Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-06-2007   #1
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 73923 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

Mon, Jul 2, 2007By Covers.com staff

Odds to win the 2007-2008 NFL Rookie of the Year:

Calvin Johnson +400
Adrian Peterson +600
Marshawn Lynch +700
JaMarcus Russell +750
Joe Thomas +1100
Brady Quinn +1100
Dwayne Bowe +1100
Dwayne Jarrett +1300
Craig Davis +1300
LaRon Landry +1300
Patrick Willis +1300
Steve Smith +1300
Ted Ginn Jr. +1300
Sidney Rice +1600
Gaines Adams +1600
Greg Olsen +1600
Anthony Spencer +1600
Anthony Gonzalez +1600
Leon Hall +1900
Jarvis Moss +1900
Robert Meachem +1900
Michael Griffin +2100
Paul Posluszny +2100
Lawrence Timmons +2100
Jamaal Anderson +2100
Brandon Jackson +2100
Brian Leonard +2100
Reggie Nelson +2300
Amobi Okoye +2600
Brandon Merriweathe +3100
Jon Beason +3100
LaMarr Woodley +3100
Field (Any Other Player) +750

http://www.covers.com/articles/artic...?theArt=143333

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #2
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

A Detroit Receiver winning offensive ROY...... I think I have heard that before...
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

DROY - Patrick Willis -

Defense was shaky at times last year but the offense showed life. Tehy added secondary help and this kid can flat out play. Will have his hands full in that division though with Shaun Alexander, Edge, and Stephen Jackson.

OROY- Dwayne Jarrett -

Might be a bit out on a limb here with this one. But Panthers don't have any other second options that i know of at WR. He'll see a lot of PT for that reason early on. Great complimentary receiver to Steve Smith's game.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

OROTY: Calvin Johnson. Can't go wrong with a WR in a Mike Martz system. Mark Furrey got 1000 yards!

DROTY: Lawrence Timmons. The pass rushing LB in Pitt's system will always put up good numbers.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #5
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
OROY- Dwayne Jarrett -

Might be a bit out on a limb here with this one. But Panthers don't have any other second options that i know of at WR. He'll see a lot of PT for that reason early on. Great complimentary receiver to Steve Smith's game.
But Carolina doesn't have ANY QB's that can get the ball to a WR.....
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
What in the world are you talking about? They have the guy we should never have let go.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Jake Delhomme has been averaging 23 TD's a year since he as been a starter at Carolina and he has completed 60% of his passes.....he's a pretty good starter if he is healthy and has protection.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2007   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Jake Delhomme has been averaging 23 TD's a year since he as been a starter at Carolina and he has completed 60% of his passes.....he's a pretty good starter if he is healthy and has protection.
I was going to say I don't know why people insist on throwing the guy under the bus. He's been a pretty productive starter there and IMO the problem has been having someone solid consistently across from Steve Smith. Jarrett fills the void well and is a big receiver who could go up for the ball in the endzone. I just think of all the rookies he's going to be put in a good situation where he can put up some good number and make an immediate impact.

Calvin is going to get his no doubt though. Prolly more TD's then Lions wins.
Old 07-07-2007   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
DROY - Patrick Willis -

Defense was shaky at times last year but the offense showed life. Tehy added secondary help and this kid can flat out play. Will have his hands full in that division though with Shaun Alexander, Edge, and Stephen Jackson.

OROY- Dwayne Jarrett -

I am going with patrick Willis too. He reminds me of Meco.
I thought about Peterson but will take Lynch. Rb is pretty much a plug in position and Lynch can run and catch. There is no other back in Buffalo(Peterson will split with Chester in Minne like Bush split with Deuce) and they will need to handoff and toss him the ball a lot. He can rack up a ton of yards and thats what people will see when voting.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm thinking Woodley will have a good shot at winning DROY honors, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Willis, Spencer, or Beason get it either.

As far as the OROY I think Brandon Jackson has a pretty good chance of giving Peterson some good competition for the award if he wins the starting job for the Packers. However, I think Peterson will walk away with the award in the end.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #11
Il_Bruno
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Il_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVPIl_Bruno was voted MVP

the thing about petterson is he's in a timeshare with chester taylor, and while he has a ton of talent taylor has proved himself, and he also proved he could handle quite a load as well (he did wear down towards the end of the year, but he was carrying the vikings offense). If petterson were in more of a lead role then i think it would almost be a runaway in his favor though.

