Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-13-2007   #21
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reasons why this isn't a playoff year

I agree with Frog on spelling out your thoughts and reasons behind them. I think just about everyone on this board shares your feelings at FS. I hope Harrison is a player cause Gattis was still on the board when we were up.

However I'll point out as others have. We weren't that far away from being 8-8 at least last year ourselves. I still point to the Giants game with the Jameel Cook "fumble" and i shouldn't have to point out either Titans game. All in all for a squad that barely and i mean barely managed a 2-14 season the year before to be a few plays away from and 8-8 season, nab the DROY, and land one of the more sought after QB's the past few years says a lot about the direction of the franchise IMO.

Granted we are still dealing with a good portion of unknowns this year again at FS, #2 WR(though i have a good feeling about Walters and i could well be way off), and LT.

I know a bunch of people are hosing the deal but Green was one of the better options at RB and is familar with what Sherman wants. I think that pays dividends there each knowing what the other wants to do and what the other is capable of. For everything said about Green last year he was coming of major surgery and still managed to produce a solid season in a pretty bad situation in Green Bay. Like it or not as well Dayne stepped in last year and really was the force behind winning a few games. If we had a competant passing game towards the end of the season i think we would've done better. I'm hoping for that and a little more. Not Saying Schaub has to light it up just be a competant passer, make his reads, if he sees a mismatch exploit it, and if there's nothing downfield (i know you all hate this one) check down to your dump off and let Green or whomever is in make something out of it.

While i'm still thinking around 7-9 wins this season i'm not ruling out with a few good plays here and there a possible run. I don't think i've gone into TC with realistic expectations like this before.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave you positive rep for that post because it was well articulated and intelligent. Good observations all.

Having said that let me just add that in my world every year is a playoff season until it's proven otherwise. It's July, my team is always playoff bound in July.
Old 07-13-2007   #23
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

With our schedule, I believe we can win 5 games this year and be a better team than last year. I say we win 5-7 games this year.

Now, if the planets line up, the moon and sun change places, and Manning and Freeney spend the year on PUP, we could possibly, maybe, almost make the playoffs.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #24
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe we are atleast 2 more drafts from seriously contending for the playoffs.
Old 07-13-2007   #25
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I gave you positive rep for that post because it was well articulated and intelligent. Good observations all.

Having said that let me just add that in my world every year is a playoff season until it's proven otherwise. It's July, my team is always playoff bound in July.
Now that's what I like! OPTIMISM!!!

I could lead this team to the Super Bowl with THAT kind of optimism! That's what I try to instill in my people. Optimism and confidence that we ARE the best and therefore we are.

Go Texans!
Old 07-13-2007   #26
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I am glad you wrote the post and am glad that you at least spelled out your reasons. I also think next year is the year for big expectations BUT I agree with a poster above, I believe Porky, who said you took the extreme worst case scenario for each position. You talk about DeMeco not running a 2.4 so he can't cover the whole field yet he still makes plays, was DROY and we added Danny Clark and Shawn Barber for some vet presence. I'm just picking one area. I will agree on still wanting in the FS position, etc but I think 7-9 or 8-8 is realistic under the second year of the system.

I'm not saying I don't love DeMeco... I do... I just don't know if we have the linebackers to go with him yet. I think this was a sign a few vets.. get some experience while you free up cap room type year. I also think if we were in the NFC we'd probably be looking at a 8-8 year... but we play with the big boys.

If we go 8-8 I'll be happy as the proverbial big in S417.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #27
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I appreciate that man... btw would someone explain the rep system to me.. we didn't have it on the old board...

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2007   #28
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I appreciate that man... btw would someone explain the rep system to me.. we didn't have it on the old board...

Mike
Here's the naysayers view.

First, let me say that I enjoyed your earlier post - it was very well thought out and very well presented. I didn't agree with everything you said but that's not the point .... I also didn't give you rep - intentionally. I have respect for many posters here but I don't need a status icon (the little green thingys next to your name by the "rep power" label) to let me know who has their sheet together. In fact, I just read something written by a person on another thread who had a rep of 1 or 2 that was far more insightful than what the rep power of 20-something guy had to say.

Anyway, I find the rep system here very odd - especially in what's mostly an adult environment. I used to throw it around occasionally (rarely) just to play along, but it's been a long time since I've used it. It's almost like kids' myspace pages where being on someone else's top ten list is soo important ... not really, but the feel is that of a popularity contest that I don't think adds a whole lot to the environment other than promote a form of virtual user status and heirarchy for whatever reason.

One of the things I like about hpf.com and ht.com is they don't use rep icons. I think it brings a jr. highish element to this board and if there was a way for me to hide the "Rep Power" label under my name, I would.

