Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2007   #81
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Reasons why this isn't a playoff year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
1. Pitchers are used in baseball and restaurants.
2. You're hearts in the right place, but you might want to pull your head out.
3. You gotta go bustin' in like John Wayne!!! We don't wanna sneak in. We wanna EXPLODE onto the scene!!! Besides, I like the nostalgia of quoting Bum Phillips.
1. And iced tea machines

2. I have a headache.

3. As long as it isn't MY foot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #82
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
1. And iced tea machines

2. I have a headache.

3. As long as it isn't MY foot...
1. They use pitchers in iced tea machines?? Or they use Iced tea machines to FILL pitchers?? Sounds very Zen of you. LOL

2. ummmm....try wearing a helmet. This IS a football forum!!! LOL some more.

3. We're gonna use John Wayne's foot!!! Didn't you read my earlier post? DUH!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #83
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. They use pitchers in iced tea machines?? Or they use Iced tea machines to FILL pitchers?? Sounds very Zen of you. LOL

2. ummmm....try wearing a helmet. This IS a football forum!!! LOL some more.

3. We're gonna use John Wayne's foot!!! Didn't you read my earlier post? DUH!!
1. The second one.

2. That might help.

3. Good.

Quote:
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
Old 07-23-2007   #84
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
While some of you guys, most actually, are probably in Houston and get exposed to football talk (and even Texans talk) all the time... This and hpt are my only links to intelligent football discussion. I don't mind disagreements.. but to say its a joke? Could you define that for me? Was that when I made valid points? Expressed a desire for things to work out better? Predicted a bright future? Said we were moving in the right direction?

fan -noun an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.: a baseball fan; a great fan of Charlie Chaplin.

And lastly... IMHO the time for being realistic.. is oh I don't know... always... or damn close to it...

Go Texans - oh and hell, for that matter go Lions... if they rep the NFC at least it wasn't Dallas who won the NFC!!!

Mike
As far as intelligent sports talk, this and fanhouse are probably the only spots you will find it. because with the load of crap fox, espin and the other disinformation shovlers there is none out there except these places.

What I ment by this being a load of crap is you have not seen the QB play, everyone seems to predict Green to only play about 4 games before he gets hurt and the Texans will not have another wr but AJ.

Being realistic is fine if you have all the information, but when you do not have all the facts or the information, then you are being negative not realistic.

Old 07-23-2007   #85
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok since no one want to go out on a limb and say what they think, I predict either 16-0 or 0-16. WHAHAAHAHH
Old 07-23-2007   #86
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok since no one want to go out on a limb and say what they think, I predict either 16-0 or 0-16. WHAHAAHAHH
UH-OH...He's using the John Kerry Flip Flop move on us...
Is this an election year???
Old 07-23-2007   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
UH-OH...He's using the John Kerry Flip Flop move on us...
Is this an election year???
Now I will perform my MJ moon walk then the cajun crawfish. Seriously, any of the off season moves and returns from injuries could flop, but if even a few of them do what is hoped; it could be a really fine year for wine.
Old 07-23-2007   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Now I will perform my MJ moon walk then the cajun crawfish. Seriously, any of the off season moves and returns from injuries could flop, but if even a few of them do what is hoped; it could be a really fine year for wine.
Amen, brother!! That's why they have to play the games.
Old 07-24-2007   #89
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
As far as intelligent sports talk, this and fanhouse are probably the only spots you will find it. because with the load of crap fox, espin and the other disinformation shovlers there is none out there except these places.

What I ment by this being a load of crap is you have not seen the QB play, everyone seems to predict Green to only play about 4 games before he gets hurt and the Texans will not have another wr but AJ.

Being realistic is fine if you have all the information, but when you do not have all the facts or the information, then you are being negative not realistic.

So you assuming that the QB is going to come in and win his first several games with a new team, the first time he's handed the reins as the starter is a load of well informed roses, while my assuming he may struggle in a new (albeit similar) system throwing to new receivers for new coaches behind a new offensive line is somehow a load of crap?

Additionally, while I've never predicted 4 games, it is completely asinine for me to insinuate that a guy who hasn't played a full season in the last two years and is now 30 (the wall for most running backs) might not play the entire season.

And you are absolutely right. I am a complete moron for not expecting us to find a legit 2nd receiver out of a bunch of guys who have about 100 catches in their entire careers.

From now on I should put on rose colored glasses and sing kumbyah... so tell me where can I get the koolaid?

