Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A way too early breakdown

Well its early... and there's nothing really going on... I said that its too early to do this... but I can't help myself... it sure beats talking about the morning show on 610 (which I can't get in CA anyways) here's my preprepreprepreveiw of the season: Its a copy and paste from another place... but I figure why not get blasted for my view here too...

Before I get blasted for my position let me defend myself. We have no 2nd reciever. Our QB, while he's not a rook, is a first year starter in a new offense (I know there are similarities, but I still expect a few weeks to get it rolling), our secondary is still among the worst in the league and our O/L is still suspect. I just don't think a team with that many concerns waltzes into most NFL teams houses and wins ball games. I think this is another learning year for us and that this year's 6-10 is much better than last years. That said I think Indy sweeps us, we split with the thumbtacks and the Jags. I think that the first few weeks of the season the defense keeps the games manageable but until we find some stability on offense we struggle. If we get it together quicker than I expect I could see us going 7-9 or even 8-8 but I'm not sure. It was reported (I'll find the link if anyone doesn't believe me... but I'll have to do some digging) that other teams felt our offense was very predictable last year. That they could tell by the way we lined up what we were doing especially in the running game. I was asking for Schaub from about December and in no way am I down on the team... I just think we have an extremely hard schedule with very little time to recoup from tough games. The second half of the season is much kinder to us than the first half. Schaub gets his sea legs... and it is real promise since we know we're going to keep the same core on offense and defense... for the first time in our history I pick us to win more than 7 games in a season going into 08.

Sunday, Sep. 9 Kansas City at Houston L
People cite change, but the reality is their defense should be better than average and that is still a powerful offense. I know that Green is not the starter this year but they have the same starter back from last year. I just don't think we're ready.
Sunday, Sep. 16 Houston at Carolina L
This is a solid team. They were a let down last year and if people talk about us being under rated what are these guys? Peppers meet Matt Schau.... oh I see you two know each other already.
Sunday, Sep. 23 Indianapolis at Houston L
Our step parents (lets be honest that's how they've treated us 9/10 times on the field) take anger out from last year.
Sunday, Sep. 30 Houston at Atlanta L
This is probably going to be one of my least popular picks... Of course MV may not be playing
Sunday, Oct. 7 Miami at Houston L
They have a QB. Since we've had the 'skin back in our yard Miami hasn't had a real QB.
Sunday, Oct. 14 Houston at Jacksonville L
Sunday, Oct. 21 Tennessee at Houston W
Vince comes home... this time he's not so welcome. Pacman not there to gobble up return yards... DC not there to get sacked
Sunday, Oct. 28 Houston at San Diego L
Yeah right
Sunday, Nov. 4 Houston at Oakland W
How do you cure "'Blues"? Play the Offwhite and Dark Grey... seriously- this year Oakland would have a hard time competing for the SEC championship.
Monday, Nov. 12 Open date: Houston, New England, N.Y. Jets, Tampa Bay
Sunday, Nov. 18 New Orleans at Houston L
Bush doesn't do much... its the Brees,Colston,Deuce show though.
Sunday, Nov. 25 Houston at Cleveland W
Surely by this time another LT of the future will be hurt. Seriously see my comments about the Raiders.
Sunday, Dec. 2 Houston at Tennessee W
Vince's squad just isn't that nice. Our offense is starting to show real progress.
Sunday, Dec. 9 Tampa Bay at Houston W
We win 3 in a row for the first time in team history...

Thursday, Dec. 13 Denver at Houston L
They've been doing what we're trying to do longer and better than we have
Sunday, Dec. 23 Houston at Indianapolis L
Uhh.... do I need to explain this one?
Sunday, Dec. 30 Jacksonville at Houston W
You didn't really think I'd pick them to sweep us did you?

Yeah... I look at this team and I don't see an 0-6 team. I see a 2-4 team. But I just think that with all of the new parts on offense its going to be tough at the beginning of the season. Oddly enough, and I'm going to get crucified for saying this... I think DC would fare better in the first 6 games. I liked him... thought he got the shaft... thought the organization did little to give him the necessary weapons and felt he was the victim of bad coaching that may never be undone. All of that said... I was very vocal (though not here, I mostly lurk here now) about the need to get Matt. I think in the long run (game 7 and beyond) Matt is the way to go.

I should make the same disclaimer that I made last year though- when I said we would go 6-10 as well- we will win some of the games we shouldn't (we might bite Indy/Denver etc) and then turn around and lose a game we shouldn't (Oakland/Cleveland etc.) This team will look amazing at times and horrible at others. That goes with the territory when you have a young head coach, a young defense, a first year starting QB and we're waiting for #2 receiver to emerge. I said all last year that we are going to have patience, but this is the real emergence of a talented team. For the first time since the great koolaid fest of 05... and this time I really think its warranted.... I feel good about the direction of the team.

Mike

Last edited by Texanmike02; 07-03-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A VERY early breakdown

Like you said, nothing else better to do:

Sunday, Sep. 9 Kansas City at Houston
People cite change, but the reality is their defense should be better than average and that is still a powerful offense. I know that Green is not the starter this year but they have the same starter back from last year. I just don't think we're ready.
I think the Chefs are a paper tiger. Edwards ran LJ way too many times last year and by the end of the year, his legs were gone. Most RB's that have been ridden that hard fall to pieces the next year.

