Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who has the most disappointing season?
Matt Schaub 7 15.22%
DeMeco Ryans 3 6.52%
Ahman Green 18 39.13%
Dunta Robinson 14 30.43%
Andre Johnson 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Most Disappointing Player of the Year is....

All of these guys must have very good years if the Texans are going to make the playoffs. I didn't want to vote for anyone because I think all of these guys will have great years, but since it's my poll and I have to vote, it goes to Ahman Green due to his recent bouts with injuries.

Matt Schaub: First year starter under a new coach and technically a new system. Expectations are high, so it won't be hard to disappoint.

DeMeco Ryans: It would be easy to disappoint after such a good rookie season.

Ahman Green: Will he be the Batman of old or is he this year's Eric Moulds?

Dunta Robinson: Has yet to live up to his rookie year. If he plays poor to average again this year is it time to start looking for a franchise cover corner?

Andre Johson: AJ always has a lot of catches but few big plays or TD's. In my opinion he has to become a gamebreaker this year (e.g. Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens) or it will be a disappointing year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Most Disappointing Player of the Year is....

I'd go Green. He's been worn down by the Packers, and with no legit 2nd WR, he will see a ton of catches. Probably produce well for the first six games, then end up beat up or out.

Schaub would be 2nd, simply for the fact that their is so much preasure on him not to suck than any screw up will look huge.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I debated between Ahman Green and Dunta, voted for Dunta. I don't think Kubiak will let Ahman get to the point of being broken down by the 6th game. We have pretty adequate backups in Gado, Dayne, Lundy, Leach, and Cook, depending on who makes the roster. Not so with CBs. Faggins and Dunta got burned WAY to many times last year. Dexter McCleon is mediocre at best, IMHO, and Fred Bennett is unproven. I realize Faggins was coming off an injury and probably wasn't 100%, but, Dunta just didn't seem to have the heart last year. He either kicks it up a notch or two, or he will prove to be a major disappointment.

AJ will NOT disappoint! PERIOD!! It's just not in his makeup to give anything less than 10000%. He and Matt will become one of the most fearless duo's in the NFL. JMO!! Tremendous amount of natural talent between the two. With our improved D, Memo will have a probowl year! His leadership abilities and talent on the DL will put our D in the top 10 next year.

Here's to a GREAT year!! I can't wait!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub. He might be good eventually, but people are expecting to much. His stats will be much like Carr's, perhaps a little better.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #5
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I would have to agree with Ryans as the potentially most dissappointing, with a rookie year like he had it will be hard to beat. Although most of the change will probably be statwise, wich doesnt allways tell the true story.
Old 07-07-2007   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Where's the "none" option? I can't really see any of these players really having that disappointing of a season, but I guess Ahman Green has the most potential to have a disappointing season.
Old 07-07-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in none of the above too...I think those guys listed will all have good years. I think the place that will have the most potential disappointment is in either line. We now have a defensive line littered with first round choices and the offensive line should have some continuity since they have been together for more than just a few games now....this is the area that I see the biggest potential land mines.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Ahman Green. It was a difficult decision, though.

With Demeco, there's a possibility of a sophomore slump. After the comments that Dunta made about Carr, he really needs to step up. I'm one of the people who expects a lot from Schaub and if he plays similar to Carr, then I will be very disappointed. AJ had a big year last year and he could come back to earth this year.

But with Green, there's a lot of talk about him being the best back we've ever had. And in the past, he has been very productive. But he IS 30 years old and although backs have been more durable lately if they've kept themselves in shape, 30 is still getting up there for a RB. He's also got a little history as a fumbler. And I think we all know how Kubiak feels about fumblers. And then there's his health.

So, I think there are a lot of expectations with Green but there are also a lot of possible problems.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't remember which link from the Chronicle web site has it, and I'm not a big McClain fan, but he said on on of the sound bite links that D-Ryans appeared to actually be the most improved player on the team in OTAs. That's really saying something after what he did last year.