Im liking lynch a lot this year, but i cant see how calvin johnson doesnt put up some numbers across from roy williams. If that o-line can hold for even a little bit one of them should be open
Il_Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

mario williams will be rookie of the year (he came out early last year)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

As much upside as CJ has, its difficult to see him outshing Roy Williams as a rookie since Williams, a tremendous talent in his own right, wiil be a 4th year vet this year in the NFL.
Barring injury, Adriane Peterson is the guy to watch IMO. I dunno, how many
years since a running back with this guys talent has come in the league ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

last year? :P
Old 07-08-2007   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive Rookie of the Year has lost its luster due to the award being given to QB Vince Young last year instead of a much more deserving RB Maurice Jones-Drew or WR Marques Colston.

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 07-08-2007 at 04:35 PM.
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #16
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: NFL Rookie of the Year: Outright odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Offensive Rookie of the Year has lost its luster due to the award being given to QB Vince Young last year instead of a much more deserving RB Maurice Jones-Drew or WR Marques Colston.
Maybe I'd just still annoyed, but I agree with you entirely.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #17
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Bruno View Post
the thing about petterson is he's in a timeshare with chester taylor, and while he has a ton of talent taylor has proved himself, and he also proved he could handle quite a load as well (he did wear down towards the end of the year, but he was carrying the vikings offense). If petterson were in more of a lead role then i think it would almost be a runaway in his favor though.
I'm thinking Peterson takes Taylor's job from him by week 6 at the latest. I don't think Brad Childress will be able to keep the guy off the field any longer than that. Taylor is a good back, but on most teams he'd be a solid #2 or 3rd down type of back. Not trying to take anything away from Chester, but Peterson has the talent and instincts to be an every down type of back and a player you build your franchise around.

It will probably end up being some no name late round pick who emerges as a star & wins the OROY.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pulling for Jacoby Jones (ROY) & Amobi Okoye (DROY)

have two rookies from the same team ever won before? probably not, but both come into great situations. Amobi should benefit from the extra year of expereince & improved health of Mario Williams, not to mention the d-line was virtually played like musical chairs. Jacoby should benefit greatly by the addition of Schaub, a more diverse offensive attack & the #2 WR position his for the taking

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Levi Brown may turn some heads. From what I've heard, he's tearing it up and handling the job very well up in Arizona. Good enough for them to make some adjustments and cuts to their line. Milford Brown was cut I believe and the competition between Oliver and Levi has been outstanding up to this point. Neither has the inside track and that's how good it is. If Levi takes the job and does it, I think he just very well may be the OROY. For some reason offensive linemen have been getting some much needed attention and recognition for their efforts in running a football team. People are beginning to understand just how important they are to the success of a NFL team.

For what it's worth, I never felt that the Texans should have taken Levi Brown. I was one who felt that he was being overvalued and would have been a reach at #10 if he were available.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I think that Levi Brown may turn some heads. From what I've heard, he's tearing it up and handling the job very well up in Arizona. Good enough for them to make some adjustments and cuts to their line. Milford Brown was cut I believe and the competition between Oliver and Levi has been outstanding up to this point. Neither has the inside track and that's how good it is. If Levi takes the job and does it, I think he just very well may be the OROY. For some reason offensive linemen have been getting some much needed attention and recognition for their efforts in running a football team. People are beginning to understand just how important they are to the success of a NFL team.

For what it's worth, I never felt that the Texans should have taken Levi Brown. I was one who felt that he was being overvalued and would have been a reach at #10 if he were available.
I like your thinking! Way to think outside the box!

However, I must disagree with you. Levi brown will not win the OROY award. Marcus McNeil had about as good a year as anyone could have at LT and he finished a distant 4th in the OROY voting. The reason is that he doesn't play a "sexy position". If you don't hear about him, that probably means he is doing his job. Whereas the guy I picked(Lynch) plays as a RB and basically has every opportunity to win it. People see him catchng the ball, and running the ball, but they rarley see the Big Uglies up front doing the dirty work.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read