Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-02-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly top 10 in worst sports GMs

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness...ge_s_recent_li

Quote:
Charlie Casserly
Houston Texans

Casserly drafted QB David Carr to be the face of the franchise, but his failure to put together an offensive line that could protect Carr left the young QB on his back for much of his tenure in Houston. Carr's tenure ended after the 2006 season, when he was released.

Worst move as general manager: Armed with the first pick overall in the 2006 draft, Casserly had first crack at selecting the already-anointed football Jesus, USC running back Reggie Bush. Casserly passed on Bush, and on Houston native Vince Young of the University of Texas, to select the talented and low-profile defensive end Mario Williams. This selection prompted the Houston fan base to collectively ask, “Who?”
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Casserly top 10 in worst sports GMs

wow no matt millen
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
wow no matt millen
My thoughts as well
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
wow no matt millen
Exactly,

i also take offense to the writers assertion that his "worst" move was the selection of Mario over VY & RB. Truthfully, neither of these guys has really proved anything remotely close to the billing they received so i don't know what he's basing that off of besides hype. IMO the PBUC deal was the worst move he made.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the author is on the money about his shots at Casserly for the Carr pick followed by a failure to provide him with adequate protection up front.
But its well known that Casserly was enamored with Bush, however as a lame-duck GM it was not him but the rookie HC at the time who passed on the USC back, so the author didn't have the story right on that one.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think the author is on the money about his shots at Casserly for the Carr pick followed by a failure to provide him with adequate protection up front.
But its well known that Casserly was enamored with Bush, however as a lame-duck GM it was not him but the rookie HC at the time who passed on the USC back, so the author didn't have the story right on that one.
I think Carr's protection issue is so over blown in the media....Carr was the key reason he didn't have good protection. If the linemen don't know where you are, it's hard to protect you. Carr couldn't operate in a pocket, made poor decisions, couldn't read a defense and it killed the entire offense. I think we will see the line made up of mostly the same players play quite well this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think Carr's protection issue is so over blown in the media....Carr was the key reason he didn't have good protection. If the linemen don't know where you are, it's hard to protect you. Carr couldn't operate in a pocket, made poor decisions, couldn't read a defense and it killed the entire offense. I think we will see the line made up of mostly the same players play quite well this year.
I agree the o-line will be better without Carr at QB, and I think it would have been better in years past without Carr at QB. I don't think it will be "good" if good is considered average. I think the o-line will be the weak point of the offense due to a couple of weak links.

All that being said, I think if the Texans truly become a running team they will be capitalizing on the line's strength and hiding its weakness. If they try to be a passing team (with five and seven step drops) I think they'll find that McKinney/Flanagan and Salaam/Black aren't up to the task.

I predict that any Texans' success this year is based on a stout defense and lots of running plays.

And to go back on topic with the thread, the old regime coaching was far worse than Casserly's GM'ing.
Old 07-02-2007   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly wasn't a GM. He was an order desk clerk dressed in a GM figurehead suit. A short suit at that.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Kevin McHale would be on that list as well as Millen.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just supports my theory that you cant say Texans without saying bad oline... I think Casserly was a horrible GM, but Matt MIllen is WAY more deserving of that spot than Cass. Ill say worst move is Pendry to O cordinator. P Buc had potential to be a really good fit here, were as Pendry was a bum. Or Fangio running the defense so badly for so long.
Old 07-03-2007   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Just supports my theory that you cant say Texans without saying bad oline... I think Casserly was a horrible GM, but Matt MIllen is WAY more deserving of that spot than Cass. Ill say worst move is Pendry to O cordinator. P Buc had potential to be a really good fit here, were as Pendry was a bum. Or Fangio running the defense so badly for so long.
I gotta agree with that one.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

This is typical national writer. "Hey, it is the Texans and I've never watched their games but I will follow the company line and throw out O-line." In general, the things they mentioned didn't even scratch the surface of why Casserly was so horrible.
Old 07-06-2007   #13
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

What's funny is that Casserly is one of the worst, but not for the reasons the writer gives.

The bloated contracts, the obsession with the age of 30, absurd trades, and refusal to cut bait with David Carr - those are better reasons.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read