Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2007   #1
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bethel Johnson signed

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4953389.html

Bethel Johnson to a deal Monday.

Johnson, 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, will add another kick returner to the Texans' roster as well as a speedy target for quarterback Matt Schaub.

Does this mean Mathis is a goner?
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Bethel Johnson signed

Was just about to make this thread...

Don't know what it means for Mathis but it's definitely not a positive for him..
Old 07-09-2007   #3
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to see some speed added to the WR Corps. Too bad we still have AJ and a bunch of 3rd WRs/Slot Guys and no real number 2.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Red face Re: Bethel Johnson signed

Hopefully he can make the team. I like the speed. Hey if it works out we will have Johnson&Johnson.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just throwing another body at the problem and hoping for something.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to have another Aggie on the team. Naturally, I like the signing, so long as the price was right (which it was, I am sure).
Old 07-09-2007   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Houston Texans, home away from home (Texas A & M)
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2007   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis should not be cut before training camp unless a medical report rules him out. He should be treated like any other injured player especially one going to the pro bowl the last season he played (2 years ago).
Old 07-09-2007   #9
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Just throwing another body at the problem and hoping for something.

::: SIGH ::: sadly that is all we ever do. CAN'T, WON'T spend the money on good young players. I just hope that we get some good out of our rookies this next year.
Old 07-09-2007   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Mathis should not be cut before training camp unless a medical report rules him out. He should be treated like any other injured player especially one going to the pro bowl the last season he played (2 years ago).
Saving a roster spot for a Special Teamer who made the Pro Bowl two years ago, during his rookie year, is not a strong value proposition to keep him in my opinon. The more I chew on this, the more I would be behind his release should he be unable to perform at the same level as a KR, and as a viable WR.
Old 07-09-2007   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Saving a roster spot for a Special Teamer who made the Pro Bowl two years ago, during his rookie year, is not a strong value proposition to keep him in my opinon. The more I chew on this, the more I would be behind his release should he be unable to perform at the same level as a KR, and as a viable WR.
Kubiak has said that he isn't going to assume anyone whose been injured is coming back from that injury. There was some of that going on last year, and it bit them in the posterior.

So, he's making it hard to make the team by creating more competition in camp.

That is an obvious change from last year. What I want to know is what steps they are taking to reduce the numbers on IR. They said in the offseason they were going to look at that issue, but I never heard what things if any, they are doing about that.
Old 07-09-2007   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting signing. I know they wanted another veteran who has seen NFL action. I bet this rules out McCardell signing here now.

As interesting as i thought the 3rd RB battle would be WR might well end up being just as good. Davis is looking to regain form again. Walters has a slight edge from the little showcasing time he got last year. Mathis should be healthy enough to compete. Johnson adds some intrigue to the group now. Oh yeah we drafted Jacoby Jones who no doubt will make the roster one way or another. This could not bode well for a guy like David Anderson.

Anyone know if we'll carry 4 or 5 receivers on the roster?

RK and PR will be interesting too. If Mathis is healthy he should be in... I don't think we'd release him before TC. That'd just be stupid, if he's healthy, to deny him a shot at least. It won't take him long to find a home either after we release him. I just hope he stays out of our division if that comes true.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
::: SIGH ::: sadly that is all we ever do. CAN'T, WON'T spend the money on good young players. I just hope that we get some good out of our rookies this next year.
Let me be fair to the Texans. If you have limited funds (not discussing the why at the moment) there really is not another legitiamte way to improving your squad. Not predicting this for the Texans, but the 1st Patriots Superbowl winner had a ton of these no name signings where the staff there was better at placing people in the correct roles than other teams. If the 2006 regular season is any indication, the current administration seems to have good feel for doing similiar things with lower level signings.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #14
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all don't seen to be too happy about this signing, but don't kid yourself, Bethel Johnson has some skills. Granted, being an Aggie, I've followed his career and have been disapointed so far. But, if he applies himself, he could easily make this team and be a solid contributer.

If nothing else, Mathis will have to look over his shoulder this Spring.

Last edited by Hagar; 07-09-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #15
real

I like the signing...

I think the guy has some skills and can make some plays for us. I also like the fact that he played a role for a superbowl winning team...Despite the over-stated factor of experience, I truly believe his experience will rub off on a couple of guys....He knows about being an underdog and winning...He knows about being on a team that knows how to consistently put up W's....He didn't have a great role on those Patriot teams, but he's atleast been around it enough to know what it takes, and what things to steer clear of...
Old 07-09-2007   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Who should they have signed this past offseason? Oh yeah let me add that this is Smith's first full year with the team and there was not much cap room because so doofus over spent or players.
Old 07-09-2007   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis should be worried.

If Bethel can be a viable KR/PR and have the ability to play WR, Mathis will be gone. Mathis needs to stay healthy and contribute as a wideout to make this team. Jacoby alone makes it hard on Mathis to keep his job, now there's 2.

I like Mathis and I hope he has been practicing his route running and recieving skills.

I like the added competition. Maybe this can make our herd of number 3's play hard and someone becomes a real number 2.
Old 07-09-2007   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

There's nothing to not like about this signing. Nothing was given up to get him and he's cheap. We definitely have the best competition at the WR spot in our short history.

I think we need to keep everything in perspective. Remember that we opened last season with Edell Sheperd and Derrick Lewis active at WR. And our kick returners were a mix between those 2 guys with Roc Alexander, Wali Lundy and Dexter Wynn. B. Johnson is a huge upgrade over all of those guys.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Who should they have signed this past offseason? Oh yeah let me add that this is Smith's first full year with the team and there was not much cap room because so doofus over spent or players.
Well... let's look at the top of the 2007 WR FA class...

Stallworth
Lelie
Stokely
Curtis
Bennett
Washington

We went after Lelie who ended up getting overpaid in SF. The other guys are average at best and were all overpaid by another team.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard for me to post this (an Aggie thing), but I remember some of this baggage about Bethel Johnson from before:
Quote:
Johnson served primarily a speed specialist for the Patriots. He was known for several long-range diving catches, as well as two kick returns for touchdowns. In 2004 & 2005, he won the Super Bowl with the New England Patriots

He was traded to the Saints on June 5, 2006 for defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, who was drafted sixth overall by the Saints in 2003. [2] Johnson was criticized in New England for his ego and his work ethic. And Saints coach Sean Payton questioned Johnson's "conditioning, his stamina and endurance" during the preseason. [3]

Johnson was cut from the Saints before the 2006 regular season began after injuring his knee in a preseason game and then was signed by the Minnesota Vikings on October 10th, 2006.[4]

On March 8, 2007 he signed a one year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. He was released on June 5th after he failed a physical
Link:
Bethel_Johnson

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read