Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-12-2007   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Good Carr article on ESPN

here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...t&lid=tab2pos1

very balanced and is probably the first national article I have read about the whole Carr situation that seems to have had any research done on it. It comes across as being both sympathetic to Carr's situation while with the Texans while being critical of him and his shortcomings. Good read.

This quote from Carr is very indicting of the Texans brass. When asked about why the Texans drafted Mario Williams he said:

Quote:
"People are always going to ask why," Carr says, "and I'm one of those people."
ouch sometimes the truth hurts

I hope Mario reads that quote before every game. Mario's locker needs to have stuff like this pasted all over his locker. He needs some fire.
Old 07-12-2007   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good Carr article on ESPN

Very good article. At times it makes me feel bad for the guy, but he didn't step up like the article says. After 5 years and crap talent to play with though, I'm guessing even if the best of QB's were in the same situation they may have had the same mindset. After reading this article it makes me wonder how good Carr could have been had he had decent coaches from the beginning. What if Kubiak had gotten the job instead of Capers?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article and good find SH.. I agree, the article was a pretty fair and balanced analysis.

On another note, I lurked over at one of the Carolina message boards and didn't see anything about the article....
Old 07-12-2007   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Carr all the best with Carolina.

Interesting note about McNair asking candidates how they would use Bush. Is that substantiated or just speculation? To ask such a question but fail to seal the deal on RB just seems strange to me.

p.s.

Quote:
"People are always going to ask why," Carr says, "and I'm one of those people."
Another strange quote. He was here. He knew about the holdout and how McNair felt about it. It wasn't that long ago. It seems peculiar to bring up the topic in an article devoted to Carr and his mechanics and new team.
Old 07-12-2007   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

that really is a sad story. We often don't even think about the players as people. I wish him all the best in Carolina and hope he does well as long as he isn't playing us.
Old 07-12-2007   #6
petedy
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 petedy seems to be losing the respect of his peers

It is a very good article about how inept Capers and Casserly were for the Texans.I guess Andre was right when he said Carr wasn't taught anything until Kubiak got there.Also the article refers to how Kubiak mislead McNair about his feelings of Carr and how he would use Reggie Bush.Kubiak also mislead Sage about taking control of the team when David was released.The article also showed the friction between Kubiak and Carr.Kubiak's intention was all along planning to unload Carr but played him one season so he could tell McNair he tried to work with Carr but that Carr was to far gone from all the sacks he took and couldn't fix him.
petedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see many different things

1. Mechanics are really important if your OL stinks .

2. Do not draft a QB first if your head coach is defensive minded .

3. Do not draft a QB and throw him into the fire ... that's what Kent Graham was for .

4. I think being to good natured can be a bad thing in sports .

5. It's that believing what you see and knowing your great that seperates QBs ... that he did'nt have or it was knocked out of him .

6. I think Bush would have helped but he would have taken a pounding also . Carr was not good at getting the ball where a player gets it on the run in space .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 07-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2007   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedy View Post
It is a very good article about how inept Capers and Casserly were for the Texans.I guess Andre was right when he said Carr wasn't taught anything until Kubiak got there.Also the article refers to how Kubiak mislead McNair about his feelings of Carr and how he would use Reggie Bush.Kubiak also mislead Sage about taking control of the team when David was released.The article also showed the friction between Kubiak and Carr.Kubiak's intention was all along planning to unload Carr but played him one season so he could tell McNair he tried to work with Carr but that Carr was to far gone from all the sacks he took and couldn't fix him.
You give Kubiak a lot of credit .
Old 07-12-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While Carr was publicly applauded for leading the NFL in completion percentage, his coaches privately dismissed it. According to one former staffer, Kubiak and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman estimated that Carr's panicked progressions cost Johnson at least 500 receiving yards. They exploded on him, berating him in front of teammates. Carr, true to his style, rarely reciprocated with any emotion. But what was once seen as a cool demeanor was now perceived as indifference, which made the coaches angrier. It got so bad that other players in the huddle could hear coaches yelling at Carr through his helmet earpiece. "He never blamed anyone, he never pointed the finger," says Texans left tackle Eric Winston. "But it would be impossible for it not to wear on him."
good dude...lousy QB. I hope he gets it together. He has all the body you want in a NFL QB.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Carr, true to his style, rarely reciprocated with any emotion. But what was once seen as a cool demeanor was now perceived as indifference
indifference , the lack of emotion, motivation, or enthusiasm; a psychological term for a state of indifference .

I guess it was time for a break .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 07-12-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak had all the right answers. Kubiak even told McNair he was sure the Texans could win a Super Bowl with Carr as their quarterback. So McNair picked up Carr's $8 million option."
Excellect story in general, but I would take exception with this critical segment of the authors account of how it all went down.
Kubiak may have said he could win with Carr because he realized that's what McNair wanted to hear rather than a frank opinion, but I tend to agree with the version that says McNair had a predisposition about what call to make on Carr's option and didn't make it on the basis of Kubiaks opinion.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I wish Carr all the best with Carolina.

