Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Less than 8 wins, Fire everyone?

There are predictions all over the place, but if the team goes less than 8-8 what are ramifications? Does McNair say Kubes you've had two years and it just ain't working, good bye? If so does that open the door for our assistant head coach from Green Bay? Will injuries be allowed to be an excuse or is it wins regardless and you guys (team & management) are meeting owner's goals. Can we be 6 or 7 wins and be able to say, well we got the players in place and with all the room under cap for the next season, we will be able to close most of the holes? Will less than 8-8 cause a revolt amongst the fan base?

My opinion, focus is on the play not the wins. I want to see growth in the guys 2years and under such as Mario and Demeco (and yes, he will only get better). I think three veterans AJ, D Rob and Peek will have very good years. I think we will find a #2 CB that will be solid if not spectacular. I think we will deal with if not overcome the #2 WR spot and FS. I think if Schaub can be only a "good QB" not necessarily a great one, all other aspects of offense will be better. Injuries to key players will be reduced. Lordy, seems as if it just has to be better than last season. And no coach is fired.
Old 07-17-2007   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Less than 8 wins, Fire everyone?

Seeing that Kubiak isn't viewed as incompetent, he'll probably be given 2 more years to turn this team around before they consider firing him. So far he's done as much as anyone could do with this team. He'll make us respectable this season and a contender two years down the road. With a great owner like McNair, good things happen to good people.
Old 07-17-2007   #3
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on how many less we're talking about. If we go 2-14, yeah, probably some firings are coming. If we play hard and go 6-10, I'd say no firings. Itís really all up to the players. I don't expect my team to win every time, but I do expect the effort.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it difficult to not be excited. Yes the season can and probably will hang on some of the newbies like Schaub, Green, Okoye and maybe Jacoby. I just hang my hope on how well R. Smith did last season with free agency and see no reason his judgement suddenly took a turn for the worse. I get even more excited when I think of the cap $ available next year. Samuel Assante? He might look pretty good opposite DRob, but he will prob again be assigned as this year.
Old 07-17-2007   #5
red_dirt
Rookie

I think that firing the head coach, GM, or coordinators is going to take alot more than a 8-8 season (and rightly so). My belief is that it takes a good 3-4 years for a team to redirected by a head coach, and firing after 2 years or less is unwise. That being said, if there are enough indicators to show that a team is going nowhere then extreme mesures should be taken. I don't think anyone is proposing to fire Kubiak (are they?), but if the Texans get less than 7 wins there will be grumbling. I think he sould stay with 4 or more wins, but more importantly (as pointed out by others), we should look at how hard the team fights, especially during the losses. If he begins to change the character of this team, into a group that never quits, then they will be headed in the right direction.
red_dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Sure, some people could go. If the defense does not perform to expectations (and with another first-rd pick, the expectations keep getting higher), Richard Smith could be gone. But I don't think the front office will fire Kubes or Rick Smith unless something disastrous happens. They are trusting these guys to go in the right direction.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless the Texans go 2-14 (or worse) again this season, I don't see Kubiak getting fired. Two years is not enough time to turn around a team, even with all the parity in the NFL these days.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2007   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

The only person that (I can see) getting fired is the ST coach, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mr. McNair can fully comprehend the importance of continuity and has learned from the early years of this franchise. If the D doesn't live up to potential i do think Richard Smith is gone,esepcially with all the investments in it right now. I think we'll make or be close to 8-8 but long as i think we see growth in the team Kubiak will be around along with Rick Smith.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

No.
Old 07-17-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Seeing that Kubiak isn't viewed as incompetent, he'll probably be given 2 more years to turn this team around before they consider firing him. So far he's done as much as anyone could do with this team. He'll make us respectable this season and a contender two years down the road. With a great owner like McNair, good things happen to good people.
I finally get to post a non negitive one. Yes agreed. Mr. McNair is still learning also. I think he realizes now just how bankrupt the first brain trust was. Wether MS makes it or not, I believe kubiak is here for a while. Considering the cap ramifactions they were under, not their fault, and not thier players btw, I think Kubes still has a very long leash. Two very good drafts and solid personal finds going into their second year, they are on the correct path. Bunch of us told ya it was going to take a couple of seasons switching the defensive scheme. The switch over should be complete next draft.

Just read Smauels and NE are still at odds at a long term deal.... don't know they'll poney up eighty million...but the point is when you're down to a few pieces to get competitive, their is multipul ways to fill a few glaring holes.