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #90
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you assuming that the QB is going to come in and win his first several games with a new team, the first time he's handed the reins as the starter is a load of well informed roses, while my assuming he may struggle in a new (albeit similar) system throwing to new receivers for new coaches behind a new offensive line is somehow a load of crap?

Additionally, while I've never predicted 4 games, it is completely asinine for me to insinuate that a guy who hasn't played a full season in the last two years and is now 30 (the wall for most running backs) might not play the entire season.

And you are absolutely right. I am a complete moron for not expecting us to find a legit 2nd receiver out of a bunch of guys who have about 100 catches in their entire careers.

From now on I should put on rose colored glasses and sing kumbyah... so tell me where can I get the koolaid?

Mike
It seems you really want to be right about the Texans failing this year. I hope you are not.

The QB position has been awful the last five years, partly due to the OL and the skill of the former half a QB we employed. Kubiak has been involved as a player and coach with the position for almost thirty years. Schaub is his acquisition at the position that he has commanded for almost three decades and that should carry a significant amount of weight in my opinion. The Falcons, another NFL team, valued Schaub as they restricted him. Schaub has played for two NFL coaches Mora and Groh (Virginia) and played in a similar offense as the Texans.

I am optimistic about Schaub because I see us getting better at the QB position via addition through subtraction (Carr, just like when Kubiak took the ball out of his hands and when Sage was in the game), Kubiak's got his fingerprints all over Schaub, therefore he is accountable, and Schaub has the size, demeanor and skills.

Lots of "ifs" in the NFL every year, unfortunately we have not even have had many discussions in past years around "if' as it applies to the Texans. I'll take it as it feels good.
Old 07-24-2007   #91
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
You may very well be right about Green not lasting the whole season. But, let's look at how last year (when we won 6 games) compares:

Last year, we didn't have Green at all. Whatever Green gives us, however many games he lasts, will help our overall RB production for the year. Dayne, Lundy, Gado, whoever, will be fresher later on because of what Green did. Furthermore, the last 4 or 5 games last year we rushed much better than all season up to that point because of Vonta Leach at FB. I think we are ready to have a very good year running, even if Green doesn't last as long as we all hope.

There's also the obvious and already stated "Schaub is bound to be better than Carr" statement. Most of us adhere to it.

I also agree that most teams do have various problems, or at least areas they'd like to be better at. I still think we're looking at about 8.5 wins this year.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #92
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
NO i would rather watch at least one preseason game before I do either. I did not call you a moron, or imply that you are one.

I am not saying wear rose colored glasses, but I am asking you to take the ones covered in the brown stuff off.
Old 07-24-2007   #93
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It seems you really want to be right about the Texans failing this year. I hope you are not.

The QB position has been awful the last five years, partly due to the OL and the skill of the former half a QB we employed. Kubiak has been involved as a player and coach with the position for almost thirty years. Schaub is his acquisition at the position that he has commanded for almost three decades and that should carry a significant amount of weight in my opinion. The Falcons, another NFL team, valued Schaub as they restricted him. Schaub has played for two NFL coaches Mora and Groh (Virginia) and played in a similar offense as the Texans.

I am optimistic about Schaub because I see us getting better at the QB position via addition through subtraction (Carr, just like when Kubiak took the ball out of his hands and when Sage was in the game), Kubiak's got his fingerprints all over Schaub, therefore he is accountable, and Schaub has the size, demeanor and skills.

Lots of "ifs" in the NFL every year, unfortunately we have not even have had many discussions in past years around "if' as it applies to the Texans. I'll take it as it feels good.
I want nothing more than the Texans to win. I'm very optimistic about the future, I just don't think its this year. For the record I have been calling for Schaub since the end of last season, so I am very high on him. I have loved almost every move the Texans made this year, I just don't necessarily love them as much for this year as I do next year. Schaub, for the record, according to an article I was reading at the beginning of the year (just after the superbowl) has played in an offense similar to this one in one way or another all the way back to H.S.