I voted for (against, actually) Dunta here. I'm still not convinced that D-Rob is a legitimate #1 corner, especially without the right safeties back there helping him. His first and best season was accomplished as a #2 corner. He's definitely a starter though--no doubt about that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the above is my choice.

If I had to choose from all the players, I'd put TJ and Backstreet Boyz Babin up there, simply because I think one has no drive and the other is just going to get beat out by better DE's.
Old 07-07-2007   #11
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any of those guys will disappoint.

I worry that Mathis will average 40+ yards per return for a couple of games, and then we'll hear he pulled a hammy on an escalator or while walking his dog and will be IRed.

That will disappoint.
Old 07-07-2007   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends on what you mean by disappointing. If you mean worst year based on what the Texans are paying him, I'll go with Ahman Green. They gave this guy a huge amount of money for a 30+ year old running back. There is no way Green earns all that money. Personally, I won't be disappointed because I don't think he's going to do anything anyway.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if Dunta doesn't step up his play and be a major factor in the backfield. I thought he showed some leadership at the end of 2006 and I expect great things from him this year.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think is DeMeco sees a dropoff, it will actually be a good sign. If one guy is making most of the tackles and plays, it usually means that the rest of the defense sucks.
Old 07-07-2007   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I think is DeMeco sees a dropoff, it will actually be a good sign. If one guy is making most of the tackles and plays, it usually means that the rest of the defense sucks.
I partially agree. Most times the player with the most tackles is your Mike. Look at the strong Baltimore Ravens or Chicago Bears D's of years gone by. Most prolific tackler is either Ray Ray or Mr. Urlacher. I think what will end up happening is that Teams will run away from Mario(as seen last year) and away from Amobe's side(as his run D improves). The only place left would be to Maddox's side. This will be in front of Demeco and I expect him to clean up. However, I still expect his numbers to fall somewhat, but still lead the team and possibly be in contention for leading the league as well.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #15
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

The mike needs to pick up the most tackles, but if one guy is throwing up 150 tackles by himself, it usually it means he isn't getting much help.

Of course, your FS leading the team in tackles is always a bad thing
Old 07-07-2007   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The mike needs to pick up the most tackles, but if one guy is throwing up 150 tackles by himself, it usually it means he isn't getting much help.

Of course, your FS leading the team in tackles is always a bad thing
Oh yeah a FS is a BAD BAD thing. But one guy putting up a bunch of tackles does not mean his teammates aren't helping. Not neccesarily at all. I present to you my adopted NFC team: The Chicago bears: in terms of total tackles Mr. Urlacher had 141 and Mr. Briggs had 130. Look at Indy; June had 142, teamate Brackett had 120. How about the Tacks: Bullock 143, Hope 121, Thonton 107. It is possible to get a bunch of tackles, and get lots of help. Sadly the best Texans D could give Meco was Greenwood at 109.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Shouldn't Mario be on the list, he has a lot of pressure to pull off a big year by everyone.

But I think everyone of those guys will have a good year at least.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

NONE OF THE ABOVE! Come on man, what kind of poll is this?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

guess if we have to vote on "who has the least improvement"

demeco (due to mario and okoye will take away his tackles)

how can Shaub be disappointing he only has attempted 161 passes in 4 years..unless of course his stats aren't as good as......
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Oh yeah a FS is a BAD BAD thing. But one guy putting up a bunch of tackles does not mean his teammates aren't helping. Look at Indy; June had 142, teamate Brackett had 120. How about the Tacks: Bullock 143, Hope 121, Thonton 107. It is possible to get a bunch of tackles, and get lots of help. Sadly the best Texans D could give Meco was Greenwood at 109.
and sucked against the run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Shouldn't Mario be on the list, he has a lot of pressure to pull off a big year by everyone.

But I think everyone of those guys will have a good year at least.
exactly.. should be top of the list
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read