(I expect and invite negative rep on this post btw)

Last edited by aj.; 07-14-2007 at 02:07 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #29
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Here's the naysayers view.

First, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed your earlier post - it was very well thought out and very well presented. I didn't agree with everything you said but so what.... I also didn't give you rep - intentionally. I have respect for many posters here and don't need a status icon (the little green thingys next to your name by the "rep power" label) to let me know who has their sheet together. In fact, I just read something written by a person on another thread who had a rep of 1 or 2 that was far more insightful than what the rep power of 20-something guy had to say.

Anyway, I find the rep system here very odd - especially in what's mostly an adult environment. I used to throw some around occaisionally just to play along, but it's been several months since I've used it. It's like kids' myspace pages where day's are made or broken by being on someone else's top ten list. It's a virtual popularity contest of sorts. Whatever. It's one of the things I like about hpf.com and ht.com because they don't have it. But some people seem to get off to it and to each their own but it brings a jr. highish element to the board imo.

(I expect and invite negative rep on this post btw)
Well it sounds like it could be useful if used right. And for someone who doesn't believe in the system... you could feed Pac-man (not Jones kids.. the one who is related to this guy) for a month lol... You're just trying to hold us transfers down... REP HOG!!!! lmao/jk... thanks for the explanation.. is there a mathematical formula (ask anyone from the old board i'm a stats nut... i'll find a way to measure the effectiveness of the system haha...)

And hey... if we can teach something about football to some kids... more (rep) power to us hehe...

Mike
Old 07-13-2007   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I may digress:

REP RULEZ, DUDEZ!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

PS-

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #31
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
With our schedule, I believe we can win 5 games this year and be a better team than last year. I say we win 5-7 games this year.

Now, if the planets line up, the moon and sun change places, and Manning and Freeney spend the year on PUP, we could possibly, maybe, almost make the playoffs.
Would you just listen to yourselves?

Has this town gotten so used to losing that we give up on them before Training Camp even starts?

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Come on!

Do you realize that the Texas were very close to a 9-7 record last year?

We lost 3 games with less than 2 minutes to go because the offense couldn't sustain a drive.

With a QB that couldn't avoid a paper sack much less a sack from the opposing defense.

Do you losers actually expect the Houston Texans to go backwards with a "5-7" win season? Geez. Talking about a losing mentality!

NO FREAKING WAY!

The Houston Texans are moving forward. Sure we don't have the sexy players like other teams. However....

The Houston Texans will have a winning record this year!!!!!!!!!!! You can lock it up!!!!

THe Patriots won multiple Super Bowls with Tom Brady (a 6th round draft choice) and a bunch of freaking no names.

No why wonder the Houston Texans and their fans are the laughing stock of the league. This is some tough love folks.

Starting thinking like winners and quit giving up before Training Camp starts.

Quit thinking like losers!!!!!!!

</soapbox>
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #32
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Would you just listen to yourselves?

Has this town gotten so used to losing that we give up on them before Training Camp even starts?

Come on!

We lost 3 games with less than 2 minutes to go because the offense couldn't sustain a drive.

With a QB that couldn't avoid a paper sack much less a sack from the opposing defense.

Do you losers actually expect the Houston Texans to go backwards with a "5-7" win season? Geez. Talking about a losing mentality!

NO FREAKING WAY!

The Houston Texans are moving forward. Sure we don't have the sexy players like other teams. However....

The Houston Texans will have a winning record this year!!!!!!!!!!! You can lock it up!!!!

THe Patriots won multiple Super Bowls with Tom Brady (a 6th round draft choice) and a bunch of freaking no names.

No why wonder the Houston Texans and their fans are the laughing stock of the league. This is some tough love folks.

</soapbox>
Can I put the eye on him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #33
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:

No.
Quote:
Do you also realize that we won 3 games by 3 points or less?

Quote:

NO FREAKING WAY!

Allow me to interject, they are only two years removed from a two win season, and spent most of the off season filling holes with stopgap guys who can play the position while they clear a ton of dead money off the books... please.. go on..
Quote:
I suppose they could have a winning record... I mean the Astros did make a miracle run through the league 3 years running... but lock it up? nah...
Quote:
This is the mantra for every losing franchise... if only it were that simple.
Quote:

</soapbox>
You're right on this point. The Texans aren't the laughing stock of the league because they have 5 losing seasons to go with 1 winning season... oh wait.. make that zero. Its also not because they have made some stupid draft picks... TJ, Babin... and suffered under Casserly and the Pburnt trade. It also wouldn't happen to be because the 4 times we've been on national tv since the cowpies game (I think that's right) we've gotten beaten pretty badly in all but on game... oh and we lost that game too.