I think this is a very winnable game for us.

Sunday, Sep. 16 Houston at Carolina
This is a solid team. They were a let down last year and if people talk about us being under rated what are these guys? Peppers meet Matt Schau.... oh I see you two know each other already.
This is going to be a real test for us. I think we probably drop this one.

Sunday, Sep. 23 Indianapolis at Houston
Our step parents (lets be honest that's how they've treated us 9/10 times on the field) take anger out from last year.
I think Kubiak knows how to beat the Colts. But knowing what to do and getting it done are two different things. I think we drop this one.

Sunday, Sep. 30 Houston at Atlanta
This is probably going to be one of my least popular picks... Of course MV may not be playing
I think the Falcons are going to be really bad this year. I think we win this game.

Sunday, Oct. 7 Miami at Houston
They have a QB. Since we've had the 'skin back in our yard Miami hasn't had a real QB.
Trent Green is finished. He didn't look good last year before or after the concussion. We win this game

Sunday, Oct. 14 Houston at Jacksonville
This is going to be war. It could go either way so let's figure it a loss.

Sunday, Oct. 21 Tennessee at Houston
Vince comes home... this time he's not so welcome. Pacman not there to gobble up return yards... DC not there to get sacked
I agree. Fisher is a great coach and doesn't get the credit for what he's been able to do but we dominated them at times last year and we're going to be better this year.

Sunday, Oct. 28 Houston at San Diego
Yeah right
I am going to be at this game.

But I was at the Dallas game last year, so I'm not much of a good luck charm.

Sunday, Nov. 4 Houston at Oakland
How do you cure "'Blues"? Play the Offwhite and Dark Grey... seriously- this year Oakland would have a hard time competing for the SEC championship.
I wonder if their defense is going to be as good as it was last year? I'm not expecting much from their offense. Win.

Sunday, Nov. 18 New Orleans at Houston
Overall, I think the Saints are just too powerful at this point.

Sunday, Nov. 25 Houston at Cleveland
Surely by this time another LT of the future will be hurt. Seriously see my comments about the Raiders.
I'm wondering if Crennel still has a job by this point.

Sunday, Dec. 2 Houston at Tennessee
Vince's squad just isn't that nice. Our offense is starting to show real progress.
I'll agree with that.

Sunday, Dec. 9 Tampa Bay at Houston
Tampa Bay fields a team composed entirely of QB's.

I think this will be a good game but Denver is so perenially good. I expect a loss here. It will be a real prime time test for us.

I will be at this game, too.

See comments about my charm value above.

I'll go with this.

So... I have us at 9-7 by my logic above. BUT... I will only predict an 8-8.

And, yes, I had us at 6-10 last year, too.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A VERY early breakdown

BOOOOOOO ! I'd rather read something positive .

The Chiefs lost their best offensive linemen and their QB ... who's their WRs . I don't remember their defense being good . W

Carolina was 8-8 last year but it's a road game . L

Colts ... L

Atlanta ... this is a toss up right now ... so I'll pick us . W

Miami has a QB ... really . W

Jags ... we have their number . W

Titans ... except for VY their best players are gone or going to be in jail . W

Chargers ... L .

Oakland we beat them with a - 32 yds passing ... W .

At this point I say we lose to the Saints , Broncos , Jags .

We beat the Browns , Titans , Tampa , and Colts .

There 10-6 ... your team should always win in July .
Old 07-03-2007   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A way too early breakdown

- New England didn't have a #1 receiver and made it to the conference final. San Diego went 14-2 without a #1 receiver. WR is the most overrated position on the field. If Daniels continues to improve and Green is catching a lot of balls out of the backfield it will open up the field more for AJ.
- The QB position was upgraded.
- Our secondary is not the worst in the NFL. Maybe not the best, but definitely not the worst. They replaced Lewis Sanders with Jamar Fletcher. We'll have an upgraded Free Safety (I'm guessing that Von Hutchins or Dex McCleon fills in nicely). And I would look for one of the rookies to step in and make some plays). Plus the added pressure upfront will magically improve the secondary.
- The OLine will be upgraded by Eric Winston having a lot more experience and a QB with some semblence of pocket presence.

Any given Sunday.... but no way this team goes 0-6 to start the season IMO.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #5
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: A way too early breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
- New England didn't have a #1 receiver and made it to the conference final. San Diego went 14-2 without a #1 receiver. WR is the most overrated position on the field. If Daniels continues to improve and Green is catching a lot of balls out of the backfield it will open up the field more for AJ.
- The QB position was upgraded.
- Our secondary is not the worst in the NFL. Maybe not the best, but definitely not the worst. They replaced Lewis Sanders with Jamar Fletcher. We'll have an upgraded Free Safety (I'm guessing that Von Hutchins or Dex McCleon fills in nicely). And I would look for one of the rookies to step in and make some plays). Plus the added pressure upfront will magically improve the secondary.
- The OLine will be upgraded by Eric Winston having a lot more experience and a QB with some semblence of pocket presence.

