Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-06-2007   #1
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anthony Maddox to start beside Amobi

http://www.kffl.com/team/18/NFL

"Carmine Pirone, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans DT Anthony Maddox is expected to start at one of the defensive tackle positions this season."

Not a shock, but it's still good to have some solid information, especially in the off-season.

Also, a nice read about Maddox on the Texans site...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3393

Maddox is one of the guys that I specifically watched for last year. He definitely made a big splash, especially by the end of the year. Hopefully he will continue to improve and, with the help of Super Mario and Obi Won Okoye, create the dominant D-line that we have all dreamt about!

Old 07-06-2007   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anthony Maddox to start beside Amobi

The front side of our defense is pretty solid. Teams are going to have a tough time running against our defense. I predict our run defense to be top 10 next year.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

That does make things look ok for the moment, but im not going to go as far as saying top 10 yet, although Akoye has alot of upside, we are yet to see what he can do in the NFL, as is the same with Mario, he hasn't shown us consitantly that he is a dominant defensive end, yes we have seen flashes, however to be a top ten run stuffing defence, we need consistency.

Yes the pieces of the puzzle are coming into place, but they are far from the finished jigsaw.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 103457 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Way to go TJ...*cough*scrub*cough*

Way to go Maddox - Guys like you are why we watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
The front side of our defense is pretty solid. Teams are going to have a tough time running against our defense. I predict our run defense to be top 10 next year.
I think that Okoye will have trouble against the run for at least the first couple years.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #6
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be fun watching this line come together. Finally we have a line that we are comfortable with.
TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #7
real

I had a dream last night that Mario was going to be a beast...
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2007   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

If the season starts that way, it would be a great success story for the team finding a street free agent.

Definitely not a success story for various first round picks and big dollar free agents on the d-line.

The trend may be up - we'll have to see what data points this season generates.
Old 07-06-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77713 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Babin starting or can he join TJ and Carr on the bust train?
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Is Babin starting or can he join TJ and Carr on the bust train?
Babin will be a situational pass rushing DE. I'm not sure I'd pin the bust tag on Babin. Sure, he's been an average player, but not a bust. I consider a bust to be someone who is unable to perform at the NFL level. IMO,Babin has done decent in the NFL. It's not his fault CC did what he did in order to get him. Personally, I think Babin will have his best season this year.

Now TJ on the other hand, has been subpar at best. I'm not sure what to think of him. He might be in the rotation, but I think Kubiak/Smith will get rid of him as soon as it's not such a financial kick in the pants.
Old 07-06-2007   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77713 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, if you are a first rounder and your still just a situational player after 4 years (I think) you are a bust. Babin gets a bigger bust label because we basically gave up half the draft to get him.

That loss of picks, coupled with the P-Burnt trade after that set back the franchise for years.
Old 07-06-2007   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO, if you are a first rounder and your still just a situational player after 4 years (I think) you are a bust. Babin gets a bigger bust label because we basically gave up half the draft to get him.

That loss of picks, coupled with the P-Burnt trade after that set back the franchise for years.
Was it Babin that gave up the picks? Was it Buchanon that made the trade. The bust is Casserly! The guy should be banned from the NFL for ever.

It might of set us back a year or two considering next season we're going to be in good shape capwise.
Old 07-06-2007   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Whoops, Deleted
Old 07-06-2007   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Was it Babin that gave up the picks? Was it Buchanon that made the trade. The bust is Casserly! The guy should be banned from the NFL for ever.
2004 Draft (Babin):
Gave up 2nd, 3rd, and something to do with the 4th
(Players Missed)
2nd: Bob Sanders
3rd: Chris Cooley or Matt Scahub
4th: Ernest Wilford or Nathan Vasher

2005 Draft (P-Burnt trade)
Gave up 2nd and 3rd
Players Missed:
Lofa Tatupu
Frank Gore
Chris Henry

Other Casserly Idiocy:
2003:
Benni Joppru over Lance Briggs
Antwan Peek over Jason Witten

2002:
Jabar Gaffney over Clinton Portis
Old 07-06-2007   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

I don't get bummed out too much about Babin for two reasons:

1. The guy was a 4-3 guy in a 3-4 for his first two seasons. He has admitted having trouble with the 3-4. So he wasn't used well and, like several other players, he is starting over in his learning process.

2. While playing in situational downs, Babin garnered 5 sacks (most of any defensive player that year). He also produced comparably to his first two years - again - even without being an every-down kind of player.

In short, I think he is doing fine. I'm not ecstatic, but I think he's doing well. I think the more time in the system, the better he'll play.
Old 07-06-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274145 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope for great things out of our D-line, but I think we'll need to be patient, as well. Okoye, with as much potential, will still just be a very young rookie in a pro league of sharks. He won't be dominant out of the game, and just like Mario, it'll take him awhile just to get used to the speed of the game and the strength of his opponents.

I only mention this because our high hopes need to be more long term than immediate gratification. Otherwise, the inevitable reality of the situation will only serve to pop our collective balloons.
Old 07-06-2007   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I would say I feel positive as far as the future goes, short term though there are just too many unknown quantities. I think this is probably TJ's last chance to cancel his ticket out of town and I think Maddox will be the key to his future. On the one hand having to battle Maddox for the other DT spot will potentially push TJ to wake up and play football. On the other hand having the depth we now have at DT will make it easier to get rid of him. It would have to be a trade to dump him this year, so if he comes to camp physically ready and shows the effort, I look for the PR machine to pump him up to leave open a possible trade. If he doesnt show up ready and put forth the effort, he will ride the pine and they will dump him next offseason. IMHO.
Old 07-06-2007   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Okoye, with as much potential, will still just be a very young rookie in a pro league of sharks. He won't be dominant out of the game, and just like Mario, it'll take him awhile just to get used to the speed of the game and the strength of his opponents.
I'm not so sure. A lot depends on how Okoye is used. I see Amobi as more of a pass rush specialist, initially. And I think it will be the offensive linemen he faces who must adjust to his unique explosiveness. I'd hate to see him worn down playing on an every down basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
While playing in situational downs, Babin garnered 5 sacks (most of any defensive player that year). He also produced comparably to his first two years - again - even without being an every-down kind of player.

In short, I think he is doing fine. I'm not ecstatic, but I think he's doing well. I think the more time in the system, the better he'll play.
I agree, and I think the Texans will be more aggressive with their stunts and games along the defensive front, this season. New DL coach Jethro Franklin did a great job in Green Bay with KGB as a pass rusher. I think he will be a real boon to Babin, as well as the other D-lineman. Isee a career high in sacks for both Babin, and the team.
Old 07-06-2007   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I hope for great things out of our D-line, but I think we'll need to be patient, as well. Okoye, with as much potential, will still just be a very young rookie in a pro league of sharks. He won't be dominant out of the game, and just like Mario, it'll take him awhile just to get used to the speed of the game and the strength of his opponents.

I only mention this because our high hopes need to be more long term than immediate gratification. Otherwise, the inevitable reality of the situation will only serve to pop our collective balloons.
I agree with you completely, but I think it extends much further than just the D-line. "Okoye" could be substituted with any number of players brought into the organization this year.
Old 07-06-2007   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

A surprise? Not really.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read