Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-17-2007   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Asante Samuel hold-out until week 10?

Asante Samuel is claiming he is prepared to hold-out until week 10 if not paid what he wants. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

He already skipped minicamp.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Asante Samuel hold-out until week 10?

If he holds out until week 10, he's not going to get paid what he wants then either. He's not like wine. He's not going to get better (and thus paid more) the longer he waits.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Rumor is he's gon' be traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

He can now only accept the 1 year offer of a franchised player. Under the rules he can not now sign a multi year deal.
Old 07-17-2007   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Asante needs to carefully think about this. How many people after leaving the Pats organization have enjoyed the same amount of sucess they have had over the past 5 years?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Asante got annually burned until this season, and now he's an elite cornerback? Please.

Lets see how well he does on a defense that can't apply pressure to the quarterback.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #7
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Asante got annually burned until this season, and now he's an elite cornerback? Please.

Lets see how well he does on a defense that can't apply pressure to the quarterback.
I can't tell you how glad I am to see this coming from a fan outside of New England. Samuel was almost a liability until '06. You don't get 10 picks if other teams are afraid to throw to your side of the field (unless you're Champ Bailey, and Asante is certainly NOT).

He's a solid CB, but elite? No way. If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere, he's either delusional or getting offers in pesos instead of dollars.
Old 07-19-2007   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel. At this point to me, it's not even about him duplicating his production from last year so as to validate the patriots giving him the deal he feels he deserves. You have to pay to keep talented guys around period. He may not be shut down but he's better than most starting corners in the league. I hate how the patriots front office thinks that as long as they have Brady & a bunch of rejects, they can continue to win super bowls b/c truthfully it's just not true. They should've found that out last year especially after Reche "bugged eye" Caldwell essentially costed them the AFC championship game last year & Brady's nonchalant pleas to keep Branch around.

Frankly, i hope he does sit & the patriots cover defense suffers b/c of it. that might finally bring them to the realization that you need SOME talent to continue to win.

Last edited by Mr teX; 07-19-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #9
real

I think the Pats can find another CB that can fill the role sufficiently, but I DO think Asante is a very good corner...
Old 07-19-2007   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I think the Pats can find another CB that can fill the role sufficiently, but I DO think Asante is a very good corner...
That's probably true, but why take the chance, why don't you just keep the guy who's been there & who might be coming into his own? a couple of days ago, they were just saying that they were close to a deal so you know it wasn't a tremendous discrepancy in money that he wanted. I say just pay the guy.

I think they're just being cheap, Hell, Brady gave them a HUGE break with his contract, put that saved money somewhere else in the team so as to sustain the excellence.
Old 07-19-2007   #11
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
That's probably true, but why take the chance, why don't you just keep the guy who's been there & who might be coming into his own? a couple of days ago, they were just saying that they were close to a deal so you know it wasn't a tremendous discrepancy in money that he wanted. I say just pay the guy.

I think they're just being cheap, Hell, Brady gave them a HUGE break with his contract, put that saved money somewhere else in the team so as to sustain the excellence.
The deadline has passed for teams to negotiate long term contracts with franchised players. They must now wait until after the season.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
The deadline has passed for teams to negotiate long term contracts with franchised players. They must now wait until after the season.
Yeah i know, i was speaking on what they should've done before the dealine.
Old 07-19-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel.
Actually, I think it would be at $550k per game.

Being Franchised gets him annual contract around $9,000,000.

Divide that by 16 and you get $562,500.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
I believe that issue is with the team he is on at time being Franchised.

If traded, that isn't an issue for the team that acquired him.

Maybe I am wrong?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Actually, I think it would be at $550k per game.

Being Franchised gets him annual contract around $9,000,000.

Divide that by 16 and you get $562,500.

Good catch, in that case he'd be all of the above if he passed on 10 game checks in that amount. actually, just more of the first.
Old 07-19-2007   #16
real

Quote:

Oh, I agree with you.
Old 07-19-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for what the Patriots are doing. Why would any organization want to shell out the amount of money wants after one good season? IMO, one very good year doesn't justify a huge long term contract.

I would think if he has a similar season this year he could cash it in. He's only hurting himself long-term by threatening to holdout.
Old 07-19-2007   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure the Pats used the money that Brady saved them to sign Randy Moss. I may be wrong but that is what I thought happened.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel. At this point to me, it's not even about him duplicating his production from last year so as to validate the patriots giving him the deal he feels he deserves. You have to pay to keep talented guys around period. He may not be shut down but he's better than most starting corners in the league. I hate how the patriots front office thinks that as long as they have Brady & a bunch of rejects, they can continue to win super bowls b/c truthfully it's just not true. They should've found that out last year especially after Reche "bugged eye" Caldwell essentially costed them the AFC championship game last year & Brady's nonchalant pleas to keep Branch around.

Frankly, i hope he does sit & the patriots cover defense suffers b/c of it. that might finally bring them to the realization that you need SOME talent to continue to win.
I just don't think Branch was worth the contract either and that the Seahawks were stupid to pay a #1 to acquire a medicore WR.

The pats also went pretty far out this year to overhaul their WR corps as well so yeah they have learned that that that crew of rejects wasn't going to cut it...that said...Peyton had to engineer a hell of a comeback for the Pats to lose.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I just don't think Branch was worth the contract either and that the Seahawks were stupid to pay a #1 to acquire a medicore WR.

The pats also went pretty far out this year to overhaul their WR corps as well so yeah they have learned that that that crew of rejects wasn't going to cut it...that said...Peyton had to engineer a hell of a comeback for the Pats to lose.
Yeah, but it really shouldn't have been about if they thought he was worth it or not. This guy showed up in the biggest game of the year, took home the MVP trophy, has repore (sp?) with your QB, knows the system & how things work in the Patriots camp, he's a good guy & you just can't put a price tag on things like that. On top of all that, he isn't a slouch WR either.

His numbers aren't that bad considering the fact that Brady spreads the ball around very well & he didn't get a chance to start until 2004. Is he a gamebreaker in the mold of Steve Smith or TO? No, but you're not just paying for production you're paying for everything else i named above. Let's just put it like this, had that been branch on the other end of the pass Caldwell dropped, we might've been talking about how sick we are of seeing the patriots in the superbowl instead of this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read