Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-10-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default amobi okoye video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZcgGuuqz1Q

Nike Rookie Football Class 2007 Pro Football Draft NFL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: amobi okoye video

They bring up an interesting point towards the end of the video about his sudden jump in production. Either that is him coming into his own and learning the nuances of the game at 19, or he was playing over his head for 1 year and rode a lot of hype and attention to the NFL. I hope it is the first. Also, it seems he sometimes does not get a great jump, but when he does, good things happen. His hands are strong and he uses them well, but his motor did not look that great in this video.
Old 07-29-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I must have downloaded the wrong youtube video no game tape? All I saw where meaningless halfass drills, a photo shoot & individual interview.

Having watched him actually practice in scrimmages & live games I really think he can play DE in the NFL. I know nobody wants to hear that but its really a good thing for starters your ends should be your playmakers on the DL, they get bigger contracts, are drafted higher & get more sacks. I hope the Texans learned from last year (Mario Williams) put him in his natural position & let him develop into the player he can be. bookends of Mario & Amobi would be feared have no doubt about that. If I remember right Amobi came into the Senior bowl a very cut, lean 285 was very quick with both his hands & feet showing power & finesse moves rushing the QB & thats the main reason he shot up the draft boards. This would force teams to run the middle collapsing the pocket filled by DeMeco Ryans & Co.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I must have downloaded the wrong youtube video no game tape? All I saw where meaningless halfass drills, a photo shoot & individual interview.

Having watched him actually practice in scrimmages & live games I really think he can play DE in the NFL. I know nobody wants to hear that but its really a good thing for starters your ends should be your playmakers on the DL, they get bigger contracts, are drafted higher & get more sacks. I hope the Texans learned from last year (Mario Williams) put him in his natural position & let him develop into the player he can be. bookends of Mario & Amobi would be feared have no doubt about that. If I remember right Amobi came into the Senior bowl a very cut, lean 285 was very quick with both his hands & feet showing power & finesse moves rushing the QB & thats the main reason he shot up the draft boards. This would force teams to run the middle collapsing the pocket filled by DeMeco Ryans & Co.

I have not really seen him in scrimages or practice, so all I can on is what I saw at the senior bowl and Louisville games. I believe he can be a great DT, but I would not be averse to playing him at DE. Honestly, I just want to have the best players in their best spots.

Just thinking ouloud if we put Amobe at DT our starters might look like this:

Weaver Okoye Maddox Mario

If we put Amobe at DE we might have

Okoye T. Johnson Maddox Mario

I think I prefer having Amobe at DT right now. Our DT depth isnt too great and we have several possible DEs. Weaver and Babin can both play DE and if Amobe can put pressure through the DT spot(the way Tommie Harris does for the Bears) everyone will get sacks and our Dline will be feared. Remember the Bear front line wasnt feared until they got a fearsome DT like Tommie.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I have not really seen him in scrimages or practice, so all I can on is what I saw at the senior bowl and Louisville games. I believe he can be a great DT, but I would not be averse to playing him at DE. Honestly, I just want to have the best players in their best spots.

Just thinking ouloud if we put Amobe at DT our starters might look like this:

Weaver Okoye Maddox Mario

If we put Amobe at DE we might have

Okoye T. Johnson Maddox Mario

I think I prefer having Amobe at DT right now. Our DT depth isnt too great and we have several possible DEs. Weaver and Babin can both play DE and if Amobe can put pressure through the DT spot(the way Tommie Harris does for the Bears) everyone will get sacks and our Dline will be feared. Remember the Bear front line wasnt feared until they got a fearsome DT like Tommie.
Weaver can play DT. He never played DE in a 4-3 before coming to Houston. Nonetheless, I say keep Okoye where he feels comfortable, at least for his rookie year. Didn't we discuss this ad nauseum with Mario last year?
Old 07-30-2007   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Weaver can play DT. He never played DE in a 4-3 before coming to Houston. Nonetheless, I say keep Okoye where he feels comfortable, at least for his rookie year. Didn't we discuss this ad nauseum with Mario last year?
Hmm. Yeah, I have a feeling, Weaver might not be around in a year or so. So maybe we put Amobe at DT and then groom him to eventually start opposite Matio. Then again, a dominant disruptive DT would tremendously help, so maybe we leave him right where he is.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Weaver can play DT.
Enthusiastically Signed,

Brian Westbrook and the Philadelphia Eagles O-line
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2007   #8
real

I'd leave amobi at DT...

Nothing is more disruptive to a QB than push right up the middle straight into his lap..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read