Interesting note about McNair asking candidates how they would use Bush. Is that substantiated or just speculation? To ask such a question but fail to seal the deal on RB just seems strange to me.

p.s.

Another strange quote. He was here. He knew about the holdout and how McNair felt about it. It wasn't that long ago. It seems peculiar to bring up the topic in an article devoted to Carr and his mechanics and new team.
No he wasn't. He's admitted that he never worked out in the off season unless he had to in mini or training camps.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
good dude...lousy QB. I hope he gets it together. He has all the body you want in a NFL QB.
I agree.

Great article.

One thing that some people said before his release and I'm starting to see a little of now in his quotes is a little immaturity. You can tell he enjoys throwing out the zingers, etc and I think he still skirts some of his own responsibility. Overall though I hope we are all in better shape.
Old 07-12-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedy View Post
.Also the article refers to how Kubiak mislead McNair about his feelings of Carr and how he would use Reggie Bush.
I've let my feelings about this situation be known for a while:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't think Kubiak ever believed Carr to be a good QB, capable of taking this team to the next level....

I think the reason that Kubiak left Carr in even when it was evident that we played better with Sage, was because he wanted to showcase what Carr could do and he did nothing...

I think the main person that needed to be convinced David was not the QB for us was Mr. Mcnair...By leaving David in and putting pressure on him it showed his inability to respond...

No more questions about it; he isn't that good...time to move on...
Old 07-12-2007   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
They exploded on him, berating him in front of teammates. Carr, true to his style, rarely reciprocated with any emotion. But what was once seen as a cool demeanor was now perceived as indifference, which made the coaches angrier. It got so bad that other players in the huddle could hear coaches yelling at Carr through his helmet earpiece. "He never blamed anyone, he never pointed the finger," says Texans left tackle Eric Winston. "But it would be impossible for it not to wear on him."
It's noteworthy that (according to this guy's source), Carr maintained his demeanor, and yet the perception of that demeanor changed.

And the quote from Winston is really why I cut Carr some slack. The game of football is so team-oriented and intertwined that no one player can affect the game to the degree that Carr would have had to. The team around him was a combination of bad and injured, and Carr took it all with style.

Yeah, he has his lumps, and he certainly doesn't have his mind right. But I always think back to that first season and remember the throws he would make and try, and those things were just beaten out of him over the years. The Texans are more responsible for where DC is right now (mentally) than he is, IMO. That doesn't change where he is, however.
Old 07-12-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
One thing that some people said before his release and I'm starting to see a little of now in his quotes is a little immaturity. You can tell he enjoys throwing out the zingers,
Pretty mild zingers, if you ask me. He has a lot of legitimate complaints with the team, just as the team had with him. I think he is remarkably restrained, but I guess for those that hate all things Carr, that would be indifference again. Immaturity if he says anything, indifference if he doesn't.

My opinion is the early sacks hurt Carr, and his reactions to them hurt himself even more. He couldn't mentally overcome the past as the team improved.

There were many things I thought he could done, especially while the Capers crew was still here and Carr was still the golden boy, even with the fans. I thought this is where his lack of "leadership" showed itself. When the plays started getting repetitive and simple at the end of 2004, he should have changed them in the huddle. Lots of players would have supported that. When Pendry gave Riley the left tackle job in 2005, Carr should have demanded a change. Everyone could see Riley wasn't up to it on the field, although Pendry liked wielding the power. The players aren't blind; when Riley was on pace to give up 28 sacks or whatever after the first 2-3 games and still starting, they probably realized Palmer wasn't the problem coach. That season went into the tank, early and deep.

There are a lot of players on the Texans who think "why Mario". They just won't throw a teammate under the bus. Dunta may have said a few things about Carr, but generally the team has been more restrained.
Old 07-12-2007   #17
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
According to one former staffer, Kubiak and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman estimated that Carr's panicked progressions cost Johnson at least 500 receiving yards.
Holy crap.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I can sum all this up in two words.

Carr's garbage.

Old 07-12-2007   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy View Post
Quote:
According to one former staffer, Kubiak and offensive coordinator Mike Sherman estimated that Carr's panicked progressions cost Johnson at least 500 receiving yards.
Holy crap.
So I guess we can count on an extra 500 yards from Andre this year, just as a baseline. Other improvements in the offense should net even more. I can't wait!
Old 07-12-2007   #20
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 106842 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone posted this link in the comments section of the ESPN article:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

(I hope it was someone from this board.)

Now I'm pumped for the season!

When's Training Camp? lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read