They've got the back ups in place they are not that far away. They are just missing a few key pieces. We're a lot closer now than we were when we started. Now whehter or not the fan base and the local paper will exercise paitience or not is anybody's guess.
At least we have a solid base now from which to build. Hit gold on a safty, in the draft and a high end Will the defense should be solid for many seasons.
Old 07-17-2007   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Does everyone agree that fans (not just us rabid type on MB) are willing to look past the W column for at last two more years as long as the effort is there by the players?
Old 07-17-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I finally get to post a non negitive one. Yes agreed. Mr. McNair is still learning also. I think he realizes now just how bankrupt the first brain trust was. Wether MS makes it or not, I believe kubiak is here for a while. Considering the cap ramifactions they were under, not their fault, and not thier players btw, I think Kubes still has a very long leash. Two very good drafts and solid personal finds going into their second year, they are on the correct path. Bunch of us told ya it was going to take a couple of seasons switching the defensive scheme. The switch over should be complete next draft.

Just read Smauels and NE are still at odds at a long term deal.... don't know they'll poney up eighty million...but the point is when you're down to a few pieces to get competitive, their is multipul ways to fill a few glaring holes.

They've got the back ups in place they are not that far away. They are just missing a few key pieces. We're a lot closer now than we were when we started. Now whehter or not the fan base and the local paper will exercise paitience or not is anybody's guess.
At least we have a solid base now from which to build. Hit gold on a safty, in the draft and a high end Will the defense should be solid for many seasons.
I mentioned Assante on another thread earlier today. His team can just keep naming him the franchise each year and he has to stay right? I think he earns a little over 7 million this season. Is there another player on the team that might force the team to not name Assante as the franchise? I really hate to play a free agent so much but he is the type CB that should hold that position for for a whil. He will be 27 in January, however. If he would agree to a back loaded contract he could be worth a 6 to 7 year deal.
Old 07-17-2007   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

for a well-trained dog, call man's best friend.
Old 07-17-2007   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Does everyone agree that fans (not just us rabid type on MB) are willing to look past the W column for at last two more years as long as the effort is there by the players?
I am. Especially considering the amount of control Kubes has been given. He's had to rebuild from the ground up. Seems like it might take more than 5 years for him to really get going.

I can't say the same for the average Houston football fan that doesn't hang out on message boards. I remember a "Fire Kubiak" thread on this board at midseason last year.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans don't get to 8 wins this year. Several things better be demonstrated, and they are:

1. The offense is consistent and can score a fair amount of points on any Sunday, say average around 20 points a game,
2. Schuab shows he is a top 10 QB or is well on his way,
3. The defense continues improving from it's strong showing late last year, and
4. There are several tough losses that could have gone either way.

Take care of those things and the record really won't be that important.

Considering #1 though, averaging 20 points a game almost assures an 8-8 record, barring some calamity of sorts. Which is probably why the QB change was made.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our fast food culture is permeating everything. Calling for a mass firing after just two seasons - regardless of record - is indicative of the instant gratification that our society craves.

I think Kubiak has a good five years before McNair even thinks of giving him the boot. We might see some shuffling around of assistants, but I doubt the HC and GM will be on the hot seat for a long time.
Old 07-17-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I am. Especially considering the amount of control Kubes has been given. He's had to rebuild from the ground up. Seems like it might take more than 5 years for him to really get going.

I can't say the same for the average Houston football fan that doesn't hang out on message boards. I remember a "Fire Kubiak" thread on this board at midseason last year.
Whoops, you scared me with that 5 year to really get going comment. Are you refering to the 5 year plans that so many allude to or God forbid, do you anticipate five more years to "get it going"?
Old 07-17-2007   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Our fast food culture is permeating everything. Calling for a mass firing after just two seasons - regardless of record - is indicative of the instant gratification that our society craves.

I think Kubiak has a good five years before McNair even thinks of giving him the boot. We might see some shuffling around of assistants, but I doubt the HC and GM will be on the hot seat for a long time.
DB, I agree with your overall assessment regarding our culture, meaning American society as a whole.

However, after two seasons, Kubiak should be getting the ship going in the right direction. Which means 8-8 or a very good reason why they didn't make it.

Particularly, if VY continues to light it up, and if even DC gets his career on track up at Carolina. If those things happen and Kubiak's decision to bring in Schuab is a failure, that means this QB guru is 0 for 3 in two years in evaluating/coaching QB talent.

Point is, it shouldn't take that long to sniff at 8-8 or be very competitive with what Kubiak started with and the draft picks he had available to him, while taking into consideration free agent signings opportunities.

So, agree with your assessment of our society, but I don't think it applies to a 2 year requirement of genuine progress for Kubiak and his staff.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I mentioned Assante on another thread earlier today. His team can just keep naming him the franchise each year and he has to stay right? I think he earns a little over 7 million this season. Is there another player on the team that might force the team to not name Assante as the franchise? I really hate to play a free agent so much but he is the type CB that should hold that position for for a whil. He will be 27 in January, however. If he would agree to a back loaded contract he could be worth a 6 to 7 year deal.
I might be wrong, but as I understand it... the franchise tag works like this:

First two years you are paid the average of the top 5 at your position.
3rd year you are paid average of top 5 in NFL
No more franchising after that point.

I could be wrong but they discussed on the afternoon blitz one time and I believe that's what they said.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read