Any given Sunday.... but no way this team goes 0-6 to start the season IMO.
I have a hard time seeing them start 0-6 actually. I really do.. but I picked the games individually. Undoubtedly (as stated in my disclaimer) a ball will bounce our way and we will win a game we shouldn't. I'll be watching a LOT of preseason and my opinion will probably change after the 3rd game... Like last year I think however that the first 6 to 8 games we will be basically a 2-14 team.. and by the end of the year we will have developed into an 8-8 quality team. But at this point its all speculation until Dec 31st anyways

Mike
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Sunday, Sep. 9 Kansas City at Houston L
Sunday, Sep. 16 Houston at Carolina L
Sunday, Sep. 23 Indianapolis at Houston L
Sunday, Sep. 30 Houston at Atlanta L
Sunday, Oct. 7 Miami at Houston L
Sunday, Oct. 14 Houston at Jacksonville L
Sunday, Oct. 21 Tennessee at Houston W
Sunday, Oct. 28 Houston at San Diego L
Yeah right
Sunday, Nov. 4 Houston at Oakland W
Sunday, Nov. 18 New Orleans at Houston L
Sunday, Nov. 25 Houston at Cleveland W
Sunday, Dec. 2 Houston at Tennessee W
Sunday, Dec. 9 Tampa Bay at Houston W

Mike
Going to disagree with most of this.

KC: W.
Ok they have Larry Johnson, then who? So Huard pulled an AJ feelely and had a few good games, he has been to numorous other teams through out his NFL career and nothing has panned out there. There D still stinks, they lost there starting LT, we have there backup LT, and they still don't have a D to speak of. Oh, and Herm Edwards is the HC.

Panthers: W
Are you kidding me? You have us losing? This is a team were there backup QB is better than there starter and that "other guy" who would throw Jesus himself under the bus for having a bad game. DW is an unproven starter, Foster is over rated, Smith still makes dumb mistakes and they have a rookie number 2 receiver. There once dominating D is not what it once was.

Indy: W
Maybe its the Homer in me but we do not lose to the Colts at home, not on Kubes watch, not while we have a pretty solid (and should be healthy after only 3 weeks) running game. I see a heatly Williams and AO giving Manning fits all day.

Atlanta: W
With a new system and all the stuff MV has gone through, plus a sub par WR core and an average D. Lets not forget, MS goes back to Atlanta with something to prove. This is a game that could go either way but in the case of a tie, the Texans win by default.

Miami: W
Who is the only team to have never beat the Texans? Miami. Why should that change now, at home, with Capers coming back to town? Are we affraid of the combo of Ginn Jr. and Green?

Jags: W
When do we ever lose to Jacksonville?

Flamers: W
I will never pick them to win, ever. Especialy at home.

Chargers: L
LT is too much along with Rivers in his second year and Gates having a rebound year.

Oakland: L
Its there second week in a row to Cali and they just got beat up the week before. They come out tired and flat and the Raiders D gets revenge from last year.

NO: W
Who Deaux? Still the Saints. They will suffer an emotional let down this year and will return to there subpar selves. There D is still average at best (they played above there abilities last year on an emotional high) McCallister I suspect will become hurt toward the end of the year leaving the Golden boy to carry a load he is not ready to handle. Also they are without a number two receiver after letting Horn go.

Cleveland: W
Thats a toss up. So I go with the Texans. I expect good things from Cleveland this year. They still don't have a running game but the team is shaping up to be solid.

Flamers: W
See the first entry.

Tampa: W
A team in turmoil, Gruden is fired by now, and these Pirates are going down with the ship.

Denver: L
I am not that much of a homer.

Indy: L
See the last statement

Jacksonville: W
See the first statement, especialy if its Battle Red.

Yea I know right now it looks like 12-4 but I have two ties that could make it 10-6.

To me this is the easiest schedule the Texans have had in a long time.

In the end predicting W/L is alot like playing spades, you won't know till all the cards are laid out on the table.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #7
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

cheifs- win

who's the qb in kc.
yea yea. texans qb is untested too. its at home. texans win.

panthers- win.
they took d carr. now they learn why that wasn't smart.

colts- win.
we should lose. but manning will get hurt the week before and sit out for precaution.

falcons- win.
vick will be suspended by then. atl sent us the backup. they're screwed.

dolphins- win.
dom don't win. plain and simple.

jags- win.
its jacksonville. texans don't lose to them. never again.

titans- win.
vince wishes he was an oiler so much he goes to dome and misses game

chargers- loss.
lt + rivers. no way

raiders- win.
its the raiders. they ain't what they was.

saints- loss.
should have taken reggie. oh wait, we're doing just fine aftering coming in 8-1

browns- win.
i laugh at the browns. and watch texans win.

titans- loss.
its at thier place. vince remembers to show up.

bucs- win.
qb issues galore

broncos- loss.
texans come in with better record. still lose.

colts- loss.
texans shut out for first time as colts roll 35-0

jags- win.
see first description.

11-5
its that playoffs?
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read