Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-06-2007   #81
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair ranked 7th best owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Jets offered that (or maybe a 4th instead of a 3rd)
Casserly wanted two 1sts and a 2nd
Where are you coming up with this? Do you have a link? I remember the Jets being mentioned as a possible trade candidate, but never heard of an actual proposal.
Old 07-06-2007   #82
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
More skill position players in nearly a decade? It sounds like ESPN has you wrapped around their little finger. If you think a running QB that can't throw more TD's than INT's and barely completes 50% of his passes is the best QB of the last decade... or a 3rd down scatback that is more like Eric Metcalf than LaDainian Tomlinson is the best RB of the last decade... then you don't watch much NFL football. There is a long list of players at each of these positions that are far more productive than these guys.

I completely disagree that the draft was a "screw up" and view it as one of the best in the entire NFL last season based on player production. Not highlight reels... actual production.

I can't believe it.

I agree with wonger.

Old 07-06-2007   #83
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Hope everyone had a great July 4th. Went down to Freeport and it was a freaking mess. Good fireworks show but was pretty much a shut-in all holiday long.

cupacoffee. nothing personal. I don't think your a troll or a dumbarse or anything. you seem pretty intelligent and probably a good guy to share a cupacoffee with. I just feel that you are lacking when it comes to Texans-related analysis. Your past record on the big issues isn't exactly stellar. I am an opinionated guy but I have been proved to be correct on so many Texans personnel issues that I have posted about as Second Honeymoon or my original banned identity from '02-'04, Honeymoon Is Over (RIP).
Everythings fine with me too.

I considered the discussion over when the best you could come up with is "the fat coach at Notre Dame".

But then you topped it with the juvenile/asinine remark "my pee pee hurts" whatever that means.

We're through... for now.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 07-06-2007 at 11:48 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #84
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the biggest mistake in the 2006 draft was passing on the ability to fix the offense in basically 1 draft.

Draft Bush number 1
or
Draft VY number 1
or
Trade 1st pick to Jets for 2 1sts and a 3rd
The Urban Legend continues

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #85
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
The Urban Legend continues
yes it does

the mistake was sticking with Carr

then not giving him a #1 option in Reggie Bush or trade down a couple picks & address protection D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

on McNair you bet it is but getting rid of Casserly priceless

now we can move forward with the type of management that made McNair a success in the first place Bob will ascend much higher than just 7th nobody is perfect, well maybe Vince Young

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #86
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Where are you coming up with this? Do you have a link? I remember the Jets being mentioned as a possible trade candidate, but never heard of an actual proposal.
On the post draft thing they have on Channel 13, McNair and Casserly were on. When asked about trade offers, they said the Jets offered them the two firsts, and a mid round pick, but they wanted a 2nd rounder thrown in, which didn't happen.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #87
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On the post draft thing they have on Channel 13, McNair and Casserly were on. When asked about trade offers, they said the Jets offered them the two firsts, and a mid round pick, but they wanted a 2nd rounder thrown in, which didn't happen.
Did anyone record this? I watched that draft review, and I don't remember that at all. Seems that would have resulted in some discussions regarding that that proposal on the message boards. I can't find that, either.

I do remember that on either ESPN or the NFL network draft day coverage, someone reported that the Jets had offered the Saints a 4th round pick to move from #4 to #2. The Saints turned that offer down (the only one they received) and took Reggie for themselves.
Old 07-06-2007   #88
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a big time source in the Casserly regime and he told me we started asking for 3 first round picks as compensation and everyone laughed at us (loose translation). This is just rumor...so take it fwiw.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #89
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I had a big time source in the Casserly regime and he told me we started asking for 3 first round picks as compensation and everyone laughed at us (loose translation). This is just rumor...so take it fwiw.
The Texans asked for 3 x first rounders? Really??........ I mean with a straight face????
Old 07-06-2007   #90
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Wow. Simply wow. How could they not take that trade? We could have probably still gotten Mario at #4 and if not we could have gotten Ferguson for sure and of course the extra 1st Round pick plus filler. So we get Mario for a cheaper price, less pressure on him, less pressure on the Texans including #8, more talent on the field, and we save ourselves from some national egg we got on our face. like it or not, we got big time egg on our face until Mario starts making the Pro Bowl on an almost annual basis.

your quote just makes me despise Asserley that much more. i never knew he actually stated what he was offered in trade, i thought it was just rumors.

here is to hoping that Mario starts to pay dividends this year.
i don't need instant gratification or a Pro Bowl appearance but I hope to see some marked improvement this year from #90 this year and I know I am not the only one.
Old 07-06-2007   #91
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The Texans asked for 3 x first rounders? Really??........ I mean with a straight face????
that's what I heard...I posted this a few times last year after the draft. I negotiate for a living so I understand posturing for more than you think you are going to get...but asking for way too much is a sign of arrogance/stupidity too.

