determine that. Clarett likes money, he will get that in the NFL. But I know some people who played with him at Harding HS, and they said he's the best teammate you can hope for. So you shouldn't make so many assumptions because he made some selfish decisions in the past year.
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Clarett may lack character , be immature and a liar but none of that has a thing to do with playin football . Personaly i dont care for him but if he is available late day one or early day two I take a shot on the guy . He may have grown up over these many months away from football . There is No Doubt the guy has talent. The way the Texans struggle in the running game how could you go wrong by takin him , had he stayed in school he (barring injury) would most definately been an early round one pick .

Character hasnt won us many games round here , im sick'a hearin bout character and wanna see more WINS. There are MANY players who fall into the same catagory as MC and are hall of famers today . Lawrence Taylor come to mind ? How bout Ray Lewis ?( he might not be there Yet but he's headed in that direction , Murder Aquittal or no) Football is about hittin the guy across from you in the mouth ..... not bein MR. Nice Guy.

Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004   #33
Huge
Hall of Fame

Lawrence Phillips - 1,453 career rushing yards
Rashaan Salaam - 1,682 career rushing yards
Curtis Enis - 1,497 career rushing yards
Eric Bieniemy - 1,589 career rushing yards

Still think lack of character and maturity has nothing to do with playing football? All 4 of those guys had the same if not more ability than Clarett. None of them ever had an impact on the league. Why? Because they lacked character and maturity. These are 4 guys I think of when I think of Clarett.

On top of durability issues (hasn't played a healthy season since his Jr year in high school) and maybe having too much hype (is a 1,237 yard freshman season really that impressive...consider what Adrian Peterson did this year and get back to me), as well as all the extra negative baggage that comes with him (blowing off interviews at last year's combine, etc.), I have yet to see a reason to draft the guy.

But that's just me.
Old 12-19-2004   #34
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Speaking of character and head cases, did anyone catch Ricky Williams on CBSs "60 Minutes"? He says his announcing his retirement right at the start of the season had nothing to do with Miami's nose dive this year. What is scary is, I think he really believes it!!? Talk about being in La-La Land!
Old 12-19-2004   #35
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
On top of durability issues (hasn't played a healthy season since his Jr year in high school) and maybe having too much hype (is a 1,237 yard freshman season really that impressive...consider what Adrian Peterson did this year and get back to me), as well as all the extra negative baggage that comes with him (blowing off interviews at last year's combine, etc.), I have yet to see a reason to draft the guy.

But that's just me.
so how was he overhyped? he wasnt a heisman finalist, he wasnt first team all american. Where is this hype? is it bad that he put up 1,237 in one year (oh by the way, he didnt play in 2 games. so, yeah it was impressive, and no he wasn't hyped beyond what he did on the field
Old 12-19-2004   #36
Huge
Hall of Fame

As I said...that's just me. I grew tired of the "Mr. Ohio" clips every 5 minutes on ESPN. I grew tired of the "Clarett would be a top 5 pick if he comes out now (after his freshman season)" post.

But again...that's just me.

Maybe I should just limit myself to watching his high school clips so I could get a really good idea about how he'd do against NFL competition.
Old 12-19-2004   #37
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

I don't know, you seem to have something against him. The kid is pretty amazing, and if he wouldnt act like an a-hole sometimes, and got better advise (jim brown messed him up) he'd be ok. Give him a chance honestly. He did what a lot of underpriveleged kids would, he took money. It doesn't testify too much as to his character.

I can only say give him time. Believe me, he is one of the most hated men to ever come out of Youngstown, but everyone deserves a second chance
Old 12-20-2004   #38
Huge
Hall of Fame

I don't have anything against Clarett. He's never done anything to me or to any of my family members. It's not personal.

I just don't buy into everything that's said about him. Again, I have yet to see anything special about the guy. What's so amazing about him? He hasn't done anything on or off the field that I haven't seen many times before. He averaged 112 yards per game his freshman season (11 games...1237 yards) and I'm supposed to roll over for that?

I do think he's a victim of having too many people in his ear (agents, Brown, etc) and having too much success (MNC his first year in college) too early. Having Lebron James as a close friend (high schooler going straight to the pros) probably didn't help either.

If you want to talk straight football skills...I think he's a second round/second day pick without the baggage. He doesn't run with patience. He doesn't have great vision. He doesn't have the burst needed at this level. His durability is a big question mark (couldn't finish an entire season the last two seasons he's played).

I don't feel he should be kept out of the league so I don't fall into "not giving him a second chance". I say let him in. But I'll be back when he proves me right. If I'm wrong, then I'll be here for that too.
Old 12-20-2004   #39
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Being a Buckeye, I woyuld cry if he became a Texan

1) On field attitude: As long as he got the ball, made big plays, he was cool. The second he was taken out, fumbled, anything, he was on the sideline throwing his helmet, cussing, and taking up coach's time while they coddled him. And BAD.

2) Off the field: He's all bling bling and "my sh*t don't stink." Do you REALLY want a player who'll end up on trial his first or second year after being drafted?

3) Partying habits: I know LOTS of NFL players have them, but his were pretty public back home.

4)Target on his chest: After acting like a 12 year old (and don't give me that confused boy stuff- he knew everything he said and did, and did it all for personal gain), IMO we'll have a big, fat target painted on his chest. And I persoanlly hope he gets a non life threatening, career ending injury. He doesn't deserve to play.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004   #40
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX
4)Target on his chest: After acting like a 12 year old (and don't give me that confused boy stuff- he knew everything he said and did, and did it all for personal gain), IMO we'll have a big, fat target painted on his chest. And I persoanlly hope he gets a non life threatening, career ending injury. He doesn't deserve to play.
Thats kinda harsh. I think the kid should get a chance to prove himself. I know a team will take a chance on him in the 4th or 5th round. And when I say I know, I really mean I think. :P

But he will have his work cut out for him his first year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read