Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-04-2007   #21
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Look at Our Dead Money Figures: NFL Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I think Kris finally got his confidence back at the end of last year. I don't think we need a new kicker. I like Michael Turner at RB though, would be fine by me if the price were right.
I think that Kris has been a very average kicker for us. Within 40yards he has been average but he is definitly not elite. Akers is an elite fg kicker. Games can be won/lost on long fg kcikers. I say go get an elite kicker if you can.

And yes, Id love Turner here as well. Id also love to see Boss standing next to Meco and behind Amobe , Mario and in front of Dunta.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
If he was instrumental in being AJs "mentor" .
Which should give pause when considering other people who are added as mentors/lockerroom guys.
Old 07-05-2007   #23
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Per Eagles web site, Talk about the Eagles section, 411, How long are players signed for, Akers becomes a rfa in 2010, along with McNabb and Westbrook.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #24
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgl35 View Post
Per Eagles web site, Talk about the Eagles section, 411, How long are players signed for, Akers becomes a rfa in 2010, along with McNabb and Westbrook.
So much for my website. I guess getting Akers was too good to be true.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Moulds was a definite mistake by the new regime. Either they shouldn't have signed him for that money or they shouldn't have cut him. One of those moves was a mistake.
There's something really weird about that whole situation. The Texans tend to keep their grumblies about stuff pretty in-house.

Kubiak said that defenses started playing exotic coverages against AJ that he had never seen before. Part of that, I guess, might have been Moulds having troubles with enough giddyup to go downfield. But I'm guessing some of that was not having a decent running game and difficulty reading defenses and getting the ball to the guy open in coverage.

Moulds caught the ball with regularity early in the season, and FootballOutsiders said that they thought Moulds was done prior to last season but were impressed with what he was able to do. At the end of the season, the Texans weren't throwing the ball much at all and Moulds wasn't getting much thrown his way at all. He was pretty quiet about that.

I just never understood that cut at all.
Old 07-05-2007   #26
real

Moulds probably told them that he didn't want to play anymore...
Old 07-05-2007   #27
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
There's something really weird about that whole situation. The Texans tend to keep their grumblies about stuff pretty in-house.

Kubiak said that defenses started playing exotic coverages against AJ that he had never seen before. Part of that, I guess, might have been Moulds having troubles with enough giddyup to go downfield. But I'm guessing some of that was not having a decent running game and difficulty reading defenses and getting the ball to the guy open in coverage.

Moulds caught the ball with regularity early in the season, and FootballOutsiders said that they thought Moulds was done prior to last season but were impressed with what he was able to do. At the end of the season, the Texans weren't throwing the ball much at all and Moulds wasn't getting much thrown his way at all. He was pretty quiet about that.

I just never understood that cut at all.
I'm sure a lot of it had to do with you know who, at the begginning of the year he did well passing the ball as the season went on his passing ability went downhill. It was only dink and dunk passes. It didn't take long for Moulds to relize he wasn't going to get the ball, because you know who wasn't capeable to get the ball downfield.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2007   #28
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Moulds probably told them that he didn't want to play anymore...
There must be more to it than that.
Old 07-05-2007   #29
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

There may be 37M open next year but dont forget we have some big players that either have contracts that will be up or need renegotiation.

All have contracts through 08.

DRob --- Expect at least a 3M/yr bump
Spencer--- Expect a 2-3M/yr bump
Winston--- Expect a 2-4M/yr bump
Faggins--- Expext 1M/r bump
Daniels--- Expect 2-3M/yr bump
Lundy--- dunno

Will all be UFA's.

Adams, Charlie
Alexander, Roc
Anderson, Charlie
Bruener, Mark
Clark, Danny
Davis, Andre'
Dayne, Ron
Earl, Glenn
Hutchins, Von
Kalu, N.D. If he keeps going like he has expect a 2M/yr bump
Killings, Cedric
McCleon, Dexter
Orr, Shantee
Simmons, Jason
Stanley, Chad
Weary, Fred Expect a 1-2M/yr bump
Wynn, Dexter

Will be RFA's

Brown, C.C. I am thinking he gets a 1M/yr bump
Gado, Samkon
Hodgdon, Drew
Johnson, Thomas
Maddox, Anthony 500k-1M/yr bump
Mathis, Jerome

SO in 08 with 37M open you have alot of depth to resign at about 15-20M, which leaves 17-22M open to sign FA's and Draft picks. But you have to save some because the next year you have 18M worth of raises to pay out and not alot of players leaving.. Of course there are restructures and all the smoke and mirrors that goes along with contracts and stuff, but I dont see us a huge contender in next years FA market either.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
There may be 37M open next year but dont forget we have some big players that either have contracts that will be up or need renegotiation.
I agree that not all of the $37 million will be available for free agency. But, I disagree with much of the estimates given. Way too high in many cases.

