Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2007   #1
devoc
Rookie

Default Texans vs Cowboys Running Styles

Now lately there have been teams to use the dual back running system and make it work , think about it saves the "vets" or your primary back from fatigue in critical times, and it worked for many teams last year including:

Cowboys:Barber,Jones
Redskins:Betts,Portis
Bears:Benson,Jones
Giants:Barber,Jones
Saints:Bush,Mcallister
Colts:Rhodes,Addai
Jacksonville:Jones,Drew-Jones

All of these match ups made a big contribution to there teams running game and offensive schemes, and the crazy part about it is that the cowboys have two mediocre backs that put up 1738 yards and 18td together, and looking and our running back depth now i seriously feel that our team can match that or even do produce better than the cowboys if we ran a dual back system.

Tell me what yall think
devoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #2
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP
Default Re: Texans vs Cowboys Running Styles

the cowboy's two mediocre backs complimented each other pretty well. I also think Marion Barber is the real deal, if you watch him run even though he's not too big, he just finds little cracks and creases and keeps his legs pumping. Even though he was mainly a goal line back he averaged about 5 yards a pop. If he were a feature back that avg would go down because if his lack of breakaway speed, but i really liked marion barber last year (he was also on my FF team)

I hope green and dayne compliment each other in a similar way, if so then we could finally have a feared running game.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #3
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
the cowboy's two mediocre backs complimented each other pretty well. I also think Marion Barber is the real deal
Contradiction alert.
Old 07-12-2007   #4
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Contradiction alert.
I think he is, but most people dont, at least not yet.
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
I think he is, but most people dont, at least not yet.
Just messin with ya...I kinda figured that's what you were saying...
Old 07-13-2007   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, apparetly the key to success is having a back or two named Jones.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Well, apparetly the key to success is having a back or two named Jones.
Or a last name that starts with the letter 'B'.
Old 07-14-2007   #8
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

i like our backfield. a few versatile backs with an up the middle bruiser type number 2. it resembles the Parker Bettis period in Pittsburg.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Green and Dayne will have to compliment eachother if we're to have success this year. Green isn't old, but he's definently seasoned. Asking him to take 25 carries a game for 16 games isn't feasable or smart. Much like the Cowboys, on 3rd and short or goaline situations Dayne should get some solid reps.

It seems like using the two-back offense is the way to go these days. It's a long season, so keeping your star back fresh is always a good idea.
Old 07-16-2007   #10
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoc View Post
Cowboys:Barber,Jones
Redskins:Betts,Portis
Bears:Benson,Jones
Giants:Barber, Jacobs
Saints:Bush,Mcallister
Colts:Rhodes,Addai
Jacksonville:Taylor, Jones-Drew
There ya go.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I did a writeup on this before the boards merged/changed or whatever happened... There are several reasons that I think it works, but over the last 10 years or so nobody has won the SB and the Rushing title in forever. The closest was Lewis with Balt.. but especially recently the trend has been that two back systems fare better. I hypothesized that it is for two main reasons. The RB's are fresh all year & they spend usually about 60/70% of the amount of money on the two backs as they did a "franchise" rb who had comparable production.

Of course the argument against it is that the teams who have a designated "every down" back are able to disguise what they are doing.

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read