I don't think the fans are the laughing stock of the league. If anything the people I talk to that are diehard fans tell me that they are impressed that I'm a fan of the home team. I was an old oilers fan... and then I was a Colts fan and most of my friends know that... once we got a team in Houston I dropped the Colts and am now a full time Texans fan.

As for giving up before training camp... well I don't think I've given up. I think I'm setting a realistic goal and that when the Texans don't make the playoffs, I'll still be here. If the Texans make the playoffs I'll be elated. I'll eat my crow HAPPILY... but so far all I can see is that your reasoning is that the Texans would have won 3 games IF... and IF and IF... something about a paper bag and then because N.E. won with a no name QB (btw he did play at Michigan... but yeah by most NFLers he was pretty unknown).Part of the reason that happened is they've gotten solid play out of both of their lines (no names btw with the exception of the pass rushing de which they don't employ and the occasional LT)...

I'm not bashing anyone who can validate their opinion... and I'm not saying I'm even remotely right.. they COULD go 16-0... I just happen to think that's very very very unlikely.

Mike
Old 07-14-2007   #34
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub - upgrade
Green - upgrade
Okoye - upgrade (from what I can tell)
Oline - Black is good depth
LB - Barber and Clark add good depth
WR - Jacoby and Johnson add depth

We may not have all the shiny pieces yet, but we're building a solid roster.

This team got better this off-season.

And you'll see it on Sundays.
Old 07-14-2007   #35
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
And you'll see it on Sundays.
And on Thursday in December (hopefully for you)

Quote:
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
Old 07-14-2007   #36
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
And on Thursday in December (hopefully for you)
lol

I forgot about that.
Old 07-14-2007   #37
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
[/color]
No.

Do you also realize that we won 3 games by 3 points or less?

Allow me to interject, they are only two years removed from a two win season, and spent most of the off season filling holes with stopgap guys who can play the position while they clear a ton of dead money off the books... please.. go on..

I suppose they could have a winning record... I mean the Astros did make a miracle run through the league 3 years running... but lock it up? nah...

This is the mantra for every losing franchise... if only it were that simple.

You're right on this point. The Texans aren't the laughing stock of the league because they have 5 losing seasons to go with 1 winning season... oh wait.. make that zero. Its also not because they have made some stupid draft picks... TJ, Babin... and suffered under Casserly and the Pburnt trade. It also wouldn't happen to be because the 4 times we've been on national tv since the cowpies game (I think that's right) we've gotten beaten pretty badly in all but on game... oh and we lost that game too.

I don't think the fans are the laughing stock of the league. If anything the people I talk to that are diehard fans tell me that they are impressed that I'm a fan of the home team. I was an old oilers fan... and then I was a Colts fan and most of my friends know that... once we got a team in Houston I dropped the Colts and am now a full time Texans fan.

As for giving up before training camp... well I don't think I've given up. I think I'm setting a realistic goal and that when the Texans don't make the playoffs, I'll still be here. If the Texans make the playoffs I'll be elated. I'll eat my crow HAPPILY... but so far all I can see is that your reasoning is that the Texans would have won 3 games IF... and IF and IF... something about a paper bag and then because N.E. won with a no name QB (btw he did play at Michigan... but yeah by most NFLers he was pretty unknown).Part of the reason that happened is they've gotten solid play out of both of their lines (no names btw with the exception of the pass rushing de which they don't employ and the occasional LT)...

I'm not bashing anyone who can validate their opinion... and I'm not saying I'm even remotely right.. they COULD go 16-0... I just happen to think that's very very very unlikely.

Mike
You go ahead and stare at your empty glass. However, I believe some key positions were upgraded in the offseason and I just don't see this team going backwards. Now if there were no roster changes, I would think like you.

The Texans got rid of the biggest liability back in April. They will win more games this year. No less than 9.

I have been on board going on my 6th season and if I'm still above ground, I'll be around for the 7th.

I could be on the "safe side" and only expect 5 wins so I don't get my hopes up.
Pffffffffffttt!

Winning season, playoff bound in 2007!!!!!!!

You don't have to like it but I'm saying it and I don't tolerate the Capers "marginal improvement" philosophy or a losing attitude.

I'm pretty sure the current coaching staff share that sentiment too.

5-7 wins??? Bahhhhhhh! Patooey!

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 07-14-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #38
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Actually, 5-7 wins is likely before thanksgiving weekend.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2007   #39
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Your right I do see this year and last year as developmental years. Heck, we took two of the youngest players in the last two drafts.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #40
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Super Bowl XLV!

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read