Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Most underrated player in Texans history?

here is another one.

I'd have to say Seth Payne on defense

Pitts on Offense
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Most underrated player in Texans history?

I think that the most underrated player in Texans history had definitely been on defense. I just don't know whether or not it was Seth Payne or Gary Walker. Walker went to the Pro Bowl in his first year here so maybe that means you can't call him underrated. I just know one thing. If Seth and Gary don't play like they did then the 3-4 never works here at all. Not even a little bit.

Walker took a lot of heat and it seems like every year following 2002 I remember reading posts from people complaining about him not performing. It took a long time for those same people to focus on Robaire Smith who was a non-factor from the moment he got here. Walker, when healthy was our best defensive lineman by a landslide. If he'd had a couple more years left in the tank and hadn't been slowed by injuries the Texans might have topped .500 under Dom Capers. Capers might even still be here (so in the long run I think it was blessing in disguise for us)

I also know that Gary Walker doesn't make the plays he did without Payne playing as good as he did. When Payne went out in 2003 the entire defense began to fall apart. It happened instantly that day in New Orleans. Yes Walker got hurt later as did a whole bunch of guys but the defense officially began to suck the day Seth Payne tore up his knee and was lost for the year.
Old 07-15-2007   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go with Payne as well. I think most interior linemen are over looked though.
Old 07-15-2007   #4
real

I'm going to go with Chester Pitts...

I think he is a pretty good lineman that could start for a lot of teams across the leauge...

He was a victim of guilt by association...He was associated with all the sacks that were given up by us...

I'm going to go look up how many sacks have actually been assigned to him...
Old 07-15-2007   #5
real

He's been assigned with 40.25 sacks

If you take out the outrageous amount of 15 that he allowed as a rookie he's averaged around 6 sacks given up a year...

Last year he gave up the fewest of his career with 4.25...Still too many IMO for a guard (I think 1-2 a year is decent from a guard), but I think his near consistent play has been overlooked because of the whole O-line simplistically having been labled 'bad'....
Old 07-15-2007   #6
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 11 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Under the "sacks allowed" criteria, I'm going with Fred Weary.

BTW... did you realize that E.Winston only allowed 2 last year?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #7
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Moran Norris: Look at how the run game suffered at the beginning of last season with Cook playing FB.

Marlon McCree: Had a great season in 2005 after leaving for Carolina. Glenn Earl actually had a better year than him last season statistically, but McCree seemed to always be around the ball.

Billy Miller: Without him in 2002 and 2003 we don't have much of a passing game.

Robaire Smith: Got a bad rap, but put up big numbers in 2005 with 68 tackles which is a lot for a 3-4 DT.

Last edited by the wonger need food; 07-15-2007 at 08:56 PM.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2007   #8
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many of his sacks were actually DC fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
He's been assigned with 40.25 sacks

If you take out the outrageous amount of 15 that he allowed as a rookie he's averaged around 6 sacks given up a year...

Last year he gave up the fewest of his career with 4.25...Still too many IMO for a guard (I think 1-2 a year is decent from a guard), but I think his near consistent play has been overlooked because of the whole O-line simplistically having been labled 'bad'....
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Moran Norris: Look at how the run game suffered at the beginning of last season with Cook playing FB.

Marlon McCree: Had a great season in 2005 after leaving for Carolina. Glenn Earl actually had a better year than him last season statistically, but McCree seemed to always be around the ball.

Billy Miller: Without him in 2002 and 2003 we don't have much of a passing game.

Robaire Smith: Got a bad rap, but put up big numbers in 2005 with 68 tackles which is a lot for a 3-4 DT.
Without Norris, I don't think DD/Williams would've had much success running the ball at all. You can attribute those 3 (almost) 1000 yd. seasons to Moran Norris, and he's doing it for his new team now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post

please with the pic there are women and children that see that and some of us ate
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It was only one year, but I guess I'll have to go with Vonta Leach. I'm glad we resigned him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Aaron Glenn our Secondary really went to shreads after he left and he's been solid in Dallas. A victim of the "whoa someone on the roster is over 30 mentality".

I think Jamie Sharper was also a key component early on.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #13
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Chester Pitts on durability alone.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for the whole starting defensive unit of the first couple years of the franchise. It was really good, maybe even outstanding but was so underrated because Carr and his pathetic offensive unit struggled so much and was constantly leaving the D in horrible field position after repeatedly failing to sustain drives, let score TDs.
But the Xpansion Draft plus a couple FA signings brought a core of excellect defensive players over here who were experienced vets but still at or near the peak of their careers in physical terms: DLineman Walker & Payne, LBs Sharper & Wong, DBs Glenn & Coleman.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #15
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go with Glenn Earl.
Old 07-16-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I will go with the 12th man - the fans... For five years we have gone to the games ready to explode. We have already proved that Reliant can be loud, now just give us something to 'really' cheer about.
Old 07-16-2007   #17
real

I'd rep you for that if the system would let me...
Old 07-16-2007   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'd rep you for that if the system would let me...
If that was intented for me, the acknowledgement was all the rep. I needed. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2007   #19
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure about underrated but I do know the Casserly Capers regime was way over rated.
Old 07-16-2007   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
I am not sure about underrated but I do know the Casserly Capers regime was way over rated.
riiiiight because everybody has such high regard and appreciation for what they did.. isnt there a rule that you have to be rated above awful to be overrated
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read