Whether the Texans will be major players in free agency will be determined by which players will be available. Without question, the Texans will have plenty of $$$ to spend in free agency, if they choose to do so.
Old 07-05-2007   #31
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Why is it that, when a player retires we still have to pay him the salary he should have got had he kept playing? Surely you would think If a player signs a contract and then retires before fullfilling said contract he should relinquish the remaining years? How does the salary cap work for retirees?
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Why is it that, when a player retires we still have to pay him the salary he should have got had he kept playing?
A retired player doesn't continue to get paid. He may still have some impact on the salary cap, if there is some of his signing bonus yet to be amortized.
Old 07-05-2007   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
I'm sure a lot of it had to do with you know who, at the begginning of the year he did well passing the ball as the season went on his passing ability went downhill. It was only dink and dunk passes. It didn't take long for Moulds to relize he wasn't going to get the ball, because you know who wasn't capeable to get the ball downfield.
There has been speculation that Moulds publicly criticized said player on his radio show last December (I heard it live). He basically stated that WRs are open on most plays, but were not getting the ball thrown to them on a consistent basis. He didn't make a specific point with regards to blame, but the Texans FO has been known to frown upon openly aired grievances in the past.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened, too, but I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 07-05-2007   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There has been speculation that Moulds publicly criticized said player on his radio show last December (I heard it live). He basically stated that WRs are open on most plays, but were not getting the ball thrown to them on a consistent basis. He didn't make a specific point with regards to blame, but the Texans FO has been known to frown upon openly aired grievances in the past.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened, too, but I don't lose any sleep over it.
I agree. Some people might question why Dunta wasn't treated the same. I think the difference between Moulds and Dunta was performance on the field. I think Moulds basically gave up while Dunta was still making an attempt to give 100%.

I like you, I don't mind whacking Moulds. The cap hit doesn't really diddle my dingy though.
Old 07-05-2007   #35
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

There should be some creep in next year's salary cap, because of increases in revenue as well. That came to the aid of Washington last year as everyone saw no possible way they'd be under the cap and were looking at a cap Armageddon. They got saved by the new collective bargaining agreement and the increase in revenues.

I don't think we'll need as much money as was estimated above to re-sign and extend the folks we need, so the Texans should be fine with their cap number. We'll be able to compete for some big names. It won't be like the New York Yankees spending or even the 49ers this year, but we can be active.

Another thing we might have to look at is Matt Schaub. If he proves to be everything we'd hope, then he'll be looking for a new deal. I know we signed him for a couple of years, but I remember the deal being pretty club friendly. If that's the case and he's tearing it up, we'll need to pony up the cash to lock him in long term.

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #36
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well yeah. Moulds made the same evaluation that the front office made about said player.

I'm guessing he didn't like the idea of a diminished roll in 2007.
Old 07-05-2007   #37
real

I thought Eric made the comments after he was cut...
Old 07-05-2007   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree. Some people might question why Dunta wasn't treated the same. I think the difference between Moulds and Dunta was performance on the field. I think Moulds basically gave up while Dunta was still making an attempt to give 100%.
I think it helped that Dunta was a first round pick, our best CB, and made the comments after the season was already over.

From what I've heard, him and Carr are still friends, though. So maybe he was just openly talking about something he knew was in the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Well yeah. Moulds made the same evaluation that the front office made about said player.

I'm guessing he didn't like the idea of a diminished roll in 2007.
yeah, probably a little of both, IMO. With his production and skills dropping, along with his potential mouth, many teams are probably hesitant to pick him up right now.

I liked the guy, but I don't have any insight about what goes on behind the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I thought Eric made the comments after he was cut...
It was in December 2006, IIRC. It was his weekly radio show from some sports bar, but it was during the regular season.
Old 07-05-2007   #39
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Its really nothing more than we were wrong about what Moulds had left in the tank! Other teams were right, he is to old to play at a high level for a full season. Moulds legs tired druing the season and you could see him failing to get seperation from db's. Even thought Carr was unable to get the ball to him anyway, you can see on film he was strugging to break away and if Carr had been an adequate Qb he would not have had a target in Moulds. Most of Moulds early catchs were short comeback routes early in the year before he broke down. The fact is we just misjudged the guy and on any other team that may not hurt but with the past regimes many misses this one by the new crew hurts.
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it helped that Dunta was a first round pick, our best CB, and made the comments after the season was already over.

From what I've heard, him and Carr are still friends, though. So maybe he was just openly talking about something he knew was in the works?
IIRC, he'd made some post game locker room comments. Something along the lines of "we all know what the problem is, we need to fix it". He never said any names, but it was apparent who he was referring to at the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read