You are still facing the same issues though. He's still a first year starter, granted a very experienced one, he's still a first year starter. He's also coming to a new system with new receivers, a new line etc. People around here seem to think I am predicting total failure which is far from the case. I'm actually predicting a 6 (and with Vick's stuff 7) win season. I'm also predicting that we lose some games we should win and win some games we should lose. Could we be this year's version of the 2001 Patriots? Maybe. Do we have the potential for a very nice season, I suppose. But if I was betting to make money and the number was 7.5, I'm taking the under.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007   #94
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
You may very well be right about Green not lasting the whole season. But, let's look at how last year (when we won 6 games) compares:

Last year, we didn't have Green at all. Whatever Green gives us, however many games he lasts, will help our overall RB production for the year. Dayne, Lundy, Gado, whoever, will be fresher later on because of what Green did. Furthermore, the last 4 or 5 games last year we rushed much better than all season up to that point because of Vonta Leach at FB. I think we are ready to have a very good year running, even if Green doesn't last as long as we all hope.

There's also the obvious and already stated "Schaub is bound to be better than Carr" statement. Most of us adhere to it.

I also agree that most teams do have various problems, or at least areas they'd like to be better at. I still think we're looking at about 8.5 wins this year.
I have no question that the individual parts on this team are better than those that we rolled out there last year. Especially on offense. I just think its going to take a while for them to jell. Also when rb's turn 30 things have a tendency to go down hill quickly If this were a 20 or 22 game season I'd probably be picking us to go a couple of games over .500.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007   #95
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texanmike, I still don't quite agree, but those last two posts were good explanations for your point of view. I must spread some rep around first.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #96
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

ok you have heard why this isnt a playoff season and now it is my turn to tell you why they will make the playoffs and be a field goal away from the unimaginable. ( im not gonna say it but the candian bacon steve nash plays there hint hint)

1. They remind me of the minnesota vikings of the late 90's(98 i think) when they were a field goal from winning the conference. They had a dominate reciever that had a break out year. (as do we)

2. They had a perennial back up get his first chance to lead his own team (Brad Johnson)

3. A dominate defensive line that leasd the league in hurries, sacks and batted balls. ( our d-line has that potential)

They came out of nowhere to have a great year and so can we.

ps remeber the Rams, the bucs, panthers, saints etc. Worst to first teams. the league is a league of parody. They are only one posession away from greatness

Last edited by spurstexanstros; 07-26-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #97
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why this can't be a playoff year. The AFC South is in shambles. We may break the mold. We may break down. You never know.
Old 07-26-2007   #98
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
The AFC South is in shambles.
Huh?

We've got the reigning Super Bowl champions in our division. I think it's always an uphill battle as long as Manning is at the top of his game. The best we can hope for is a backdoor wildcard, IMO.
Old 07-26-2007   #99
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Huh?

We've got the reigning Super Bowl champions in our division. I think it's always an uphill battle as long as Manning is at the top of his game. The best we can hope for is a backdoor wildcard, IMO.
If 5 teams get 12-4 or better...

Quote:
Old 07-26-2007   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have no question that the individual parts on this team are better than those that we rolled out there last year. Especially on offense. I just think its going to take a while for them to jell. Also when rb's turn 30 things have a tendency to go down hill quickly If this were a 20 or 22 game season I'd probably be picking us to go a couple of games over .500.

Mike
There are five pages of posts in this thread and that sentence right there is the most critical statement of anything I saw.

Its not just who we have but how they play as a team that will determine our success or failure. We made soooo many additions and subtractions this off-season that this training camp and preseason are going to be crucial. Let's review: New QB, new starting RB, new OT, new WRs, all coming in from other systems. They have 5-6 weeks to learn our system and each other. Its going to take some time, friends and neighbors, for them to come together and become a team.

To Schaub's credit, he seems to be doing everything humanly possible to help the offense become a cohesive unit. Ahman has been reunited with Leach, his lead blocker in GB. I think these two things will expedite the jelling process on offense. But they don't establish timing with WRs not named Andre Johnson. They don't solidify the O-line. Only on-field reps do that.

The defense is ahead of the game because they didn't make as many major moves as the offense did. This is most of the guys' 2nd year in Smith's system so there should be less thinking and more play-making. Hopefully, Smith will blitz more than he did in the first 3 games.

No doubt in my mind that we're a better team this year, on paper. But as Kubes said himself, that don't mean nuthin'. You gotta produce out on the field.

This is year two of the turn-around. Early on, I think we'll surprise some folks who think we're "the same ole Texans". We may not win, but everyone we play will know they've been in a battle. If we make progress like I think we can, by the time we reach the BYE week, no one will want to play us.

My prediction - without my Steel-Blue glasses on - is 8 & 8, +/- one game. Next year, we fight the division crown.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read