Old 07-06-2007   #92
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it. The fanbase screaming, "Trade Down!" and Casserly is simultaneously demanding 3 first rounders.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #93
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Did anyone record this? I watched that draft review, and I don't remember that at all. Seems that would have resulted in some discussions regarding that that proposal on the message boards. I can't find that, either.

I do remember that on either ESPN or the NFL network draft day coverage, someone reported that the Jets had offered the Saints a 4th round pick to move from #4 to #2. The Saints turned that offer down (the only one they received) and took Reggie for themselves.
That was what I remembered from the Draft Day coverage. I thought that was a bit low of a price and thought the Jets must be dreaming if they thought a 4th Round pick would get that done.
Old 07-06-2007   #94
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
that's what I heard...I posted this a few times last year after the draft. I negotiate for a living so I understand posturing for more than you think you are going to get...but asking for way too much is a sign of arrogance/stupidity too.
that is just insulting. what gets my goat is if they valued Bush as worth three 1st Round picks then why in the hell did the draft Mario over him?

Oh well, whats done is done but that doesnt make me despise Casserley any less. He drafted Heath Shuler and David Carr. Two of the most colossal QB busts in recent history. Are we sure he didn't have a hand in the drafting of Ryan Leaf as well? I am so freaking glad McNair kicked his butt to the curb and replaced him with someone who seems to know what the hell he is doing.

Rick Smith has done an exemplary job since he arrived. The fact that he had the gonads to jettison Carr one year into his deal just shows he has juevos of steel. I also love the fact that he is young and a minority. It shows that McNair isn't afraid to be progressive in his front office talent. I am sure Denver's owner Bolen (sic) gave RS a glowing review to Bob. He is a damn good owner too and I respect the Broncos organization as much as any other AFC team. I hope it falls into place this year and the Texans can be more competitive and become a more entertaining product on the field as well.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 07-06-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #95
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was what I remembered from the Draft Day coverage. I thought that was a bit low of a price and thought the Jets must be dreaming if they thought a 4th Round pick would get that done.
They were probably hoping to catch the Saints with their pants down. The Saints had less than 24 Hrs from the Texans announcement of agreeing with Mario to turning in their card. And, that's probably what it was worth to the Jets to move up. They had no intention of tossing away their draft for one player.

Which again shows that Bush was not as highly thought of as the media portrayed. If he were universally thought of as a transcendent talent, someone would have offered a Ricky Williams deal.
Old 07-06-2007   #96
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Which again shows that Bush was not as highly thought of as the media portrayed. If he were universally thought of as a transcendent talent, someone would have offered a Ricky Williams deal.
I think Bush is an elite talent but that draft had talent rated very highly at LT, DE, RB, and at QB...all positions that are critical to NFL teams. No reason to give up the bank if you are going to get an elite player if you stand pat.

Old 07-06-2007   #97
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick Smith has done an exemplary job since he arrived. The fact that he had the gonads to jettison Carr one year into his deal just shows he has juevos of steel.
I think it shows he had permission to do so.
Old 07-06-2007   #98
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think it shows he had permission to do so.
oh yes, without a doubt. mcnair had as big of a hand in getting rid of Carr than he did in resigning him. he admitted he made a mistake. when you are a billionaire and have investors on your back, it takes gonads of steel to cut bait not even 12 months after such a crippling and widely panned move was made. he wasn't stubborn and approved the release of DC. I give McNair credit for Carr being gone and I give RS credit for not just being a yes man, as I am sure he informed McNair that Carr was not the answer and that they needed to cut bait ASAP. They both are to be applauded this offseason. I do kinda wish we could have found a way to keep Moulds though. I wonder if there is stuff we don't know about in relation to Moulds.
Old 07-06-2007   #99
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this is the only 'evidence' ive ever seen of trade negotiations

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...22/mmqb/1.html
Quote:
Reminds me of last year before the draft when then-Houston GM Charley Casserly, trying to gauge interest with teams below him for the first overall pick, called New Orleans, Tennessee and the Jets. Casserly asked Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, "You interested in moving from four to one?''
"Sure,'' said Tannenbaum. "What else are you going to give me for it?''
id like to think if we did get any type of offer from the jets, kubiak and co. would've forced asserley to take it (after settling on mario- with d'brick as our emergency pick)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #100
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario and Reggie were the top two prospects on the Texans draft board. Reggie held out, and there was no guarantee at the time that Mario would fall to us at #4 or beyond.

Hindsight being 20/20, we can all be great GMs. (and the fact that it's all speculation as to where teams ranked players, other than a few quote nuggets, plays no small part in trying to analyze previous drafts.)

I think the 'truth' is more about Casserly trying to work the impossible deal than it was we were offered viable trades. Like Vinny has said many times, it was a very deep draft, so teams did not have to work as hard or make huge deals to get some great talent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read